+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A Bench Vise Thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Bench Vise Thread...

" I bought an ancient American made vise for $15.00 on e-bay, must be at least 70 years old, but it is cast steel and unbreakable."

Unfortunatly on this side of the pond you need to look at small vises or be VERY lucky to get a a large USA made vice for that. 10 times that is still a good deal here, I literally have looked for months for my vices, I think LA and folks on the east coast have better availability. When I was looking at welding trucks and beds I looked at three rigs and the owners were quite clear, NO vices ( and cable reels on two ).

Using ebay there is a better selection but shipping on a heavy vice adds up quick $65-80, and they still are not cheap. Unfortunately vices have become collectable here.

The worst of the worst for prices on used vices are pattern makers vices, Emmert being the most desirable. Here is one on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emmert-1-Uni...item19c346ff68

Depending on size these in good condition run $750 to 1200 and if you find one for under $500 you scored. Why highly desirable, and I don't think anyone makes anything close to it today in function.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few Emmert clones our there from Taiwan. Here's a link to one.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/p...rkingvise.aspx
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender & dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9" 'C'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    21"Royersford Excelsior
    Two shops, still too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

" There are a few Emmert clones our there from Taiwan "

I didn't know it was being copied. Pretty pricey for an import, any experience with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredschrom View Post
    " There are a few Emmert clones our there from Taiwan "

I didn't know it was being copied. Pretty pricey for an import, any experience with it?
    No experience at all with the clones. That was just the first link I could pick out on the American side of dealers. I've seen it cheaper by at least $100, but I'd have to do some looking around to see where I found that price. While a nice vise, I have no real need for either an Emmert or one of the clones. I suspect most of the woodworkers fit in a similar mold or they would be more common and competitive in their pricing.
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender & dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9" 'C'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    21"Royersford Excelsior
    Two shops, still too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my BIG Wilton next to a Samson that most people would consider big.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

" While a nice vise, I have no real need for either an Emmert or one of the clones "

I have and do wood and steel projects, don't do too many straight up wood projects anymore, mostly for family only.

The Emmert ( or really any decent wood vice ) really need a dedicated work bench, a flat top bench really doesn't get it, it needs dogs, two vices really, one on the side and one on the end. Side vice is usually a massive wood guy, and either a pattern makers or one like my record above on the end or vise ( pun ) versa.

Those benches are pretty useful for lay out and clamp up. I have pondered several times incorporating some of those features into a metal version, but right now I have zero space for it, as I want to get at it from all sides.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my $10 Wilton as it sits now.Sorry for the crappy phone pic. I am getting ready to sandblast/paint, will post up pictures when I get it painted and mounted on my trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I got it painted. I have no idea how old it is, but it looks like it was never used. The blue vise is my shop vise. It is a Morgan with 5" jawsand will open at least 7", I have never measured it. I have no history on it, my brother brought it up here with him from Florida when he got out of the navy. It says Milwaukee made in USA on the side. It has been a tough one!

Post Thanks / Like

subscribing,,,will post mine tommorrow
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    ESAB powercut 650
    Esab 220i tig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    INE SKYLINE 1500
    Klutch 140i
    Firepower fp-200
    MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have an idea where to look for the stock to make a replacement vise screw, and how to figure out what type of threading I might need. I'm not sure where the vise came from, might have been my father-in-law's or it might just have been left by the PO of my house, been too many years. I have the body, jaw inserts and the nut, but the screw and handles are missing, thought I could fake up a screw and handle for it if I can source the threaded rod locally, have several industrial fastener shops in the city and surrounding area.

Should I take the nut in with me and see if they can match it to some threaded rod stock, I know it will be either an Acme or buttress thread?

Anyone have a picture of the fastening system to keep the screw from backing out of the sliding jaw? I'll try and shoot a couple of pictures later today and post them, maybe someone might recognize the beast.

George
    Princess Auto "PowerFist" Dual MIG-136, WF & cap mod
    Gas Powered Alternator Welder (being rebuilt)

Post Thanks / Like

Acme thread rod:

http://www.dependableacme.com/class.htm#screw

My local Fastners carries Acme:

1819 N 4TH ST
    COEUR D ALENE, ID 83814-3410

Can't help you on buttress thread rod source.

The easy way to distinguish between acme and buttress is is acme is flat on the thread edge, and buttress is angled so it almost looks cupped.

If your replacing the screw and you can't find buttress just convert it to acme, by changing the nut also.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is mine,I traded my buddy out of it a couple of month's ago.An old bull dog,he told me it dates back to around 1900,he bought it used back in the 50s when him and buddy were opening a service station,it took the both of us to set it up there,I'm betting its over a hundred pounds
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    ESAB powercut 650
    Esab 220i tig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    INE SKYLINE 1500
    Klutch 140i
    Firepower fp-200
    MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    Here is my BIG Wilton next to a Samson that most people would consider big.
    What model is THAT? I have a C2 that looks small compared to that one.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a C3 that I paid a whole $125 and the guy thought he was screwing me. List on it is $3000
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey tanglediver,
    Is the Wilton you posted here the original color? I just got the one in the second pic for $60 at a flea market last weekend. I have it all apart to media blast and was wondering what the origianl color was. It's black now, but I'm thinking it was repainted some time ago.
    Last edited by toomanytoyzz; 05-25-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All, Just got home from a yard sale and picked up a new (old) vise. They were going to scrap it if it didn't sell today and I got there just as they were cleaning up. Its a Prentiss marked #6. 6" jaws that open to 12" and weighs about 150 lbs. I think I might have got taken though, I paid $80. I'll post some pics a little later.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are left handed do you put the vise on the left of the bench or if you are right handed do you put the vise on the right side of the bench?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat220 View Post
    If you are left handed do you put the vise on the left of the bench or if you are right handed do you put the vise on the right side of the bench?
    I'm right handed and my vises are both on the right. Its just more comfortable for me. Just do what's comfortable.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    You wanted to be the welder.

...zap

Post Thanks / Like

" If you are left handed do you put the vise on the left of the bench or if you are right handed do you put the vise on the right side of the bench? "

I don't think it makes a diddly. I am right handed and the vise I use the most is on the left ( it fits ) I also like to use my right hand to hold stock and left to tighten it.
    The one on my truck is on the right, my Wilton ( not shown is a third of the way down the bench on the right, and my wood vises are on the end, and left and right.

It's about what works best for you, and your shop layout, a vise stuck in a corner just to be on the left or right is useless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cat220 View Post
    My vises are always on the right end of the table/bench, so the grinding dust goes more onto the floor. Less sweeping off the tabletop that way.

I also position my higher-dollar equipment to the left of the workbench to keep more dust off of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one I picked up for $68.00... Great deal!

All Cleaned up and Mounted.

A little Mohawk I picked up at a small flea market. On The cheap.

A small made in the U.S.A. one I got for $0.75 at an estate sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pics

#1 is the new / old Prentiss vise with a 25 foot tape for scale.
    #2 is the top of the vise showing the name and model number.
    #3 is the same tape on top of my Wilton 4 1/2 inch vise for comparison. (I stole that one a couple years ago for $25 but I truly feel bad for the circumstances that I got it under)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoyzz View Post
    Hey tanglediver,
    Is the Wilton you posted here the original color? I just got the one in the second pic for $60 at a flea market last weekend. I have it all apart to media blast and was wondering what the origianl color was. It's black now, but I'm thinking it was repainted some time ago.
    That is exactly how I got it. I have no idea if it is the original paint. The previous owner is a retired machinist who made lots of different jaws for it out of all kinds of material.

He also made his own sand cast vise way back when in college, which was still in use on his bench when I picked this one up. He had no intention of selling his "school project" though.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I usually don't dig up bones, but maybe some haven't yet seen the next best ol' vise thread of:
    "Can this vise be saved?"

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=580

Last edited by denrep; 05-31-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

what did you use to get the rust off and is that just solvent in the Zep can?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist