Thread: Newbie, Lincoln tig.

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie, Lincoln tig.

Hi all, newbie alert! Hope someone can gove me some advice please.

I can Arc & Mig weld good, but I have always be interested in Tig, I would like to be able to do quality pipework etc, BUT I have never tig'ed in my life.

I have gone and bought a used tig. It is a Lincoln TT 140.

Been on lincoln web site and carn't find any info on this one. I have taken a couple of pics myself and numbered up the bits I don't understand.

Number 1: It has Arc & Tig settings but also another, what is it and how would I use this setting?

Number 2: It hsa a setting for the amps but also can be set for what looks to be a foot pedal / HF, but I thought running in tig mode you would still need to set the amps, any ideas?

Number 3: is this the plug for a foot pedlal / HF, if so is it a standard fitment, it needs 4 pin conector, if so how much are these to buy?

Hear is a pic of the tig gun, it has writern on it " 150amp CK150 UNFLEX " anyone know what type it is and what parts are missing from the pic. It also has a triger/button, I take it this is for the gas to come through?

As I have said I have never tig'ed before and am a little lost with what I have or what type I got, I would be very greatfull for someone to have a look at the pics and give me a general explanation on the settings and the aplications.

I have just been on the phone to Lincoln and hopefully they are sending me a manuel, he told me its a touch tig and can work without a pedal. Sure someone hear will enlighten me.

Thankyou for your patiants.
    Busastars

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie, Lincoln tig.

Does it say "Lincoln" on the case? I looked at the Lincoln Website and didn't find a manual for it....that's unusual. Hopefully they will send you one.
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set

Post Thanks / Like

I will do what I can.

Switch #1 LOOKS like its for pulsed DC tig. NOT sure.

#2 is for remote or Local amp select. If you had a foot pedal, you would turn the switch to the right. Setting the amp control on the machine SHOULD be the max your foot pedal will go up to.

#3 is the plug for the pedal. This is unusual to me because Lincoln has a 6 pin or 14 pin plug on almost all its machines. Can you find a code # on the back? It would be on the name plate. If you have that, you can go to lincoln electric.com and download a free owners manual.

Is it RED?

Torch is missing a gas cone. They can be purchased at any welding supply house. Get a #6 or 8 to start with. I now have Many.

The switch on the torch is an arc start switch. It turns on the power and gas. You touch the electrode to the work with the arc start swith activated (hold it). ROLL the torch onto the ceramic cup so it pulls the tungston away from the work and you should get an arc. Then you are tigging!

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff, one quick question, I have bought this second hand and tested it as an arc welder, but to save me wasting money on gas can I just buy the bits for the tig gun and see if it arcs and welds with no gas for a few seconds, I would gess it would be ok and if like mig will come out like poo but its just a test?

This Lincoln is very heavy not like new tig inverters, if this all works then is it a good quality welder? How will I know if it is an ac/dc? Not sure if I have forgot any other questions.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Got the bits for the tig torch, pluged it all in and canot get it to arc, tryed it on pulse mode still the same, works great as an arc welder but nothing as a tig, the only thing I have not got is gas but all I am trying to to is see if it works before I commit to buying gas but this should not stop it working. Any Ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

You should research a bit more before messing with it. Find out if it is indeed a Lincoln. Once you find that out, you can move forward. I know your anxious to get started but sometimes being anxious can get us hurt. Been there, done that. It's possible they sold it because the TIG portion stopped working. That is the one down side to buying used - the unknown variables.

Take a side picture of it and a picture of the back where the power wire plugs in, any pictures of the serial tag, etc.
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

7. Likes pepi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its defo a Lincoln Norweld TT140, I recieved a manuel from them yesterday. According to the manuel its a touch tig, I have tryed scratch, the only thing I can think of is maybe a faulty switch on the torch. As per the instructions made contact pressed the switch and nothing, even at the same time scraching it and moving it round, gone back and for using the stick/arc side and that welds realy nice/smooth Hope the welder is ok, dont want to look like a fool cause Ive bought a dud.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The second picture is way too small to even see.

It may be possible it's a foreign made unit for Europe, etc. ?
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

Post Thanks / Like

Its kinda hard to get an arc with tig if you have no gas. Touch start means push the button with the gas on. SET the tungston on the plate. ROLL the cup so the tungston pulls away from the plate and Voila! you are tigging!

David
    Real world weldin.

Post Thanks / Like

Tested the switch, it works, you can hear a click on the switch but have to wait a short while to press it again to hear another click, but still no arc from the tig torch.

I have had a look inside and nothing looks burnt out on the PCB etc.

Could it be that it won't arc because there is some kind of safty feature because I have not got a gas bottle attached?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by busastars

Could it be that it won't arc because there is some kind of safty feature because I have not got a gas bottle attached?
    YES
    Real world weldin.

Post Thanks / Like

Just tryed something else, put the earth clamp to the +positive and all works. Now I have confirmed this I can get some Argon on order.

Thanks all for your patiants.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie, Lincoln tig.lincoln manual

Quote Originally Posted by busastars View Post
    Its defo a Lincoln Norweld TT140, I recieved a manuel from them yesterday. According to the manuel its a touch tig, I have tryed scratch, the only thing I can think of is maybe a faulty switch on the torch. As per the instructions made contact pressed the switch and nothing, even at the same time scraching it and moving it round, gone back and for using the stick/arc side and that welds realy nice/smooth Hope the welder is ok, dont want to look like a fool cause Ive bought a dud.
    where did you get your manual from please ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Its kinda hard to get an arc with tig if you have no gas. Touch start means push the button with the gas on. SET the tungston on the plate. ROLL the cup so the tungston pulls away from the plate and Voila! you are tigging!

David
    OP did you try this ....??
    Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pepi View Post
    OP did you try this ....??
    The OP hasn't been here in 13 years.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro