+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made A Stainless Steel Rail With My New JD2 Bender, After I Got Back From The Dentist

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Made A Stainless Steel Rail With My New JD2 Bender, After I Got Back From The Den

Very nice, I will definitely remember and use that, thanks.

2. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Made A Stainless Steel Rail With My New JD2 Bender, After I Got Back From The Den

A mini "Jim Crow" rail bender. Whatever works.
    https://www.indiamart.com/universal-...chanical-jacks
    ---Meltedmetal

4. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the one I made for the 3/4", 7/8", 1", and 1 1/4" solid bar. I took the right-angle grinder and broke the sharp corner so it would not dig into the stainless pipe and used it, haha. I will make another one just for 1.66" O.D. Pipe.

Name:  PreLoadGadget.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  213.0 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

The JD Square is one of the nicest around for bending tubes. Race car guys love them. Me, I have a Hossfeld with hydraulics, its rough and crude and will bend tube, pipe, square and retangluar tubes, angle iron and flat bar. dies get expensive...
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

7. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by welding1 View Post
    The JD Square is one of the nicest around for bending tubes. Racecar guys love them. Me, I have a Hossfeld with hydraulics, its rough and crude and will bend tube, pipe, square and rectangular tubes, angle iron, and flat bar. dies get expensive...
    I used a couple of different Hossfeld benders, I started on a Hockey stick, and then I used two different hydraulic Hossfeld's. They are good to have around. But if you get a Press brake/break, or even a press and a V-block and ram you start not using the Hossfeld as much. I used it to bend an arc into iron handrails and aluminum and brass handrails with plate aluminum-supported Teflon die's I made for it. I miss it.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my little bending cart made for the JD Squared bender. It came out nice. Very solid, and stable, with or without the step locks engaged.

Name:  JD Bender Rolling Cart.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  195.0 KB

Name:  JD Bender Cart.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  129.2 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick

10. Likes Lis2323, wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    I got my little bending cart made for the JD Squared bender. It came out nice. Very solid, and stable, with or without the step locks engaged.
    Your support/cart is the cat's meow. Now, if were only remote-controlled for easy movement around your shop.

12. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    I used a couple of different Hossfeld benders, I started on a Hockey stick, and then I used two different hydraulic Hossfeld's. They are good to have around. But if you get a Press brake/break, or even a press and a V-block and ram you start not using the Hossfeld as much. I used it to bend an arc into iron handrails and aluminum and brass handrails with plate aluminum-supported Teflon die's I made for it. I miss it.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Why do you prefer the JD to the Hossfeld?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit
    Miller spectrum 625 plasma
    Variety of shopmade tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jw3 View Post
    Why do you prefer the JD to the Hossfeld?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did a lot of stainless steel bends with a Hossfeld, and it is not terrible, but it does make you feel a little like Edward-scissor-hands. There was no angle indicator on the Hossfeld, although I suppose I could have made one. I had noticed that I was getting slightly different bends depending on how well I held the pressure on the pipe while repositioning the point where the cylinder was applying pressure with the Hossfeld.

It did take me about five bends before I got a feel for the JD Squared bender as well. The auto-locking pin on the JD Squared bender is pretty cool. The only thing I am going to do is paint one of the removable pins, either the pin that locks the pipe to the die or the pin that locks the moving arm to the die, a certain color so that I do not mix them up. So far I am liking the bender.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    Your support/cart is the cat's meow. Now, if it were only remote-controlled for easy movement around your shop.
    That bender cart moves like a good empty grocery cart once you get over the initial inertia needed to get it moving. Very easy to steer as well because there is only one pivoting wheel.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I did with my JD2 model 32 bender--mounted on a custom made frame I built to fit an ancient Kennedy roller cabinet. Installed the electro/hydraulic power pack inside the cabinet, with the motor end just barely poking through for cooling. Bending dies are stored in a rack at the bottom; accessories and related tools in the drawers. Wired it through the cabinet for convenience. Also shown is my first bending project done with it.

17. Likes wb4rt, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    This is what I did with my JD2 model 32 bender--mounted on a custom made frame I built to fit an ancient Kennedy roller cabinet. Installed the electro/hydraulic power pack inside the cabinet, with the motor end just barely poking through for cooling. Bending dies are stored in a rack at the bottom; accessories and related tools in the drawers. Wired it through the cabinet for convenience. Also shown is my first bending project done with it.

Nice, I like the bending job too.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

19. Likes ezduzit, Durak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Made a back- breaker tool. I only cut the hole, everything else was precut drop.
    Used on this 107 feet of pipe rail. Worked well. I rarely get pipe jobs, this was kinda fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Job, Looks Great !

Name:  pipe1.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  pipe2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  68.9 KB
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. And thanks for straightening the photos.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist