+ Reply to Thread
Page 543 of 682 FirstFirst ... 43443493533541542543544545553593643 ... LastLast
Results 13,551 to 13,575 of 17039

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

I would be concerned about spatter in my ear from the other guy welding. Gotta be some etiquette/ safety rules... To address proximity

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking hitch plate, Willie. I have 8 holes evenly spaced on mine. Can move the pintle hook up or down in increments of 1-1/2" (or whatever the hole spacing is).

Made a little progress today.
    Name:  PXL_20211026_202418935.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  172.6 KB
    Glen

Red-D-Arc EX300 (Miller XMT304)
    Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

3. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted a pic of us both welding in there at the same time. Berry's bounce off my face all the time from welding in all sorts of positions. I think under the finger nail and in my boots hurts the most. I had 2 berry's stuck in my check next to my nose for about 5 months and it finally came out when a zit formed there and the metal popped out with it

5. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ArcTan View Post
    Nice looking hitch plate, Willie. I have 8 holes evenly spaced on mine. Can move the pintle hook up or down in increments of 1-1/2" (or whatever the hole spacing is).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    I wanted a pic of us both welding in there at the same time. Berry's bounce off my face all the time from welding in all sorts of positions. I think under the finger nail and in my boots hurts the most. I had 2 berry's stuck in my check next to my nose for about 5 months and it finally came out when a zit formed there and the metal popped out with it
    Looks like you doing some great work. Try to do better taking care of yourself.

8. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me and the homie running hardwire. I'm doing the overhead on the bottom of the bottom foot step. Doing the outside steps now. Boss wants them all within a 32nd in all directions on the outside. Attachment 1732680Attachment 1732688
    Notice how your friend is wearing a PAPR for his respiratory protection? Perhaps there is a very good reason for that and you should get at least a basic respirator... Not being able to breathe in 20-30 yrs isn't worth the money they cost or hassle factor. Stay safe, man.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a under the hood respirator. He said that cost him 2700$, need to prank him with something that smells strong

11. Likes Roert42, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wear a under the hood respirator. He said that cost him 2700$, need to prank him with something that smells strong
    You should spend your efforts instead saving up to buy one just the same. The 3M adflo is the best unit on the market, and if I was grinding and welding all day I wouldn't even think about it - I'd find a way to buy an Adflo and a 9100FX hood.

They're super expensive for a good reason - they work in every single welding industry... the number of people throwing them around and battering them against pipework and squeezing into crushers and boiler etc... every single day... There has to be literally hundreds of thousands of them in use around the world.

HOWEVER...

You can still smell farts, very strongly, when you're wearing one... Food for thought
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

13. Likes Lis2323, scsmith42, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArcTan View Post

Very nice! Just don't get all overconfident & push a big pile of rock. Rocks tumbling over the top are NOT good for the mechanicals behind the blade.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  PXL_20211027_142423853.MP.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  138.4 KB

Name:  PXL_20211027_142443945.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  162.8 KB

All done. No time for paint right now, gotta put it right to use.

Willie, what type of paint did you use on your hitch plate?

I don't use this as a dozer much, especially with rocks of any size.

17. Likes Lis2323, ezduzit, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin Senour Professional Commercial Coating epoxy primer, then PCC acrylic enamel. Extra hardener for cool weather. It's may too glossy, makes my weave welds look like scars.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

19. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Won't stay glossy very long if you drive roads in VT
    Glen

Red-D-Arc EX300 (Miller XMT304)
    Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

21. Likes snowbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very true.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20211027_101816.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  93.2 KBthe boss with no eye protection grinding into my face mask like a narc Name:  20211027_125920.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  78.2 KBName:  20211027_125925.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  84.9 KBthe boss welded one side and I welded the other. He likes to step out more then me. He can do better too

24. Likes ezduzit, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20211028_120021.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  69.8 KBName:  20211029_135316.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  56.8 KBsome of the subframe

26. Likes ezduzit, hddnis, farmersammm, Lis2323, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a lot of welding today, but still something.
    Just wanted to share that in my opinion, even an end cap with a large hole in it for the socket to fit through, looks way better, than a pipe with an open end.
    These are just some pieces of square tubing to be fitted on the wall, on a anchorage bolt and tightened fron inside of the tube with a nut. For storing some light weight pipes on them.
    Name:  IMG_20211031_113336.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  276.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20211031_114648.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  256.6 KB

28. Likes Lis2323, 12V71, Shootr, whtbaron, Munkul, Roert42, LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Four 1950's wire chairs that were originally resistance welded. Broken welds everywhere, some wires loose and bent or missing. The 220v spot welder would work but took way too much time and I couldn't reach the deep ones. Hope for the end customer these are worth some good money because it was 23 hours total time. They went back to the powder coater for re-blast and powder coat. Took only a few photos.
    Name:  whire-chair.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  116.9 KB
    Name:  wire-chairs.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  160.0 KB
    Ernie F.

30. Likes whtbaron, Roert42, Brazin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Four 1950's wire chairs that were originally resistance welded. Broken welds everywhere, some wires loose and bent or missing. The 220v spot welder would work but took way too much time and I couldn't reach the deep ones. Hope for the end customer these are worth some good money because it was 23 hours total time. They went back to the powder coater for re-blast and powder coat. Took only a few photos.
    Wow. Sandblasting wont be cheap? Cant imagine there is a real need if it is well cleant. 70 years old what is going to pop off? I guess it has finish on it, though.

How did you weld them id spot welder would not reach, is that where the time went? Did you rewire any?
    Last edited by tapwelder; 10-31-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Wow. Sandblasting wont be cheap? Cant imagine there is a real need if it is well cleant. 70 years old what is going to pop off? I guess it has finish on it, though.

How did you weld them id spot welder would not reach, is that where the time went? Did you rewire any?
    They were completely blasted before they brought them so what you see is some surface rust from the high humidity we had around here before I got to this work. Did some wire brushing where needed. Re-blasting should go quick and is necessary for a quality powder coat.
    The time was tedious as the only effective way to keep the wires lined up and in place was with soft tie wires on every other joint and in some places every single intersection. The wire was twisted tight on one diagonal and I did small tig tack welds on the open corner next to the wire. Then cut off the ties. A small amount of wire was missing but I was able to save and use most of the original wire. I would do a section at a time with the very loose separated wires and find extra broken joints even though the wires were in place. They are stronger now then when new. The welds are not too noticeable, I kept them tight and I put them on sides least visible as you view the chair.
    Ernie F.

33. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They were completely blasted before they brought them so what you see is some surface rust from the high humidity we had around here before I got to this work. Did some wire brushing where needed. Re-blasting should go quick and is necessary for a quality powder coat.
    The time was tedious as the only effective way to keep the wires lined up and in place was with soft tie wires on every other joint and in some places every single intersection. The wire was twisted tight on one diagonal and I did small tig tack welds on the open corner next to the wire. Then cut off the ties. A small amount of wire was missing but I was able to save and use most of the original wire. I would do a section at a time with the very loose separated wires and find extra broken joints even though the wires were in place. They are stronger now then when new. The welds are not too noticeable, I kept them tight and I put them on sides least visible as you view the chair.

Is there sentimental value or for resale? Is there a story?

I guess initially they were built or framed the pressed formed?

1950 was 70 yrs ago, thats even more astounding.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 10-31-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sit on those for a while, and yer butt would look like a waffle

36. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Old couple down the road both died. They had never had children. They lived gently on their furniture. What they bought in 1950 when they married, never wore out.
    After they died, a niece inherited. She auctioned all their possessions. The house sat utterly empty until a wealthy couple from CT bought it as a vacation home. In time I got the call, they wanted modern electrical system in their Victorian house.

Walking in, it was as though Blanche & Merle were still there! Completely furnished in 1950 "modern". It was as though a movie set builder had worked from photographs.

No, I can't comprehend the value of some of this old stuff, I just hope everybody is OK with the cost of fixing something that wasn't well made in the first place.

I had a different couple in their eighties had a dining room chair set. 8 of them. They were two pad upholstered chairs with a stainless steel frame. Frame was made from straight pieces of 1/2 x 2" stainless steel. A chair was VERY heavy! They wanted to replace their stainless frames with aluminum, they could more easily move around.

I explained that aluminum isn't going to maintain shine as stainless does, options include lacquer finish, or anodizing.
    Also, aluminum isn't as strong as stainless. I talked them into beefing up the thickness of the bar stock to 5/8"
    They opted to powder coat the aluminum.

Though we agreed about the price before building, the husband was pi$sy about price when he picked them up. In truth I had far more in them than I expected. Complicated build with WAY too many non 90 degree joints! I built a jig using an old frame as a pattern. The jig alone had hundreds of welds!

All said & done, an interesting project.

38. Likes Roert42, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Old couple down the road both died. They had never had children. They lived gently on their furniture. What they bought in 1950 when they married, never wore out.
    After they died, a niece inherited. She auctioned all their possessions. The house sat utterly empty until a wealthy couple from CT bought it as a vacation home. In time I got the call, they wanted modern electrical system in their Victorian house.

Walking in, it was as though Blanche & Merle were still there! Completely furnished in 1950 "modern". It was as though a movie set builder had worked from photographs.

No, I can't comprehend the value of some of this old stuff, I just hope everybody is OK with the cost of fixing something that wasn't well made in the first place.

I had a different couple in their eighties had a dining room chair set. 8 of them. They were two pad upholstered chairs with a stainless steel frame. Frame was made from straight pieces of 1/2 x 2" stainless steel. A chair was VERY heavy! They wanted to replace their stainless frames with aluminum, they could more easily move around.

I explained that aluminum isn't going to maintain shine as stainless does, options include lacquer finish, or anodizing.
    Also, aluminum isn't as strong as stainless. I talked them into beefing up the thickness of the bar stock to 5/8"
    They opted to powder coat the aluminum.

Though we agreed about the price before building, the husband was pi$sy about price when he picked them up. In truth I had far more in them than I expected. Complicated build with WAY too many non 90 degree joints! I built a jig using an old frame as a pattern. The jig alone had hundreds of welds!

All said & done, an interesting project.
    For an unappreciative customer. He did not criticize the product, only the price. I've dealt with old people before.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a cheap 4’x8’welding table a while back mainly for its 3/4” top.

Two corners were bent so today I scored 3/16”wide x1/8” grooves with the angle grinder and laid some beads to straighten it up.

If I wasn’t successful the plan was for it to become a 4x6 table.

5/32 7018’s fresh out of the oven running a little under 170 amps.

Straight …

Will hit it with the grinder tomorrow and then relocate the legs. Each one is oriented a different distance from the corner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Cool... are you going to add any bracing or extra support when you move the legs? Those pics seem super clear even though you always post good ones. New camera? You keep selling off the other welders... I take it you're liking the Fronius?
    Last edited by whtbaron; 11-03-2021 at 12:38 AM.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist