+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wire size

Post Thanks / Like

wire size

I pick up 2 rolls of wire today .o30/.035....Will I have to have 2 differant liners for my 251 mm..or will they work in the same one. and when will i have to change a liner for what size wire ...ex alu..going spool gun on that 1. Is it called a liner or cable?
    Robert D

Post Thanks / Like
    try it. the .035 liner

fla jim Guest
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe the MM251 comes with an "M25" gun, the same as my MM210. My gun came with a liner for .030"/.035". You have to get a bigger liner for .045" I run .030" in mine. If you change between .030" and .035" be sure to change to the appropiate contact tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks..I did not know about the tip
    Robert D

Scott S Guest
    Jim, you are correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll also have to flip the drive roll in the machine, as it is for .030 and .035. David
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Question Wire size

Been reading posts about wire sizes. Anybody out there got an opinion as to the best wire size to run in my MM210, .030 vs .035? Pro's and cons? Under what circumstances is one better than the other? I'm a newbie and have been running .035 with satisfactory results, I think! All things being equal, what will I notice if I swap to .030?
    Life's short...so...work hard at your hobbies!!!!!

Aaron Guest
    First things first: what are you welding?

For heavier materials (probably like 3/16" and up), use the .035" wire. For anything lighter than that, consider switching to smaller wire.

Truth is, I run .035" for everything CRS/SS, and 3/64" for alum. in my MM251. I am more than pleased. I have yet to try the thinner stuff on this machine, so I cannot say for certain how much difference there would be, if any.

But I tried everything on my HH175, and .035" was the trick.

fla jim Guest
    Most of the work I do with my MM210 is light, 1/4" down to sheet metal, both steel and aluminum. I use .030" in both the mig and spoolgun. Any heavier I still use .030". Really heavy, I use stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just started using the Hobart Brand mig welding wire as recommended by the dark side forum. After many years of using brand "b" wire, I was quite impressed with this wire. Mentality was wire is wire. Not so. Less splatter, nicer looking welds with the Hobart wire. If you are doing autobody sheet metal, get the .023 wire. Less heat, less distortion and warpage. HTH
    Millermatic 210
    Dynasty 200DX
    Fisher CZ-5
    Trek 5500

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist