Thread: Hello

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

I am a new member here and just thought I'd say high. I am a 27 year old farm boy and operator, used to be a sheetmetal worker doing HVACR work. I learned to weld in high school and at our farm shop, we also had a pretty decent machine shop at our high school and a very knowledgeable teacher.

All of my welding experience is on steel or copper piping, with most of it being on Arc and Oxy-acetylene, with some mig. Most of the mig stuff was welding 1/4" angle or flat stock making frames for a/c units or on sheetmetal (14-26 gauge) and 26 gauge sucks! My arc welding experience is all AC, I did some DC and DC reverse in school but haven't touched it since, just AC for most of the repair or fab work I have done on the farm or truck. Oxy-acetylene is something I have had a talent for, most of it has been on brazing refrigeration lines but also fairly proficient at patchwork brazing and have been known to weld steel when I felt like it (usually grab the arc machine since rods are cheaper than gas).

Machine work experience was simple turning and milling operations with some internal and external threading both left and right hand threads. My high school shop teacher was a master machinist and taught us basically all the processes we could do on the old South Bend machines we had. One project we had to do was cut a gear to all te specs he listed for us, he walked us through the set up on the process we were not familiar with but the rest was up to us. There were 5 of us in that level of the class and we did alot of teamwork. I have forgotten alot of it but I often look at a piece and figure out what steps were needed to fabricate it as to still keep my mind somewhat sharp.

Basically I am here to re-learn somethings, I am going to be building a shop soon for my own projects and hobbies and a steel shop is something at the top of the list. Anybody can work with wood, but real men work with steel! I've got my arc welder (Lincoln 225) and most of the saws and grinders I need but in my future shop I want a lathe, vertical mill and I'm gonna build a forge.

Gotta run!
    Last edited by Birdhunter1; 07-30-2007 at 12:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello

Welcome to the fun shop!
    "Every choice you make will effect at least one other person"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, there's a lot of smart people here to learn from and I'm sure you have plenty to contribute yourself.
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning and Welcome!!

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

What I have to contribute is nothing on the scale of someone like Zapster. I have been checking this site and finding info for a while but finally decided to join. I learned when I first started reading this site if I want to know something Zapster can give the correct answer, truly you are a very skilled craftsmen as many others here are too, it's just that you stick out in my mind the most.

Like I said most of my work will be farm related but I know you guys can help with advice now and then. I would someday like to learn how to TIG weld, I have heard if you can weld with a torch then you can TIG weld but I know there is more to it than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the kind words..

I'm just a guy that knows how to weld..

Thats all..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.