+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Of Light

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed Of Light

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    If you are in space all stars are white.

Once the light comes through the daytime blue atmosphere it is turned yellow.
    Hmmmmmmmm,, I found this,,

Why Are There No Purple or Green Stars?

"Stars are a multicolored bunch. There are red giants on the verge of explosions. Big blue ones that shine in the belt of the constellation Orion and other places. And there are ordinary yellow ones like our sun that might be stable and warm enough to support life.
    The color of a star is linked to its surface temperature. The hotter the star, the shorter the wavelength of light it will emit. The hottest ones are blue or blue-white, which are shorter wavelengths of light. Cooler ones are red or red-brown, which are longer wavelengths. "

https://www.livescience.com/34469-pu...ar-colors.html

But, I doubt that those guys know everything??

2. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So basically your "all stars are white" argument is another common sense/gut feeling you have and not based on any written/published/established thinking?
    If you look at Betelgeuse, which is located in Orion's belt, you can see a definite red/orange color that stars in a similar position on the horizon don't have. Light from all the stars at similar position should be coming through similar thickness of atmosphere, so all should have similar color by your reasoning. Not sound thinking and I'm not buying it.
    Merry Christmas to all!
    Oh yeah, forgot to ask - if light is instaneous, how would you explain redshift/blueshift? There should be no doppler effect on light from moving objects is light made it across the universe at a blink of an eye.

Thinking of that 14 year old girl that was killed in a dressing room in LA -
    Guns don't kill people - bullets do
    Last edited by jrporter; 12-24-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

As to the color of stars I have to ask why some stars twinkle in different colors if they're all white? Is this another effect of our atmosphere?
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure the atmosphere makes them twinkle, and it also can change the color like William says, but unless they are all at the same temperature, they will have color differences if seen without atmosphere.

And to William, do you have anything to support "If you are in space all stars are white". Several folks have posted links discussing star color, the reasoning behind it and methods used to determine it. No offense, but you have offered nothing but opinion, unless you have recently been in space??
    Last edited by jrporter; 12-24-2021 at 04:14 PM.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC I read about twinkling stars and it said they are quasars, I think not sure, and they pulsate or something like that. Not trying to really get in the discussion just trying to satisfy curiosity. Just googled it and, yes, the atmosphere causes it.
    Last edited by mla2ofus; 12-24-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    Pretty sure the atmosphere makes them twinkle, and it also can change the color like William says, but unless they are all at the same temperature, they will have color differences if seen without atmosphere.

And to William, do you have anything to support "If you are in space all stars are white". Several folks have posted links discussing star color, the reasoning behind it and methods used to determine it. No offense, but you have offered nothing but opinion, unless you have recently been in space??
    It was what the astronauts said when they returned home to people other than the media. I don’t know why the government hid it but they did. The sun is just a white dot. All the other stars are white dots too. Roy Grumman had already been filming the moon for a long time before the Apollo missions but they would not let the masses in on it.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm,, I found this,,

Why Are There No Purple or Green Stars?

"[FONT="]Stars are a multicolored bunch. There are red giants on the verge of explosions. Big blue ones that shine in the belt of the constellation Orion and other places. And there are ordinary yellow ones like our sun that might be stable and warm enough to support life. [/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
    The color of a star is linked to its surface temperature. The hotter the star, the shorter the wavelength of light it will emit. The hottest ones are blue or blue-white, which are shorter wavelengths of light. Cooler ones are red or red-brown, which are longer wavelengths. "

https://www.livescience.com/34469-pu...ar-colors.html

But, I doubt that those guys know everything??
    All the stars I see at night are white, some planets are red. But red light would not make it that far.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

All the stars I see at night are white, some planets are red. But red light would not make it that far.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    So...you've never seen the reddish one in Orion's belt? You should take a look sometime. Maybe use something to magnify the image if that helps.
    Also if you have any sources you can quote for what "all the astronauts said" please post them up and we can check them out. Also any references on how far red light can travel would be great.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to take a moment and share a bit of WeldingWeb history with those who are a bit too new here to remember:

Many years ago, we had a member that was so cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs that no one was sure if they were a troll or a genuine advanced-level crackpot.

This person believed/claimed that:

• TIG welding with thoriated tungstens produces radioactive gas (air-cooled more than water-cooled torches, though) and that they could detect said gas in their dental fillings ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/1...697#post153697 ).
    • They had family that worked in a factory that made perpetual motion machines. However, it all got buried so that the government would have an excuse for not rescuing future-Senator John McCain from captivity in Vietnam ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/1...449#post154449 ).
    • They found a "more accurate" value for pi (the constant used to find the circumference of a circle) by rolling a machined cylinder on a smooth stone. This value, they claimed, was more accurate because the generally accepted value was determined by mathematicians incorrectly wrapping tape measures around things ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/5...966#post130966 ).
    • an electrical arc, as in the arcs we all use to weld, is in fact an "ARC" (note the capitalization). ARC, they claimed, is actually an acronym for "Anode Rectified Cathode" and this was the basis for their own general theory of how electricity works that was complete hogwash and utter gobbledygook ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/1...ate-posts-here ).

This was just the tip of the sort of unhinged, insane, nonsense this person spouted (naturally this included the standard nutty conspiracy theories involving JFK, UFOs, and the like).

This person was banned in 2010 in order to stop his asinine ramblings.

This person, strangely enough, went by the name "William McCormick Jr" of East Meadow, New York. ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/members/2...m-McCormick-Jr )

Anyone want to inquire where the current "William McCormick" hails from?

Post Thanks / Like

lol i feel the op was legit and not crazy. thanks for the propaganda that literally does nothing to debunk anything related to the op. silly goose

straw man, literally, much? feel free to debunk his claims on a scientific level though. anyone and everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    anyone and everyone
    His confirmation bias will not permit that to happen. The mathematical language that prevails is outside of his grasp, and even then he does not accept it as a form of argument/analysis since he has already decided that only up to a certain point is certain mathematics/science allowed/correct, and anything after that is already flawed, so by default no one can argue with him because they are not following his understanding of things. So it is not up to us to prove him wrong, its up to him to prove physics, as mankind currently understands it, as incorrect. I very much doubt any wordy argumeng/"theory" of any kind like this will be published in any peer-reviewed scientific journal.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

13. Likes MinnesotaDave, SweetMK, shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2 snags short of a barbie

Post Thanks / Like

This is the Jewellery Box Constellation. I've actually seen it myself through an observatory telescope. Zoom in and see all the multi colored stars.

You can't argue with crazy, you have it treated. He's stopped taking his pills or something.https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...78123ddc28.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I think this thread has run it's course of "nebulous" (pun intended) theories and assumptions. Who really cares what color the stars are???????????????

17. Likes jrporter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Astro physicists drool over it.
    Why we're chewing on it in a welding forum might be considered redundant or even nuts.

19. Likes shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

looking at it all, it sounds to me William was banned unjustly, and I'm glad he's back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaiteki View Post
    I'd like to take a moment and share a bit of WeldingWeb history with those who are a bit too new here to remember:

Many years ago, we had a member that was so cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs that no one was sure if they were a troll or a genuine advanced-level crackpot.

This person believed/claimed that:

• TIG welding with thoriated tungstens produces radioactive gas (air-cooled more than water-cooled torches, though) and that they could detect said gas in their dental fillings ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/1...697#post153697 ).
    • They had family that worked in a factory that made perpetual motion machines. However, it all got buried so that the government would have an excuse for not rescuing future-Senator John McCain from captivity in Vietnam ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/1...449#post154449 ).
    • They found a "more accurate" value for pi (the constant used to find the circumference of a circle) by rolling a machined cylinder on a smooth stone. This value, they claimed, was more accurate because the generally accepted value was determined by mathematicians incorrectly wrapping tape measures around things ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/5...966#post130966 ).
    • an electrical arc, as in the arcs we all use to weld, is in fact an "ARC" (note the capitalization). ARC, they claimed, is actually an acronym for "Anode Rectified Cathode" and this was the basis for their own general theory of how electricity works that was complete hogwash and utter gobbledygook ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/1...ate-posts-here ).

This was just the tip of the sort of unhinged, insane, nonsense this person spouted (naturally this included the standard nutty conspiracy theories involving JFK, UFOs, and the like).

This person was banned in 2010 in order to stop his asinine ramblings.

This person, strangely enough, went by the name "William McCormick Jr" of East Meadow, New York. ( https://weldingweb.com/vbb/members/2...m-McCormick-Jr )

Anyone want to inquire where the current "William McCormick" hails from?
    I would never tell anyone I liked, to do this but anyone that works so hard to keep good people down deserves a taste of their own bad advice. Go take a piece of 1/16” thoriated tungsten and an oxygen and acetylene torch the only thing hot enough to melt it a little, other than the electricity in the TIG torch and heat it until it gets so white you cannot look at it easily. And breath that gas in for the world. Before you open your mouth and expose your fillings to the gases. If it is a room with lit fluorescent lighting you will feel it on your silver fillings if you have any. And tell me why the copper head of the cutting torch is pulled to the tungsten?

ARC, (Anode, Rectified, Cathode) is what has been used in Mercury rectifiers for years. It is what creates a lightning bolt on the molten surface of a storm cloud, from the rather low voltage leaving the earth into space. I never understood people trying to stop communication rather than discuss the reality that may highlight failures but at least we will know which way to go.

Here is some math on this subject. Minnesota Dave you have to check me out.

I may be wrong but this is a rather simple triangle math problem, once I got the scales and ratios all worked out.

I used 93,000,000 miles the distance from the earth to the sun. With a believed 490 second travel time for light from the sun to the earth.

I used 1.3 million miles an hour the rate the solar system is moving through space as the velocity. I broke that down to 361.1111 miles a second times 490 seconds that gives you 176,944.439 miles the light beam will distort from the sun to earth.
    I then found the hypotenuse of that triangle by A squared plus B squared equals C squared just to have numbers to double-check. The hypotenuse was 93,000,168.329603000…… I used opposite over hypotenuse with inverse sine or 2nd sine on the calculator and got 0.10901244440498-degrees. Then I did the same thing basically but used opposite over adjacent and inverse tangent and got 0.10901244440498-degrees I then broke up that journey into feet and inches so I could see different diversions of a beam of light at different increments and do some double-checking. My mind was hurting a little but it is all good. Light would bend 1.1 inches in fifty feet if our galaxy was moving along at 1.3 million miles an hour.
    I also divided the inches of deflection over 490 seconds by the number of feet in 93,000,000 million miles and came up with 0.02283154051612903225806451612903 inches per foot. Or 1.1415770258064516129032258064516 inches per 50 feet. Certainly, we do not see that much deflection in 50 feet. Or we are standing still. So I am sticking with light is moving along at infinite velocity. As I was taught by the best.

Even if we are moving along more to the tune of 450,000 miles an hour we would see a deflection of 0.395161278 inches in just 50 feet. And we do not see that.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 12-27-2021 at 12:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas, and are going to have a wonderful new year.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    This is the Jewellery Box Constellation. I've actually seen it myself through an observatory telescope. Zoom in and see all the multi colored stars.

You can't argue with crazy, you have it treated. He's stopped taking his pills or something.https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...78123ddc28.jpg
    It could be that star hits the atmosphere in a certain way, so that it looks red. Or it could be in a red gaseous solar system. But form space they reported all the stars looked white. It is funny but the camera they took with them could not see the stars even when pointed into blackness in a near vacuum. But when they took the same camera inside the Lunar module you could see the stars through the window of the lunar module. So it is interesting. The reason was that the camera had no atmosphere in it because it was so thin it would have exploded if they pressurized it with gas. That is why it did not see the stars. Because they are only visible through a gas.

Sincerely,

William McCormick.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be that star hits the atmosphere in a certain way, so that it looks red. Or it could be in a red gaseous solar system. But form space they reported all the stars looked white. It is funny but the camera they took with them could not see the stars even when pointed into blackness in a near vacuum. But when they took the same camera inside the Lunar module you could see the stars through the window of the lunar module. So it is interesting. The reason was that the camera had no atmosphere in it because it was so thin it would have exploded if they pressurized it with gas. That is why it did not see the stars. Because they are only visible through a gas.

Sincerely,

William McCormick.
    Wacky MacC

You shoulda quit whenever you said ,"spped of light"

Check this video at at 1:39 The blinds are INSTANEOUS (spell?) The blinds react faster than the spped of light no?

mary jane girls in my house

Last edited by Insaneride; 12-27-2021 at 02:47 AM. Reason: edit no?

Post Thanks / Like

You know you can't say light has an infinite speed without throwing out lots of other "stuff"
    In a universe that light has an infinite value for c there would be no matter as it would take an infinite amount of energy to allow matter. E=mc2. Or is that wrong also?
    Wave behavior of light stops making sense, as does the Doppler Effect.
    A photon from a single event then would exist at all points of the universe at one time, absorption and emission stops making sense as the photon is "at" all point simultaneously.
    Causality stops being a thing.
    I know posting to nutters who know more than Scientists is like talking to a Flat Earther or Anti Vaxxer , but I couldn’t resist .
    A good guess is better than a bad measurement

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  260297015_284334566928966_1547052279085739005_n.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  81.4 KB
    A good guess is better than a bad measurement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You know you can't say light has an infinite speed without throwing out lots of other "stuff"
    In a universe that light has an infinite value for c there would be no matter as it would take an infinite amount of energy to allow matter. E=mc2. Or is that wrong also?

If light speed were instantaneous, wouldn't the solar cells in my welding helmet charge the on-board battery in an instant??

AND, the solar cell in my patio/garden path light could operate my heat pump!!

I guess I gotta call the power company today,
    and ask about my payment for backfeeding the excess power from that garden path solar cell,,, when my heat pump is not operating,,

Post Thanks / Like

Wave behavior of light stops making sense, as does the Doppler Effect.
    A photon from a single event then would exist at all points of the universe at one time, absorption and emission stops making sense as the photon is "at" all point simultaneously.
    I know posting to nutters who know more than Scientists is like talking to a Flat Earther or Anti Vaxxer , but I couldn’t resist .
    e=mcˆ2 was never real to Einstein as the cause. That was the effect of a bomb, or other destructive means of matter and the missing atoms it caused. Matter has no stored energy, just the ability to slow particles from, infinite velocity to blow down a town velocity. When you are talking radio, you are talking capacitance of air. And yea wires or air much like a laser beam are a little different than an established beam of light. A laser emits light after particles of ambient radiation excite the gas molecules enough to fluoresce. Even a beam of sunlight does not do that it is totally invisible, in a dust free totally dark room viewed from the side. Radar the actual ramping charge of air across a distance comes near the velocity of C, because you are not measuring the particles creating the effect rather the time it takes to create the effect the particles cause. But light is instantaneous once established.

A photon up until World War Two meant a picture. A photon particle was a particle that created that light to bring you a picture. And that was done for Foreign scientists that complained that “light particle” and “light particle” were to very different and confusion terms one having to do with weight the other having to do with imparting light on a surface. At that time before the Manhattan Project neutron was a German term highlighting how the air can either absorb an abundance of particles of electricity or lend an abundance of particles of electricity to an object while being so dielectric. At that time before the Manhattan Project a photon was just a particle of electricity moving at infinite velocity across the universe until it was slowed by an event in matter to a velocity that caused it to impart light on a surface of matter. Oh yea, things were much different before the Manhattan Project that was designed to hide the actual Hiroshima bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Most countries of the World had the understanding to create the Atom Bomb, they just never did and did not want their citizens to understand it or the universe. That has always been the way.

Then they come up with neutron particle that is held together by attraction forces that no one can demonstrate. The neutron scientists when asked by Universal Scientists to demonstrate this new attraction force ended up making hugging gestures behind each others backs showing even they know that there are no forces of attraction only pushing forces. So when the neutron scientist had been exposed the government then paid universities mad money to take the line out of the scientific method that states that you must demonstrate your hypothesis to fellow scientists and peers before the experiment. Since you cannot demonstrate an attraction force, they took that line out of the scientific method. Now the scientific method is rag that you can prove or disprove the same thing with. You make a big explosion and say what ever you liked caused it according to the new “scientific method”. And if the guys on the government payroll back you up heck you can prove the tooth fairy is real.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 12-27-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  260297015_284334566928966_1547052279085739005_n.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  81.4 KB
    What is the purpose of claiming someone else is in Dunning Kruger Club? It is to covertly claim you are more knowledgeable than someone else, without offering any scientific based information, or even explaining current scientific beliefs. Certainly someone not in the Dunning Kruger club would not be afraid to go it alone against someone that is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist