+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Convert volume to air gallons

Post Thanks / Like

How Convert volume to air gallons

Could use a little help/confirmation. My deceased father left many garage items and one is an upright (on wheels) air cylinder. Pics tomorrow to follow. It measures approx 20 inches in diameter and 40 inches high. If my rough math is near correct that equates to about 12,500 cubic inches volume.

What I am trying to do is estimate the air capacity in gallons. Just looking at my sears 25 gallon compressor, I am leaning towards 55 gallons or so of air capacity. Does that sound reasonable?

Then, I wonder what air pressure to be safe. It seems similar to an old propane tank but somewhat stouter. I expect it should be pressure tested. However, it seems far better than my sears 25 gallon. I am currently filling it to approx 75 psi, and the volume helps.

The tank comes in handy, it has a handle welded to it and attached to the handle is a cup (piece of pipe) that fits nicely over a 2 inch ball when tilted forward and attached to lawn tractor or whatever. Makes for a handy portable air tank.

So, am I close at 50 to 55 gallons? I can sense the responses bout tank rupture, so we are prepared. Thanks folks..
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Convert volume to air gallons

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Could use a little help/confirmation. My deceased father left many garage items and one is an upright (on wheels) air cylinder. Pics tomorrow to follow. It measures approx 20 inches in diameter and 40 inches high. If my rough math is near correct that equates to about 12,500 cubic inches volume.

What I am trying to do is estimate the air capacity in gallons. Just looking at my sears 25 gallon compressor, I am leaning towards 55 gallons or so of air capacity. Does that sound reasonable?

Then, I wonder what air pressure to be safe. It seems similar to an old propane tank but somewhat stouter. I expect it should be pressure tested. However, it seems far better than my sears 25 gallon. I am currently filling it to approx 75 psi, and the volume helps.

The tank comes in handy, it has a handle welded to it and attached to the handle is a cup (piece of pipe) that fits nicely over a 2 inch ball when tilted forward and attached to lawn tractor or whatever. Makes for a handy portable air tank.

So, am I close at 50 to 55 gallons? I can sense the responses bout tank rupture, so we are prepared. Thanks folks..
    Well... since there are aprx. 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot..... and you have a cylinder with 12,566+ cubic inches in it... seems easy enough

12,566 / 1728 = 7.2719 (FT3)

7.2719 X 7.48 = 54.39 (GAL)

3. Likes Louie1961, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe tackit... or maybe it was someone else??? had a thread on hydrotesting your own tanks here somewhere that way you could at least 'proof' test your tank and make sure it has a relief valve on it for somewhere below where you test to

5. Likes Louie1961, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ronsii;8781571]Well... since there are aprx. 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot..... and you have a cylinder with 12,566+ cubic inches in it... seems easy enough

7.2719 X 7.48 = 54.39 (GAL)[/QUOT

7.48 for dry calculations. You are correct sir, should have figured that myself. Anyhow, my Kentucky windage was on target.
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

7. Likes ronsii, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, here's tackit's thread on the DIY hydrotest... https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...te-of-at-tank/

9. Likes geezer, Louie1961, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Much obliged sir
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Much obliged sir
    Yer welcome

13. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

geezer

. . . I can sense the responses bout tank rupture, so we are prepared . . .
    Your post - sound like you are trying to kill the entire neighborhood - what,
    is the end use, of your Manhattan Project - reverse engineering . . .

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

It is 231 cubic inches to 1 gallon
    It is what for a long time and hand calculator

But today I use a app
    Faster too and most convention
    See at
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.unit

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

geezer

Your post - sound like you are trying to kill the entire neighborhood - what,
    is the end use, of your Manhattan Project - reverse engineering . . .

hth

Opus

Well I sincerely hope not, my closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. Happy Thanksgiving
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

17. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For high-pressure cylinders, they put the tank into another tank filled with water, and then even if it blows, it blows up vertically and not horizontally.

The reason there is real concern about quickly filing a tank is that heat is generated when you condense any gas. The heat from condensation can cause, metal to glow red almost instantly. Over the years when starting up large rack systems with large compressors, I have seen a large metal vessel the condenser that was supposed to be water-cooled but was not getting water, heat to emit radiant heat in three seconds. The tank weighs several hundred pounds and it just starting radiating heat in a couple of seconds. If you have ever seen melted reeds in a compressor head you know the power of condensation.

That is the danger of draining propane tanks too quickly. You can have nearly zero pressure over the liquid propane. I have heard where an icy tank was dropped or warmed and it detonated. Never did much testing but the information seemed sound and came from some pretty rugged boys.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

19. Likes geezer, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    For high-pressure cylinders, they put the tank into another tank filled with water, and then even if it blows, it blows up vertically and not horizontally.

The reason there is real concern about quickly filing a tank is that heat is generated when you condense any gas. The heat from condensation can cause, metal to glow red almost instantly. Over the years when starting up large rack systems with large compressors, I have seen a large metal vessel the condenser that was supposed to be water-cooled but was not getting water, heat to emit radiant heat in three seconds. The tank weighs several hundred pounds and it just starting radiating heat in a couple of seconds. If you have ever seen melted reeds in a compressor head you know the power of condensation.

That is the danger of draining propane tanks too quickly. You can have nearly zero pressure over the liquid propane. I have heard where an icy tank was dropped or warmed and it detonated. Never did much testing but the information seemed sound and came from some pretty rugged boys.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Well I am certainly better informed. Appreciate and experienced heat generated from compressed gases, but penny really dropped with propane example. I dunno if the cylinder is an old propane bottle or not, it seems stouter and the gentleman who actually thought this up was a retired pipeline welder from years past. I have used it twice and try to keep pressure to max 75 or 85 psi. That helps to inflate tires around the place, like an old farmall H that was setting in the garage for approx 5 years and had a low tire.....got'er running to. Thanks again for posting.
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

I think William needs to brush up on the definitions of "condense" and "compress".
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a couple shots of the beast, crude but works. Name:  20201128_145856.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  133.8 KBName:  20201128_145741.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  123.9 KB
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I blew it, did not turn my phone sideways.
    Last edited by geezer; 11-28-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

25. Likes ronsii, R&I liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the looks of the welds on that I'd haul it to the scrap yard. That weld along the side scares me to look at it.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going with nope.

That one needs to be retired and made into a cooker of some sort
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    By the looks of the welds on that I'd haul it to the scrap yard. That weld along the side scares me to look at it.
    yup, no eye appeal at all. Like I say retired pipeline gent from years past with AC only machine and lots of candles on the cake. Maybe I should have waited for a rainy day with lots of haze prior to taking a pic, however, your comment valid.
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I'm going with nope.

That one needs to be retired and made into a cooker of some sort
    Noted: And good recommendation
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

I think William needs to brush up on the definitions of "condense" and "compress".
    They are pretty much the same, the reason we call a condenser a condenser is that in refrigeration, that is where the hot gas is condensed and turned into a liquid. You can say it is compressed into a liquid and that would also be a true statement. The condenser is where the hot gas compressed by the compressor loses its heat and so the action of condensation can occur. However, before you reach a temperature and pressure that will liquefy the gas it is being condensed and that causes heat.

With very cold liquid propane, believe it or not, it cannot absorb sudden heat, you would think it would be hungry for heat and it is, but just not sudden heat. So the surface of the liquid superheats much like the surface of a cathode in a cathode ray tube and boils off a layer of liquid propane in an instant, which increases pressure and causes more heat and more pressure.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, try this formula to calculate air galloons that you need:

• L x W x D. = Cubic Feet.
    • Cubic ft x 7.47 = Gallons.

Post Thanks / Like

When filling high pressure cylinders taking temperature's is part of the process. They can get quite hot and you have to compensate for it. Acetylene cylinders are cooled with water when filling and take several hours to fill. I wouldn't trust the tank in question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Well... since there are aprx. 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot..... and you have a cylinder with 12,566+ cubic inches in it... seems easy enough

7.2719 X 7.48 = 54.39 (GAL)

Oh yeah sure, for US gallons, and post 1959 feet, but how about imperial gallons, and that tank could predate 1959, so non standard inch measurements...
    Last edited by walker; 02-02-2021 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barclay View Post
    Hey, try this formula to calculate air galloons that you need:

• L x W x D. = Cubic Feet.
    • Cubic ft x 7.47 = Gallons.
    Never seen a pressure vessel measured in length x width x depth. Maybe area of dia. x length + volume of sphere ( 2 ends combined).
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

35. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never seen a pressure vessel measured in length x width x depth. Maybe area of dia. x length + volume of sphere ( 2 ends combined).
    I've seen small cylinder air pressure tanks with flat ends.... just for blowing dirt... sawdust off with

37. Likes Dave66 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist