+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need criticism on 6010....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need criticism on 6010....

When I used to go in and out of the BNSF container terminal (actually it was still the BN at that time), most of the welds on the rolling stock was 100% 60xx stuff. Those rail cars take a HUGE amount of abuse, and they didn't repair them with 7018 It was fast dirty work, and the string of cars would leave the yard within literally hours. Those guys were guru's at keeping that equipment online.

Post Thanks / Like

I almost fogot………….the welds on the cooker thingy are very nice!!

Post Thanks / Like

60XX is tensile strength which isn't too critical on mild steel. The last number (or last 2) is the most important in determining the applications for an electrode.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I just learned a lot about the rods I have. My father in law was a welder and did a lot of welding in the Nuclear Power plant in Bay City Texas, Also in the chemical plants all over the Houston area. You are all correct about my intentions of general repair. I don’t think I’ll ever be a certified welder, nor do it for a living, I’m more of a mechanic. I just cleaned Up and repaired his Miller Trailblazer 301g. And, no way I’ll let these 3 old welders become doorstops, I have 2 teenage boys that are wanting to use them too. Again, I just want to say thank you for this valuable resource and the time you all take to help guys like me who want to learn a new skill.
    I'm not a pro, I'm just having fun!
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150
    Miller Trailblazer DC 300 amp
    Victor 315 torch setup
    Lincoln portatorch setup with Harris torch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I almost fogot………….the welds on the cooker thingy are very nice!!
    Thanks, Sam!

Quote Originally Posted by Chano View Post
    Wow! I just learned a lot about the rods I have. My father in law was a welder and did a lot of welding in the Nuclear Power plant in Bay City Texas, Also in the chemical plants all over the Houston area. You are all correct about my intentions of general repair. I don’t think I’ll ever be a certified welder, nor do it for a living, I’m more of a mechanic. I just cleaned Up and repaired his Miller Trailblazer 301g. And, no way I’ll let these 3 old welders become doorstops, I have 2 teenage boys that are wanting to use them too. Again, I just want to say thank you for this valuable resource and the time you all take to help guys like me who want to learn a new skill.
    I welded in that nuke plant when they were building it, way back in 1980. I was just breaking out, was doing structural welding there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Thanks, Sam!

I welded in that nuke plant when they were building it, way back in 1980. I was just breaking out, was doing structural welding there.
    His name was Arthur Ramos jr. my wife said he worked there in the Mid 80’S. Maybe you two met. He would Have been 75 this year
    I'm not a pro, I'm just having fun!
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150
    Miller Trailblazer DC 300 amp
    Victor 315 torch setup
    Lincoln portatorch setup with Harris torch

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't ring a bell, but I was already out of there in 1980. There was a whole lot of people working there.

He must have been union, I think they had already taken over from Brown and Root, by then. That's who I was working for.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't ring a bell, but I was already out of there in 1980. There was a whole lot of people working there.

He must have been union, I think they had already taken over from Brown and Root, by then. That's who I was working for.
    Brown and Root. Man, there's a name from the past. My mother got a job as a secretary at Brown and Root up in Abilene, TX back in the early/middle 60s. They were building those huge underground Titan missile silos all around that area. Her pay was over $400 a month, which was VERY good back then. She was thrilled to death to get that job. Brown and Root also built those big offshore oil rigs at their yard by the Port Aransas ferry. It was something to see. At first, there'd be a flat, smooth, empty concrete lot. A few months later, there would be a complete, mammoth offshore rig, ready to go, just sitting there on the concrete like it had dropped from the sky. Those guys could build anything.

People spoke of "Brown and Root" with a sense of awe; when they mentioned it, their voices would drop a couple of octaves. Those were the days.
    Last edited by Ruark; 05-17-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    Brown and Root. Man, there's a name from the past. My mother got a job as a secretary at Brown and Root up in Abilene, TX back in the early/middle 60s. They were building those huge underground Titan missile silos all around that area. Her pay was over $400 a month, which was VERY good back then. She was thrilled to death to get that job. Brown and Root also built those big offshore oil rigs at their yard by the Port Aransas ferry. It was something to see. At first, there'd be a flat, smooth, empty concrete lot. A few months later, there would be a complete, mammoth offshore rig, ready to go, just sitting there on the concrete like it had dropped from the sky. Those guys could build anything.

People spoke of "Brown and Root" with a sense of awe; when they mentioned it, their voices would drop a couple of octaves. Those were the days.
    They merged with Kellogg and now they call it KBR.

Post Thanks / Like

They merged with Kellogg and now they call it KBR.
    I remember Brown and Root. Largest nonunion group that tried to take over union jobs. Fortunately the guys in my area were ridiculously bad. They outbid us on a job in a manufacturing plant that We worked in for years as UNION contractor.
    Abou 3/4 through the job, it was so screwed up they were thrown out. We were asked to finish it.
    The piping had to be at a specific pitch for aggregate to flow. We went there and first verified what they did. It was terrible off by multiple degree's which was unacceptable.
    We toured ALL areas to show owners. It was a disaster what they did.
    To come in and redo and finish exceded our initial bid. We got back in and it went well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes TimmyTIG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They got run out of that nuke plant in South Texas, happened after I already had drug up. Union took it over.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen KBR at several sites in the Canadian oil fields. They also have a non union division that they called KBR Wabbi.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

KBR had a 31+ acre mod yard and pipe/vessel fabrication shop 10 minutes from me that was there for decades. For a couple years it was called Falcon Fabrication but went into receivership a few years ago. They had a large steel/pipe rack outside with a big overhead crane than ran the length of it. The crane was painted red over the old yellow with the Brown and Root name on it. They were busy when the oilfield was booming. They were union up here and had all the different union signs strapped on the fence. A big trucking outfit moved in and paved most of the yard and put up another building.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22112243@N03/6252161686

Post Thanks / Like

See if you can get some 8010 and 8018 sometime.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 06-03-2020 at 01:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist