+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding certification question

Post Thanks / Like

Welding certification question

Hello!

I have a few questions regarding certification. My situation doesn't allow me to take classes right now but I've been practicing the 1g, 2g, and 3g open root positions for about six months. Are there certification centers that will allow an appointment to walk in and take a test? Or do they require course training prior to the test? If I pass, what kind of documentation do they give you to take to job sites?
    Also, what kind of jobs could I expect to get with that particular (3g) cert?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding certification question

The instructor at the community college where I took a welding course used to give cert tests to people who weren't in the class. But I believe it wasn't cheap (like over $100 and that was 10 years ago or so), and if you flunked the test, you had to pay the testing fee again to try again. And if I recall right, this was just for some guy who wanted to weld on dumpsters (vertical up), so it wasn't like he was gonna make a pile of money with his cert.

3. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on where you are. It's common to have a prerequisite theory course completed before practical testing.

5. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you take an instructional class on it before going to take the test. There are a lot of little items that are overseen when practicing by yourself vs having a veteran certified welder tell you how to pass it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    I suggest you take an instructional class on it before going to take the test. There are a lot of little items that are overseen when practicing by yourself vs having a veteran certified welder tell you how to pass it.
    Agree with this 100%. I just won't have the time to take a class for another year or so and was thinking to just go for it and get the instruction on the spot, after failing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Certification typically is paid by the employer.
    The employer type will give practices test be for the real is given.
    At one time the employer gave the test, they stop the employer giving as everyone past the test.

I am surprised the schools are not trying to make money off the test.

A one man band has to paid for the test.

FYI read the book for weld and how they give the test.
    For my work it was 1/4" by 2 ½" then after welding the plate would be bent.
    A place I work for work for used 6 x¾" plate I had bevel all plate for practice test for 30 employees

Dave
    Last edited by smithdoor; 08-18-2021 at 02:48 AM.

10. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    FYI read the book for weld and how they give the test.

Dave
    Thanks! Is there a specific weld book you are referring to?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Brewer View Post
    Hello!

If I pass, what kind of documentation do they give you to take to job sites?

Thanks!
    You would be given a certification card or certificate specifying the particulars of the test that you passed.

Do you want a 3G cert because that's what you feel most confident at this time to pass?

Have you done a search of local businesses (or called them) that would hire someone with this cert?

Click HERE to go to the AWS website, you'll find at the bottom of the page a link that will provide a list of AWS's Accredited Test Facilities (ATF)

Good luck!
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

13. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was licensed shop so I give a simple cert. I just had the welder wild a ¼" X 2½" plate then bent over the weld if no cracks they pass.
    After North Ridge Earthquake they changed all rules.

Dave

Hello!

I have a few questions regarding certification. My situation doesn't allow me to take classes right now but I've been practicing the 1g, 2g, and 3g open root positions for about six months. Are there certification centers that will allow an appointment to walk in and take a test? Or do they require course training prior to the test? If I pass, what kind of documentation do they give you to take to job sites?

Thanks!

15. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Do you want a 3G cert because that's what you feel most confident at this time to pass?

Have you done a search of local businesses (or called them) that would hire someone with this cert?

Good luck!
    Thanks for the link!

I figured 3g because is covers 1g & 2g and I haven't yet gotten around to practicing above that. Also, I figured by having at least that cert would be a good start with potential employers taking me seriously.

I've been looking at a lot of job postings but no one specifically asks for that cert. Most jobs I've seen just ask for 3years experience or such.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends a lot on your location. In Alberta you have to be a journeyman to get any certifications. In Alberta you are supposed to be an indentured apprentice or journeyman to work as welder. I say supposed to be because I don't think it's enforced too heavily, you can do the job or you can't. Once you're a journeyman you can go for your B pressure ticket (pipe work). You have to pay for the test unless you work for an employer who will pay it. Not all will. If you fail a test, you have to pay the same price to retest every time. Additionally you have to retest every 2 years for every process and every type of metal you are welding. It can get a little expensive if your employer isn't paying for it ($100+ for each test). Employers with an engineer can do in house testing after the initial test but it is only good in that particular shop. You go to a different employer and you will have either have to go through the boilers branch to retest (and pay) or the new employer will have you do an in house tes(s).

If you're looking for a job as a welder (non pipe), a lot shops will just have you do a job test. I always preferred a job test over a piece of paper and saw my fair share of supposed master weldors who didn't live up to what they put on their resume. You can't fake it in welding.

18. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Depends a lot on your location. In Alberta you have to be a journeyman to get any certifications. In Alberta you are supposed to be an indentured apprentice or journeyman to work as welder. I say supposed to be because I don't think it's enforced too heavily, you can do the job or you can't. Once you're a journeyman you can go for your B pressure ticket (pipe work). You have to pay for the test unless you work for an employer who will pay it. Not all will. If you fail a test, you have to pay the same price to retest every time. Additionally you have to retest every 2 years for every process and every type of metal you are welding. It can get a little expensive if your employer isn't paying for it ($100+ for each test). Employers with an engineer can do in house testing after the initial test but it is only good in that particular shop. You go to a different employer and you will have either have to go through the boilers branch to retest (and pay) or the new employer will have you do an in house tes(s).

If you're looking for a job as a welder (non pipe), a lot shops will just have you do a job test. I always preferred a job test over a piece of paper and saw my fair share of supposed master weldors who didn't live up to what they put on their resume. You can't fake it in welding.
    Good information. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I figured by having at least that cert would be a good start with potential employers taking me seriously.
    i wouldnt get too wound up, about the cert right now. presently, most anyone that wants to work, can find work easily. if u can weld, u should have no problem getting a weld job.

21. Likes tapwelder, Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Search craigslist. Look at qualification folk are requesting. ...Might get an idea of where to start. Like 123weld said plenty of work for folk who want it.

23. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting a cert on your own will not get you any job. Any employer that wants a cert will have you test for it. I am a welding contractor and have been for 15 years. I do not currently have any certifications. I can count the amount of jobs I have not gotten in the last 15 years by not having a cert on one hand. I have a buddy that has a structural steel company. Any time I have needed to have a certified weld I hire one of his guys to go out and do it. Again, only a handful of times for that too.

25. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

don't bother making an appointment for ur test, just show up w/ a back pocket full of 5/32 7018, and tell them , that, i'm "Billy BOY Brewer" - the one and only

27. Likes Billy Brewer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    don't bother making an appointment for ur test, just show up w/ a back pocket full of 5/32 7018, and tell them , that, i'm "Billy BOY Brewer" - the one and only
    Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven!

Post Thanks / Like

Show up with some 1/4" 6010 and say, lets do some production root passes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven!
    you want to associate jokes w/ scripture, or play biblical prophet, dont involve me. i think most christains, know thats sick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    you want to associate jokes w/ scripture, or play biblical prophet, dont involve me. i think most christains, know thats sick.
    In no way did I intend to joke, mock or play prophet with scripture. My response was more of an "Amen Brother!" or "I'll drink to that!" If it offended you or anyone else on this thread then I apologize.

Post Thanks / Like

In no way did I intend to joke, mock or play prophet with scripture. My response was more of an "Amen Brother!" or "I'll drink to that!" If it offended you or anyone else on this thread then I apologize.
    You are in a world full of people just waiting to be offended. Personally I wouldn’t give them a second thought, there are just too many of them. They seem to be harmless enough outside of the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    You are in a world full of people just waiting to be offended. Personally I wouldn’t give them a second thought, there are just too many of them. They seem to be harmless enough outside of the internet.
    Amen to that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

34. Likes Meltedmetal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the explanation, things worded thousands yrs old, can get interpreted differently by diff people of today, and understandably so. . i dont claim to be an angel by any means, but i learned not to mix any type religion w/ jokes.
    Last edited by 123weld; 08-23-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    i wouldnt expect a atheist or a dummy to understand

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the trade. Two many variables to answer specific.

I was a boilermaker welder, and there were tons of different certs, all depending on the material (mild steel, SS, monel, inconel, etc) shape (tube, pipe, plate, beam etc). Then the process, (tig, stick, mig, orbital tig). Position, mostly 6G, but the others also.

The test might be given by the employer, but was certified by sending Pics (x-rays) of your test to Hartford insurance, which was the only one I knew that covereod pressure work.

When we were building the nuke plants (yeah, I'm old), it was common to take weeks of tests to get covered for several tasks Then later, for nuke repairs, it would also be several days doing mock-up tests, which would be in the position, full PCs with SAR or SCBA respirators, etc that you might be making the repairs in. You had a cert card that listed your certs that you used to draw rod, it was checked to make sure you held the cert for that rod/filler.

If you didn't do a process on your cert for six months, it expired. This was watched, they didn't want the expense of testing you again.
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart 140
    HTP 220 MTS
    Miller Legend AEAD 200LE Gas drive

38. Likes 12V71 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist