Re: Sin Cosin and Tangent

This stuff makes my head hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone who is anyone knows its "Oscar Had A Hold On Arthur"
    ESAB Heliarc 252

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say that the wittiest Ive read here was by Astainedsoul in another thread. I woulda done better in math ifn I learned this way. Im thinking he made it up himself recently?

It goes like this;

Some Old Hippy Caught Another Hippy Tripping On Alice

I censored it a bit but anyone who cares can figure it out. Besides that, the penalty box was getting boring

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that the sum & difference of the integrals is equal to the integral of the sums & differences but the product & quotient of the integrals is the same as the integral of the products & quotients.

SOH CAH TOA has gotten me through so many classes, whatever your method for remembering it is, its damn useful.

Don't forget that math is communicative (one level builds on the next.) Screw off this year and be screwed next year. <===== been there, done that, paid the price.

~Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    I heard that a Sin is what tells how fast you can drive down the freeway.

A Cosin is what you get your mother to do when you need to buy a car.

A Tangent is what your mother has when you dont pay for the car.

Some = Old/Hippies Came = A/Hopping Thru = Our/Alley

Sin = Opposite/Hypotonuse CoSin = Adjacent/Hypotonuse Tangent = Opposite/Adjacent
    I have always used the following to remember this (made it through engineering school with this in the back of my head and never forgot once I heard this one):

some =old/hippy ; caught= another/hippy ; Tripping=on/acid

sin(x) = opp/hyp cos(x) = adj/hyp tan (x) = opp/adj

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex22 View Post
    Don't forget that the sum & difference of the integrals is equal to the integral of the sums & differences but the product & quotient of the integrals is the same as the integral of the products & quotients.

~Alex
    Watch your language on this forum!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that the sum & difference of the integrals is equal to the integral of the sums & differences but the product & quotient of the integrals is the same as the integral of the products & quotients
    you sure about that?
    i dont think you can split up products and quotients like that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rusty ripple View Post
    Don't forget that the sum & difference of the integrals is equal to the integral of the sums & differences but the product & quotient of the integrals is NOT the same as the integral of the products & quotients.
    you sure about that?
    i dont think you can split up products and quotients like that

That was an important typo, even when I re-read that post a few times I stuck "not" in there automatically and skipped over it. Thanks for catching that

Now for the visual of what I was trying to say.
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ntegration.png

If its any consulation tho those who don't get nor want to understand any of that, I usually make 5 to 10 points worth of simple high school level algebra mistakes on my calc tests.

~Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Sin Cosin and Tangent

Some Old Hippy - Sin of theta = Opposite / Hypotonuese

Caught Another Hippy - Cosin of theta= Adjacent / Hypotonuese

Tripping On Allice dee - Tangent of theta = Opposite/ Adjacent
    Last edited by Insaneride; 11-14-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Alice dee

Post Thanks / Like

For me, VH....vertical over hypotenuse
    BH....base over Hypotenuse.
    VB.....vertical over Base.
    Easy way to remember the "code"....VH, BH, VB....which is the sequence for Sine, Cosine, Tangent.
    I learned that sequence of letters almost 50 years ago, and it stuck in my mind.
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

This is nothing...try remembering the trig identities when you're trying to solve a calculus problem and can't seem to find the right relationship. I do like the "Cos b" joke above, LOL. I've never seen that one before...

TB

Post Thanks / Like
    That was an important typo, even when I re-read that post a few times I stuck "not" in there automatically and skipped over it. Thanks for catching that

Now for the visual of what I was trying to say.
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ntegration.png

If its any consulation tho those who don't get nor want to understand any of that, I usually make 5 to 10 points worth of simple high school level algebra mistakes on my calc tests.

~Alex
    Calc made me want to scratch my eyes out! Integration by parts and all of that non-sense made me question getting an engineering degree. Lol.

As many others have said soh cah toa got me through engineering school. Simple but very effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Integration by Parts... One of the few ways in life to solve a problem without actually *solving* the problem. Sort of like using a word to define itself. Brings back lots of memories--although I did better in Calc 2 (where that was covered) than I did in either of the other two semesters. It's just that it took hours and HOURS of doing practice problems to do that well.

I actually enjoyed Calculus very much (and still use it some to this day), but that's one part about it that I really didn't like that much. Series and Sequences was another, lol.

TB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
    Yeah, Integration by Parts... One of the few ways in life to solve a problem without actually *solving* the problem. Sort of like using a word to define itself. Brings back lots of memories--although I did better in Calc 2 (where that was covered) than I did in either of the other two semesters. It's just that it took hours and HOURS of doing practice problems to do that well.

I actually enjoyed Calculus very much (and still use it some to this day), but that's one part about it that I really didn't like that much. Series and Sequences was another, lol.

TB
    Funny you should say that, I'm actually procrastinating from working on my Calc II test right now, it covers: integration by parts, trig sub, partial fraction, diffusion and improper integrals. The teacher gave us 13 problems to do in a 1:15 class, it turned into a takehome.

~Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Boy...Calc 2 is *not* the class you want to procrastinate on! LOL...

I used to do an hour per night at the very least, sometimes two per night, doing homework and practice problems. In fact I remember the night of our final exam. Afterwards I was sitting in the instructor's office having finished the test, and he asked how many problems from the text I had done that semester. We basically counted, and it was over 1100 as I recall. We then counted the number of problems he had assigned that semester. It was like 350.

The moral of the story is that, at least in Calc 2, if you want to do really well...you have to put pencil to paper. In 400+ credit-hours of college education, that has to be one of the top three "work your butt off" courses I've taken. But it paid-off though, as I think I got like over 99% in the course (he gave an extra credit problem on each exam). I also did well in Calc 1 and Calc 3, but barely squeaked out A's in each course. In Calc 1, I really didn't get it yet so I had to struggle a bit to get an A...and in Calc 3 I was basically burnt-out from Calc 2 (LOL), and that was the season of BAD hurricanes in Florida. So we evacuated twice during that semester, and had like 3 other hurricanes hit the East Coast where we were living. So Calc 3 was not my highest priority, and I again just squeaked out an A right at the end. I also didn't care much for triple integration, to be honest.

Anyway, get after Calc 2. It'll eat your lunch for you if you don't...

TB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
    Boy...Calc 2 is *not* the class you want to procrastinate on! LOL...

I used to do an hour per night at the very least, sometimes two per night, doing homework and practice problems. In fact I remember the night of our final exam. Afterwards I was sitting in the instructor's office having finished the test, and he asked how many problems from the text I had done that semester. We basically counted, and it was over 1100 as I recall. We then counted the number of problems he had assigned that semester. It was like 350.

The moral of the story is that, at least in Calc 2, if you want to do really well...you have to put pencil to paper. In 400+ credit-hours of college education, that has to be one of the top three "work your butt off" courses I've taken. But it paid-off though, as I think I got like over 99% in the course (he gave an extra credit problem on each exam). I also did well in Calc 1 and Calc 3, but barely squeaked out A's in each course. In Calc 1, I really didn't get it yet so I had to struggle a bit to get an A...and in Calc 3 I was basically burnt-out from Calc 2 (LOL), and that was the season of BAD hurricanes in Florida. So we evacuated twice during that semester, and had like 3 other hurricanes hit the East Coast where we were living. So Calc 3 was not my highest priority, and I again just squeaked out an A right at the end. I also didn't care much for triple integration, to be honest.

Anyway, get after Calc 2. It'll eat your lunch for you if you don't...

TB
    Tell me about it. For the first test I just sat down and did every odd numbered question in the book for the whole chapter and BAM, integration isn't so bad any more.

The class syllabubs said right on it, there is no magic to calculus, only practice will make you proficient.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! Great job...you've learned the secret!

TB

Post Thanks / Like

It is 2am been drinkin. Went to Cheyenne Frontier days.Do u know how f,,, this thread is for a welder that dont g.a.f.ask the fitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyomingwelder View Post
    It is 2am been drinkin. Went to Cheyenne Frontier days.Do u know how f,,, this thread is for a welder that dont g.a.f.ask the fitter
    So genius, you got on the Internet after getting drunk and drug up a 2012 thread to insult - nice job
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same high school math teacher two years in a row. We were mutual and vocal in our hatred for each other. Maybe my greatest educational regret. I'm still missing something!
    Yes I passed with a C.
    Last edited by Willie B; 07-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weldbead View Post
    they built the pyramids with a plumb bob...
    That's a lie.

Everybody knows it was a plumb Ahmul, there were no "bob's" around!
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    So genius, you got on the Internet after getting drunk and drug up a 2012 thread to insult - nice job
    Lol
    Not only that, but if he's on the net at 2am while at CFD, either he's one fugly weldor or CFD ain't the same as I remember!
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist