Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Specifications for Lincoln sa200 Junior w/Wisconsin VF4

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Specifications for Lincoln sa200 Junior w/Wisconsin VF4

Quote Originally Posted by Goodolboy View Post
    Almost done assembling mine. Will try to post a video on youtube or something once i get the bugs worked out.
    Sounds good! Hopefully you'll figure out how to get it to run 6010 electrodes, because I've been thinking about it and reading about setting the machine while stuck outta town here,
    My 69 - was having trouble with the machine, and had to come back home to swap out to my 68, then go back to work.
    46 sae300
    47 sa200 w/Wisconsin VF4
    51 shorthood
    56 shorthood
    56 shorthood
    68 redface
    69 redface
    07 ranger 305G
    13 sae300

Inconel/Hastelloy SS Duplex Chrome/Carbon Tig F3Downhand STT/RMD F3F4 B Pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah been building it in my bedroom. About to move it outside in a few hours and fire it up. Gotta let it break in and stuff before i put it under a real load.

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed in passing that the machine runs 7018 electrodes with somewhat of a doughy arc - kinda where you throw the dough onto a counter and you gotta Knead it so that it flattens out and widens; it's very sensitive to changes - I've noticed for walking the cup for stainless, I could be rather sloppy with my 56 shorthood and yet the puddle would still widen out, wash out, wet from the voltage yet solidifies quickly and make a respectable looking cap pass - but this specific machine, you just need to be a little bit more contentious to help it wash out. I've tried giving a little bit of arc length, so that the puddle would widen, wash out and be flat, but it always seems to weld as if you have an extremely tight arc length, where the 7018 can't fully breathe so it just produces a narrow bead. It is really great for practicing on because you gotta be more controlled to make really nice looking welds
    46 sae300
    47 sa200 w/Wisconsin VF4
    51 shorthood
    56 shorthood
    56 shorthood
    68 redface
    69 redface
    07 ranger 305G
    13 sae300

Inconel/Hastelloy SS Duplex Chrome/Carbon Tig F3Downhand STT/RMD F3F4 B Pressure

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya... Hopefully mine can prove you wrong!!!!!! LOLOL
    Ive got mine DONE. The welding part of it is Hot and ready to go. The engine ...... Is givin me ****. Im havin a hard time Timing the ignition. Its got a Mag with a gear. Thers a procedure on timing the VF4 With marks corresponding with the flywheel and mag gears. But my flywheel shroud is damaged so i cannot see the preexisting marks to align it with....... I timed it 6 different ways. And moved wires around all day until my battery went dead trying to start it...... the brushes are making very pretty blue sparks as it turns when its halfass running...... Its killin me to find out. I know when mine was runnin horrible before rebuild.... 7018 had NOO spatter. 6010 was like an arch goudger. turned up. I loved 7018 with it. sounds like you may need to crank it up a bit. Try addin 20 amps. It might open your puddle up some. The machine produces low voltage. Or the coils may need rebaked and cleaned ect. (Generator shop that rebuilds starters or gens do that.)

Post Thanks / Like

hey Goodolboy - would like to see more pics of the gen housing being removed thinking about tackling that myself save some cash .do you know what the amature and shunt coils are supposed to ohm at ? we have several motor rewind shops in north central ohio gonna send it to be dipped and baked

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeewelder View Post
    hey Goodolboy - would like to see more pics of the gen housing being removed thinking about tackling that myself save some cash .do you know what the amature and shunt coils are supposed to ohm at ? we have several motor rewind shops in north central ohio gonna send it to be dipped and baked
    Well bud i already assembled it. Tried to let you know in advance.... Its really easy. It will take 2 people. First, Unbolt your brushes. Let them hang, But inspect the wires make sure they arent weak. Or may need tapped up. Don't lose the little insulator washers. Then Remove the grease zert cap thing on the very front. Those two little screws, It will reveal the pressed bearing. After you have removed the 4 heavy bolts from the housing from the shunt coil housing, Have someone with a few wedges make a good 1/4 in gap between the two housings. Have him keep it in a bind... Then you my friend with a hammer and chisel or punch try tapping on the 204 bearing until it gives. You will wanna replace the 7 dollar bearing anyway.. It will all slide off at once. Be carefull with your brushes. And unless you plan on rebuilding the engine i sugggest leaving the flex plate that was pressed on the crank 70 years ago alone. It took me a week to get mine straight and balanced again. It bends easy. Good luck. Id sure like to have some help on timing the VF4... With the geared mag. Giving me hell......
    Last edited by Goodolboy; 11-21-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well bud i already assembled it. Tried to let you know in advance.... Its really easy. It will take 2 people. First, Unbolt your brushes. Let them hang, But inspect the wires make sure they arent weak. Or may need tapped up. Don't lose the little insulator washers. Then Remove the grease zert cap thing on the very front. Those two little screws, It will reveal the pressed bearing. After you have removed the 4 heavy bolts from the housing from the shunt coil housing, Have someone with a few wedges make a good 1/4 in gap between the two housings. Have him keep it in a bind... Then you my friend with a hammer and chisel or punch try tapping on the 204 bearing until it gives. You will wanna replace the 7 dollar bearing anyway.. It will all slide off at once. Be carefull with your brushes. And unless you plan on rebuilding the engine i sugggest leaving the flex plate that was pressed on the crank 70 years ago alone. It took me a week to get mine straight and balanced again. It bends easy. Good luck. Id sure like to have some help on timing the VF4... With the geared mag. Giving me hell......
    Give Continental Engines in Edmonton a Call - (780) 426-3890 - I believe on the sales form for the repair work, that Walter Mucha was the mechanic who timed my VF4. (I'm certain its Walter) The downside is, is that typically they'll say "we don't know, bring it in so we could have a look at it" Every company is there to make money, I one time went to AWS in Nisku while not realizing that they're a wanna-be welding repair shop who repairs sa200's but have never seen an sa200 before, I asked them if they could get me a manual on my sa200 long ago and they said "If we did that, we'd wouldn't make any money" they didn't even know where to look for the serial number or where to get parts for the machine. Those AWS Chumps.

Also, look on the Lincoln Electric Manual for your specific machine. I know in mine, it tells how to time the magneto with a very bried description. That Manual is also at home where I am not, so I'm kinda not very helpful.
    46 sae300
    47 sa200 w/Wisconsin VF4
    51 shorthood
    56 shorthood
    56 shorthood
    68 redface
    69 redface
    07 ranger 305G
    13 sae300

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I ended up buying a book off Ebay for the engine for like 6 bucks lol. I had the order wrong on the Magneto. And my carb had a bad needle in seat. Having it rebuilt now, And retiming it soon. Its gonna be a beast!!! I think the welder would be great for hard surfacing stuff.. Smooth as butter with 7018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that bad. Remove the fuel tank, ect ect. Use common sense for that. Then get down to the housing.. It has a 204 bearing under the front housing. Jus unbolt it and tap the bearing apart from armature "Core" . The cover is HEAVY. Be ready.. and by cover i mean the 7/8'' thick pipe with your brushes and copper windings.... the flex plate thats pressed on the crank was EXTREMELY hard to remove, A 2 ton jaw puller. And i suggest using a oxy torch to heat it up... Otherwise hope you can straighten it when its all bent up.lol (Happend to me). It cost me 610 for all that work but i knew the machinist. Wisconsin quoted the same type rebuild. for about 2grand. Im still ****ing with it now. Make sure you take pics of the inside cover where the coils are before you start taking apart wires....And if you can post some on here for me. LoL I forgot that too. Make sure you take GOOD care of all the parts you take off. And label them, along with bolts in a coffee jug or something.... U cant jus buy those parts anymore. If u fk one up you'll have to pay a machinist to make one custom. $$$$$
    I are looking at the possibility of splitting an "linc weld "DC 250 AS" which looks similar to the junior, it has the same v4 engine, anyone got any more info/pics?