+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shop built 2x72 belt grinder

Post Thanks / Like

Shop built 2x72 belt grinder

I decided to build a 2x72 belt grinder based on jeremy schmidt's design. This is what I have so far using a 3hp 3 phase motor and a imported vfd rated for 3hp

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    LONGEVITY 250EX w/ 25' weldcraft cs310 torch
    Torchmate w/ Hypertherm powermax 85
    withFLASHCUT CNC PRO SERIES CONTROLS

2. Likes wb4rt, ronsii, Mikel_24, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop built 2x72 belt grinder

Nice looking work, I built one about a year ago great plans to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

4. Likes jbr, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbr View Post
    I decided to build a 2x72 belt grinder based on jeremy schmidt's design. This is what I have so far using a 3hp 3 phase motor and a imported vfd rated for 3hp

Sweet! I like that "platen" attachment. Details on it?

6. Likes jbr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to get technical what is shown is a platenless grinder attachment. A platen would be mounted directly behind the belt between the 2 rollers, this stops any deflexion of the belt as material is being ground.
    Now to give you how to make one watch this this one has a platen
    Hypertherm 65
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I have so far for the platten, need refinement but works

Post Thanks / Like

that looks like it will do the job, the only thing is to adjust the platen so the belt is almost touching. That way there is no friction between the belt and platen, until you are grinding.
    Hypertherm 65
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

10. Likes jbr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    that looks like it will do the job, the only thing is to adjust the platen so the belt is almost touching. That way there is no friction between the belt and platen, until you are grinding.
    Nicely Done I just finished one a while back as well!

Name:  IMG_5642.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  168.5 KB
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

12. Likes jbr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    If you really want to get technical what is shown is a platenless grinder attachment. A platen would be mounted directly behind the belt between the 2 rollers, this stops any deflexion of the belt as material is being ground.
    Now to give you how to make one watch this this one has a platen
    '

Haha, yes. That is why I put "platen" in quotes. I wasn't sure what to call it.

I like that design for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Are these 2x72 belt grinders any better than a stationary disc sander, 4" belt etc? What's the hype all about?

Post Thanks / Like

In some ways yes it is very easy to change a belt the a disc, and you can have more optional tools with a belt grinder.
    Hypertherm 65
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farrier-1 View Post
    Are these 2x72 belt grinders any better than a stationary disc sander, 4" belt etc? What's the hype all about?
    Yeah
    I don’t see the hype either

Dont get me wrong,
    Lots of nice work building these things... in this thread,

But they take up way too much space for justification... for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Yeah
    I don’t see the hype either

Dont get me wrong,
    Lots of nice work building these things... in this thread,

But they take up way too much space for justification... for me.
    Actually I see it the opposite. They take up less space than a 6x48 belt sander, or a 12" disc sander.

They are more convenient, easy to change the belts, the belts are way cheap and can be found for about $1/ea and it's easy to fabricate different types of attachments. That's why they're so popular. I don't have one, but have planned to build one, not because they're hype, but because they look like a better mouse trap.

Post Thanks / Like

I have low end sanders that I use. One is a 12" disc sander. I really like it but the grit wears out quickly and it's a pain in my *** to remove the pad. I wouldn't mind a quick change belt at all.

If it pencil's out, I just might have to fab up a 2x72 belt grinder. Surly not going to spend $2-3k on a commercial unit.

19. Likes jbr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice build. I've been following Schmidt's videos and always get a kick out of what that kid comes up with. He definitely thinks outside the box!

100% yes! No matter what you do around the house, a 2x72 is orders of magnitude better than your average disk/belt combo from some big box store. Not only can you get a huge selection of belts, but the quality of the abrasive and the speed with which you can change the belts is amazing. General tinkering, woodworking, metal stuff.... everything is better when you have a 2x72 nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Yeah
    I don’t see the hype either. But they take up way too much space for justification... for me.
    It depends on how you build them, really. You can make a version that takes a shorter belt, like the 2x36 or 2x48, and they do quite well for 90% of what you might need. You'll go through more belts simply because there's less belt to wear, but they are still infinitely useful around the house. If you don't like the stick-out, go vertical much like the Kalamazoo version. Some say this limits what accessories you can use, and how you can use the thing, but it might be great for what you need, and it takes up no more space than your average bench grinder.

I wouldn't mind a quick change belt at all. If it pencil's out, I just might have to fab up a 2x72 belt grinder. Surly not going to spend $2-3k on a commercial unit.
    Make it pencil out and you'll be happy that you did. I was a lot like you back in the day and have been kicking myself ever since I first turned my 2x72 on. It's dreamy being able to go from 36-grit to knock down welds and thirty seconds later I have on a Scotchbrite belt for doing fine polishing.

The key to a good 2x72 is the motor. You want at least 1.5hp, and if you can rig up some can of variable speed drive it's even better. Any motor under 1hp will bog down easily. It's not a deal breaker if that's all you have on hand, but you'll definitely find yourself looking for something more powerful sooner rather than later.

21. Likes jbr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Very nice build. I've been following Schmidt's videos and always get a kick out of what that kid comes up with. He definitely thinks outside the box!

100% yes! No matter what you do around the house, a 2x72 is orders of magnitude better than your average disk/belt combo from some big box store. Not only can you get a huge selection of belts, but the quality of the abrasive and the speed with which you can change the belts is amazing. General tinkering, woodworking, metal stuff.... everything is better when you have a 2x72 nearby.

It depends on how you build them, really. You can make a version that takes a shorter belt, like the 2x36 or 2x48, and they do quite well for 90% of what you might need. You'll go through more belts simply because there's less belt to wear, but they are still infinitely useful around the house. If you don't like the stick-out, go vertical much like the Kalamazoo version. Some say this limits what accessories you can use, and how you can use the thing, but it might be great for what you need, and it takes up no more space than your average bench grinder.

Make it pencil out and you'll be happy that you did. I was a lot like you back in the day and have been kicking myself ever since I first turned my 2x72 on. It's dreamy being able to go from 36-grit to knock down welds and thirty seconds later I have on a Scotchbrite belt for doing fine polishing.

The key to a good 2x72 is the motor. You want at least 1.5hp, and if you can rig up some can of variable speed drive it's even better. Any motor under 1hp will bog down easily. It's not a deal breaker if that's all you have on hand, but you'll definitely find yourself looking for something more powerful sooner rather than later.
    I agree

23. Likes VaughnT liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist