+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new Everlast 200DX is awesome

Post Thanks / Like

My new Everlast 200DX is awesome

Greetings Bredren-

I just finished fixing a steel ice chopper that I broke last winter on my stoop. As I was turning off the gas on the TIG, I realized that I haven't posted anything about my new Everlast 200DX.I have run through three 60 cu. ft. bottles of gas now. I wanted to run it at least a month before I posted any comments on it. The machine runs flawlessly and is a welcomed addition to my collection of metal working tools.

I was looking for a TIG machine in December, not having any Chinese machines, I went to my local dealer to check out the Miller 165 and 180. I noticed they both had a hardwired torch, which i didn't like, but simple controls to set, which was a plus for me. I priced them both and after looking online, and looking for my best deal delivered, i went back to the dealer to see if he could come down a bit closer to my cyberweld.com price. i wasn't expecting him to match it, but $400 more total price in his shop was too much for me to just absorb. So i went home to order my deal. while looking around i came across the Everlast site, and started to compare features and specs on their different models. I noticed that the specs for duty cycle, and maximum recommended capacity for their 200DX were even better than the Miller 180. And at $700 cheaper delivered price, i figured i would try it.

The 200DX has worked great right out of the box. The strange foot peddle knob takes a bit of getting used to, and there is no way to visually read how many amps you are set at when using the pedal. Once you get past this, it works fine. The HF arc starts easy and is adjustable within many parameters with the knobs on the unit. I like how the torch connector just twists out of the panel. I never used an AC machine before, but after a bit of adjusting the knobs, i now am making nice beads on aluminum. My steel repair on my ice chopper went great, and the welds look better than the original ones some guy did when originally making the thing in china. I welded up some hanger brackets to hang the torch cable and ground cable on my wall. i have the machine in my basement shop against the wall, and i wont be moving it much. I even wanted to see if their internal gas system leaked, so i turned off my tank for two days and left the machine pressurized without releasing the argon. The gauge never budged, showing me that there were no leaks between the regulator and the solenoid.
    The manual i got from their website was clearly written by a native English speaker, which is a big plus. It is clear, and very helpful when figuring out what all the adjustments do.

The guy Jody on weldingtipsandtricks.com uses these Everlast machines a lot, and his videos are a big help when looking for tips.

I am not a professional weldor, i just use my machines to work on my jeep, truck, bike, and other projects and repair jobs around the house and yard. This machine works fine for me, and for the great price, does all I need it to do. It even has stick capability, and comes with a cheapo electrode holder. i haven't tried this feature out yet, as stick welding throws way too many sparks for using in my basement shop. Now I can use my Millermatic 211 outside for the truck projects, and the Everlast inside in the winter to work on some projects to get ready for the spring.

Before the nonsense starts, i am not a shill or paid everlast fanboy. I have been on this site for two and a half years, and have learned a lot here. i just wanted to share my experience with a particular product.

If anyone has a difference of opinion/experience, as usual with a controversial topic, i will put my usual disclaimer: Results not typical, Do not attempt. For entertainment purposes only. For outdoor use only. Harmful if swallowed. In the event of fire, remain calm. Misuse may cause injury or death. Not dishwasher safe. Other restrictions may apply. If anal leakage is observed during use, cease using immediately. Proceed with caution. Provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied. Not for human consumption. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. Not street legal in some states. Read and use at your own risk. Made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. Some rectal discharge may occur. Not to be taken internally. Special receptacle end. Subject to local regulation. Supervise children as necessary until capable of using without supervision. This product is meant for educational purposes only. To touch these wires is instant death. Unplug before servicing. User assumes full liabilities. Use of this device does not enable you to fly. This product is not to be used in bathrooms. This device does NOT provide protection from sexually transmitted diseases.Your mileage may vary.
    And the warning from a Harbor Freight pack of screwdriver bits: The little part which suffocates when the sharp part which gets hurt is swallowed is contained generously.

Regards from New York
    Last edited by yesindeed; 01-27-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Klutch ST80i lunchbox stick welder
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (1953)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe (for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My new Everlast 200DX is awesome

LMFAO...for the disclaimer....im the last to poke a stick in your eye but..only 29 posts in 2 years?......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillbobb View Post
    LMFAO...for the disclaimer....im the last to poke a stick in your eye but..only 29 posts in 2 years?......
    Yes, 29 posts are not a lot in two years, but I believe you learn more by listening than talking. And since I am not a weldor, i am usually only thinking about welding when i have something that needs to be welded. Once that is done, i am on other forums that have a more general interest, trucks, guns, tools, old bikes, jeeps.
    Last edited by yesindeed; 01-27-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (1953)

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they could move this one to the proper place

Perhaps you could show me some welds you make with that machine.
    Then I'll show some I can do with a Lincoln.

David
    Last edited by David R; 01-27-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a everlast 256 I love it. Only complant is the torch. Other than that it works good. I kinda expected more from the plasma function but after using a 60 amp hypetherm version it works the same. So its all good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Perhaps they could move this one to the proper place
    What would that "proper place" be? Would it be a company sponsored forum, where the company has moderator power, and hence control over what shows up and what doesn't get to stay posted? That would not be my idea of the proper place for an opinion post regarding a product, be it positive or negative. When there is an alternative section of the forum available that is not under the control of a company, i believe that section would be a more appropriate section to put posts that talk about opinions about a product. I could see asking a question about a product on a company-moderated section, they might be in the best position to answer a technical question on the operation of their product. But i would not find opinion posts in such a section to be reliable, as they can be deleted, or edited by a sponsoring company if they were to possibly find the posts to be more critical or negative than they liked.

I am not implying that Everlast has done that or would do that, it is just the idea of a company having the power to do that in a forum section makes that section so much less appropriate to post opinions of their product on.

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Perhaps you could show me some welds you make with that machine.
    Then I'll show some I can do with a Lincoln.
    I dont see the point of that effort, unless it is to compare the welding skills of the respective people posting. We all know the skill is in the individual weldor, not the welding machine. I thought my statement that my Everlast machine fixed my item that was broken was sufficient to get the message across that my problem was solved. The machine served its purpose. Any comparison of welding skills possessed by me and anyone else would be another issue, entirely unrelated to the intent my original post. If it would make you feel better to have me stipulate that your welding skill is, in all probability, superior to mine, then i will surely do so. SInce I stated I am not a weldor, either by trade or training, my skill is probably not up the quality of those who would see fit to challenge me to a welding contest. My skill is, however, sufficient to accomplish whatever job around here needs to be done, with the tools I have on hand.
    Last edited by yesindeed; 01-28-2012 at 02:09 AM.
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (1953)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yesindeed View Post
    What would that "proper place" be? Would it be a company sponsored forum, where the company has moderator power, and hence control over what shows up and what doesn't get to stay posted? That would not be my idea of the proper place for an opinion post regarding a product, be it positive or negative. When there is an alternative section of the forum available that is not under the control of a company, i believe that section would be a more appropriate section to put posts that talk about opinions about a product. I could see asking a question about a product on a company-moderated section, they might be in the best position to answer a technical question on the operation of their product. But i would not find opinion posts in such a section to be reliable, as they can be deleted, or edited by a sponsoring company if they were to possibly find the posts to be more critical or negative than they liked.

I am not implying that Everlast has done that or would do that, it is just the idea of a company having the power to do that in a forum section makes that section so much less appropriate to post opinions of their product on.

I dont see the point of that effort, unless it is to compare the welding skills of the respective people posting. We all know the skill is in the individual weldor, not the welding machine. I thought my statement that my Everlast machine fixed my item that was broken was sufficient to get the message across that my problem was solved. The machine served its purpose. Any comparison of welding skills possessed by me and anyone else would be another issue, entirely unrelated to the intent my original post. If it would make you feel better to have me stipulate that your welding skill is, in all probability, superior to mine, then i will surely do so. SInce I stated I am not a weldor, either by trade or training, my skill is probably not up the quality of those who would see fit to challenge me to a welding contest. My skill is, however, sufficient to accomplish whatever job around here needs to be done, with the tools I have on hand.

Well said on all counts. I don't subscribe to the red or blue only crowd either, if the machine seems to be of quality then its worth a shake. The company I work for uses Miller, Lincoln, Esab, SIP and Thermal Arc (so far). They are all adequate for what we do. Remember Toyota when they were first introduced in North America? From plain Jane, no frills to one of the best quality built vehicles in 3 decades. Likewise a guy I knew who drove his Hyundai Pony for over 1 million clicks...junk to many peoples eyes, but if well cared for, last a long, long time. I think Everlast *might* be one such company and I'm considering buying one as well
    Thermal Arc Fabricator 210
    1970 Lincoln Redface
    Miller 150 STL
    Still need a Syncrowave and a plasma and a milling machine and a lathe and a bigger shop and a....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to get to use my 'awesome 200DX' today I don't generally get to use it, as my welding is usually on tractor implements and other heavier stuff (plus I suck at it..), but today I get to put a couple lock nuts on my tripod build, and make up a couple T bolts, so I'm looking fwd. to trying some tig again. Like David says, "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.." Really...
    Last edited by Jake98; 01-29-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    Libertarian

Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Everlast PowerPlasma 70
    Hobart Ironman
    Everlast PowerTig 200DX

Post Thanks / Like

I too have an Everlast 200DX that has performed flawlessly since day 1 . I've owned 2 different brand new Miller Syncrowave machines ( 180SD as well as a 200 ) over the years and I can honestly say that I like the Everlast FAR better . I've run the machine pretty hard at times for hours on end and it has never missed a beat . Ever . I did find out the hard way that posting positive comments about this machine's performance can lead to sarcastic and a generally hostile response from some of the "doubters" , but , the fact remains the same , like it or not , the machine runs great and is potentially , FAR better value . Will it perform this way forever ? Who knows ? Time will tell I guess . As for now , I'm a pretty happy 200DX owner that just smiles every time I use the machine That's more than I could ever say with either of the new Syncrowaves that I bought .
    Miller MM252 with Q300
    Hypertherm PM1000
    Everlast Powertig 200DX
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Post Thanks / Like

Mama always told me not to show mine in public. Plasma'd a couple holes in the outer pipe and tigged the nuts on. First one froze the plated bolt inside, duh. Tapped them both, still way stiff. It works anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jake98; 01-29-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    Libertarian

Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Everlast PowerPlasma 70
    Hobart Ironman
    Everlast PowerTig 200DX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist