Thread: minimizing warpage?

Post Thanks / Like

minimizing warpage?

Ok I am not realy new to fabracation, but most of my stuff has not been realy precision. Now I am working on a couple of projects where holes need to line up after welding. The parts are 1" .065 round tube tacked in a jig, then MIG welded. I am losing my hole placement by like 1/4".
    Now I am heat shrinking them back into position, but that takes time. Is there an easy way to combat this little problem, or should I modify my jig to suit?

Thanks very much guys

Jonnie
    "If you live in Sacramento you have seen my work."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: minimizing warpage?

Don't weld it all up at once. Weld short beads, hit the opposing side, let cool. Repeat after previous area has cooled to touch. You can't rush perfection, this also applies to welding/fabrication. Just ask Paul, Zap, Lorenzo and the other great weldors on this site.
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

Post Thanks / Like

I to have been spending allot of time battling warpage. I weld slowly, move from side to side, and try to keep things pulling in the same direction but it never fails... warpage It seems if I try to tack in cross braces to try and keep stuff square that I get twist instead. I get something square and true and I'm scared to death to finish those last couple welds!! The gods of the flame just don't seem to smile on me.

Is there a rule of thumb or a process I can use to keep all this to a minimum? Come on guys help a rookie out. Give me some tools to work with, trial and error sucks!

Thnx PJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz
    Ok I am not realy new to fabracation, but most of my stuff has not been realy precision. Now I am working on a couple of projects where holes need to line up after welding. The parts are 1" .065 round tube tacked in a jig, then MIG welded. I am losing my hole placement by like 1/4".
    Now I am heat shrinking them back into position, but that takes time. Is there an easy way to combat this little problem, or should I modify my jig to suit?

Thanks very much guys

Jonnie

I have read this 10 times and still can't "see" what you mean..
    Be glad to help but.....
    Got any pics??

..zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are doing a bunch, then modify your jig so they end up where they should be.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can put bolts through the holes and torque them up first? I dont know what exactly you need here, without knowing what it looks like, what it is or what its for its hard to know what to do, even a quick scetch on paint would help out.
    Try less heat, and welding opposite corners and sides. smaller weld size or faster speed of travel, maybe a second jig so you can go from one part to the other to keep the heat down. maybe more clamps and tacks, and not taking it out of the jig finished welding and untill its cooled will help. Keep us posted on how it goes.
    Nothing Ever Got Done By Quitting, Never Give Up.