Thread: Chemetron Tig Welder Tig-259hf

Post Thanks / Like

Chemetron Tig Welder Tig-259hf

I need some help! I recently purchased on old Chemtron welder with the model number TIG-259HF and i am looking for any information that is out there on it. I understand that it may have been made in the 60's or 70's and Chemetron sold to Ludlum Allegheny. Does anyone know if spare parts are available and from where? Is there a way to test it w/o a foot pedal? Oh and did i mention I am missing a foot pedal? Can i use an other one that i modify to fit the wires? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemetron Tig Welder Tig-259hf

You can test it fine without a foot pedal. If you've got all the stuff for TIG then hook it up and strike and arc. If you don't have the TIG stuff, then a stinger and ground for stick welding will give it a test also.

As for testing the remote contactor and remote amperage control, you can test the contactor portion by putting the machine in "remote mode" and jumping the contactor pins on the connector, probably pins "A" and "B". This simply closes a switch that "turns on" power to the torch.

If you can find out the size of the variable resistor used for the foot pedal, you may find another brand that will work in place of the original Chemtron. These old transfomer machines used big ole square wire wound variable resistors where the foot pedal drive a contact along the surface of the windings. I've seen old Hobart pedals like this.

New inverters use little potentiometers which probably would not be compatible due to current capacity, not sure on this?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks.. will try this today..

Post Thanks / Like

Photo's of the front panel, foot pedal connector, and data plae would also be helpful. Might have been sold under a different brand at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an old Chemetron 300 AC/DC HF welder. My brother got it from work, but they had to do a lottery drawing for it because quite a few people wanted it. One of the guys was PO'd that he didn't win it, so he took the foot pedal. I tried finding a pedal, but no luck. I did talk to a guy in California, and he gave me some info, but not being an electrical person, I didn't have much luck! The foot pedal for these uses a potentiometer with a gear rack. He sold me a 1000 ohm resistor for my Miller RFC-23A pedal. The problem (I think) is the plugs for the contactor, and amperage control are different from the Miller to the Chemetron. I never did get the wiring right. I have the manual with #'s for the pedal parts, and the resistor for the Miller pedal if they would help you. PM me your address and you can have the stuff if it will help.---------john

Post Thanks / Like

If you still have the miller RFC23A I need one.

Post Thanks / Like

This one has been for sale for quite some time...

probably can beat him up on the price...

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/hvo/5869383009.html
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.