+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specifications for Lincoln sa200 Junior w/Wisconsin VF4

Post Thanks / Like

Specifications for Lincoln sa200 Junior w/Wisconsin VF4

Does anyone happen to know the "Length", "Width", "Heigth" and "weight" of a Lincoln sa 200 Junior; VF4 Wisconsin engine - Discontinued Manual "IM119"

even rough estimates? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Specifications for Lincoln sa200 Junior w/Wisconsin VF4

Dimensions as taken at 74 degrees Fahrenheit:
    H - 34" base to top of lift bail, which bail protrudes @ 3" above hood.
    L - 44" flywheel cover to "torpedo" end
    W - 22-3/64" outside of enclosure

Weight - 443 lbs (Alfred's guesstimate)

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow Thankyou so very much, I really needed this info!

Post Thanks / Like

Think the actual weight is about 625lbs. Im rebuilding one peice by piece. Engine block;350lbs, Coils/Shroud;95, Armature core;60, Armature cover;120. I weighed all of them lol. Not including the headtops, or exhaust manifolds or anything.

Post Thanks / Like

how far are you into rebuild ? im part way into my 1949 sa-200 junior finding parts is time consuming . finally have all the sheet metal , selector switch , and rheostat . love to see any pics u have of junior

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goodolboy View Post
    Think the actual weight is about 625lbs. Im rebuilding one peice by piece. Engine block;350lbs. . .
    With a bare block weight of 350 lbs, that's gotta be a different machine than I measured up for reply #2.

The one I'm talkin' about... Alfred gets angry enough with it and by himself he'll lift it over the railing whole, for a toss down into the river.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone needs any help with one of these machines let me know. I came to know quite abit when rebuilding this antique. Any feedback on these machines guys??? I welded with mine for about a day then tore it down and sent the engine off for rebuild. Figured since it ran on 3 cyl when i got it (one was complete toast) and welded as smooth as it did. Maybe was worth it....?

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...html#msg905254
    Lincoln 200 ampere special 1946.
    Wisconsin VF4 Aircooled, Right?? That's a link to another board with pictures of my engine on it.
    Not the bare block with the cyl casing also. But i promise you atleast mine is, every bit of 350lbs. two men can barley lift this, (as i brought it in my house, lol)

You know anything about them being reliable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeewelder View Post
    how far are you into rebuild ? im part way into my 1949 sa-200 junior finding parts is time consuming . finally have all the sheet metal , selector switch , and rheostat . love to see any pics u have of junior
    My phone is a go phone and cannot support pics. Il try to find my webcam. Its not fully assembled. About 35%. Ebay brother. Only real way i know. Or fab the parts yourself.
    My engine was Bored, 040 out, New pistons, exhaust valves, Seated, Guides, Turned crankshaft, Resize rods. (Babbit's) I will try to post some pics in a few mins. But that link i posted was the engine block when i got out of machine shop. Let me try to figure the pic thing out. It demands a link......

Post Thanks / Like

About 35%, Gotta get a bearing for the armature core. And then the rest would take about 2-3 hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

how hard is it to seperate the gen housing from engine ? what did it cost to rebuild engine ?

Post Thanks / Like

how hard is it to seperate the gen housing from engine ? what did it cost to rebuild engine ?
    Not that bad. Remove the fuel tank, ect ect. Use common sense for that. Then get down to the housing.. It has a 204 bearing under the front housing. Jus unbolt it and tap the bearing apart from armature "Core" . The cover is HEAVY. Be ready.. and by cover i mean the 7/8'' thick pipe with your brushes and copper windings.... the flex plate thats pressed on the crank was EXTREMELY hard to remove, A 2 ton jaw puller. And i suggest using a oxy torch to heat it up... Otherwise hope you can straighten it when its all bent up.lol (Happend to me). It cost me 610 for all that work but i knew the machinist. Wisconsin quoted the same type rebuild. for about 2grand. Im still ****ing with it now. Make sure you take pics of the inside cover where the coils are before you start taking apart wires....And if you can post some on here for me. LoL I forgot that too. Make sure you take GOOD care of all the parts you take off. And label them, along with bolts in a coffee jug or something.... U cant jus buy those parts anymore. If u fk one up you'll have to pay a machinist to make one custom. $$$$$
    Last edited by Goodolboy; 11-06-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like

Just have a machinist price you ... U can buy all the internal engine parts from a guy on ebay. He sells head gaskets hit him a PM. Pistons, Rings, and everything for like i think it was 210, But my machinist got them a lil cheaper. so... But id have the crank turned and those babbit rods resized. I almost guarantee if you took the oil pan off atleast one would have excessive play. And the valve guides ect looked at.
    Last edited by Goodolboy; 11-06-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

made some progress - hard to find time to work on itName:  DSCN0563.jpg
Views: 2753
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0560.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0567.jpg
Views: 2756
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0556.jpg
Views: 2871
Size:  57.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for blowing up the thread. But if i were you... Id look at the pistons before you make a decision. engine may have quite a few rods left. Unless you want the same thing i do. A mint condition antique welding machine. these machine draw ALOT of attention. Only few people know about these... I know for a fact, The wisconsin VF4 engine in the machine price can range anywhere from 2-4k restored. These machines were designed to be rebuilt. Not thrown away!!!!
    Last edited by Goodolboy; 11-06-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Niice work!!! Mine is alittle different from yours, Mine does not have a reostat.. Rather 3 different poles than selector. (Same thing) and idle control "is" In fact the fine tune, Not with a dial. But same gen. The bearing is infront of the brushes brotha Good luck keep me posted!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Specifications for Lincoln sa200 Junior w/Wisconsin VF4

made some progress - hard to find time to work on itName:  DSCN0563.jpg
Views: 2753
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0560.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0567.jpg
Views: 2756
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0556.jpg
Views: 2871
Size:  57.0 KB
    Furniture dolly!!!!!! I did the exact same thing!!!!! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Niice work!!! Mine is alittle different from yours, Mine does not have a reostat.. Rather 3 different poles than selector. (Same thing) and idle control "is" In fact the fine tune, Not with a dial. But same gen. The bearing is infront of the brushes brotha Good luck keep me posted!!!!!
    Hey Goodolboy, I'm still stuck outta town here., The last time I used my 47' was just the other day, and I had a friend over, and I told him the way to adjust the amperage, and I said "here you go, here's the stinger, figure it out for yourself" so he had to figure out if the electrode he was burning was at the proper amperage. To my surprise, he found the exact amperage and was practicing with the machine.

Now, I had a little problem with the machine - I have to address it when I get back. I was using my 305G to power all the lights, and was tacking up some pipe, and I said "here! try this! for running a bead." Now, he liked the 305G over my 47', which is no big deal because I took the 47' then and put in a stainless root pass. I also found out that the fuel tank on completely full will only last for literally like 4 or 5 hours that he was over.

When to my surprise that the machine shut down - I never expected it nor even think about it that it would run out of fuel - but it did! I noticed that it was covered in oil on various parts of the engine. So, I don't know if there is maybe a massive leak, or the seals are dried up, or how long the machine was sitting and maybe this or that happened to it - I haven't even had a chance to turn it on. I don't even know if I went over the duty cycle - but all I did with it was put in a stainless root pass, and then I put a 3 pass cap of 309L, 2209 Duplex & 118 Inconel ( I think I have 118, I can't remember what exactly the ones I have)

Now, I know it doesn't like 6010 very much, because I noticed that the voltage seems to drop and the machine acts really funny as if it is surging. However, it will run 7018 fine and effortlessly. The reason why I say that I was welding with 309L, 2209 duplex & 118 Inconel filler metal and brought up that the machine had oil all over itself - I wonder if the machine was able to run the electrodes but internally didn't like burning them, to cause the machine some distress.

Anyways, when yours is running, just watch it for a bit and see how it reacts to different electrodes.
    46’ sae300
    47’ sa200 w/Wisconsin VF4
    51’ shorthood
    56’ shorthood
    56’ shorthood
    68’ redface
    69 redface
    07’ ranger 305G
    13’ sae300

Inconel/Hastelloy – SS – Duplex – Chrome/Carbon Tig – F3Downhand – STT/RMD – F3F4 – B Pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Alright sir. I believe ive spoken to you before on Youtube brotha.
    Sounds like a bad seal somewhere. Putting the engine under stress...
    These little engines used to run day in and day out. Gotta be short about to go to work.
    Ill keep my eye on mine. It burned 7018 smooth as silk. I cranked it up with 6010 i did notice low voltage. But shoot i was using 6010 basicly as arc goudger lolol And it would cut 1/4 pipe. lolo
    Oh and did you put synthetic oil in it???
    I know if a engine has never had syn... and if it was a weak seal it WILL leak. Even if it didnt before.
    Last edited by Goodolboy; 11-07-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorton View Post
    Hey Goodolboy, I'm still stuck outta town here., The last time I used my 47' was just the other day, and I had a friend over, and I told him the way to adjust the amperage, and I said "here you go, here's the stinger, figure it out for yourself" so he had to figure out if the electrode he was burning was at the proper amperage. To my surprise, he found the exact amperage and was practicing with the machine.

Now, I had a little problem with the machine - I have to address it when I get back. I was using my 305G to power all the lights, and was tacking up some pipe, and I said "here! try this! for running a bead." Now, he liked the 305G over my 47', which is no big deal because I took the 47' then and put in a stainless root pass. I also found out that the fuel tank on completely full will only last for literally like 4 or 5 hours that he was over.

When to my surprise that the machine shut down - I never expected it nor even think about it that it would run out of fuel - but it did! I noticed that it was covered in oil on various parts of the engine. So, I don't know if there is maybe a massive leak, or the seals are dried up, or how long the machine was sitting and maybe this or that happened to it - I haven't even had a chance to turn it on. I don't even know if I went over the duty cycle - but all I did with it was put in a stainless root pass, and then I put a 3 pass cap of 309L, 2209 Duplex & 118 Inconel ( I think I have 118, I can't remember what exactly the ones I have)

Now, I know it doesn't like 6010 very much, because I noticed that the voltage seems to drop and the machine acts really funny as if it is surging. However, it will run 7018 fine and effortlessly. The reason why I say that I was welding with 309L, 2209 duplex & 118 Inconel filler metal and brought up that the machine had oil all over itself - I wonder if the machine was able to run the electrodes but internally didn't like burning them, to cause the machine some distress.

Anyways, when yours is running, just watch it for a bit and see how it reacts to different electrodes.
    On the duty cycle.... An older man who helped me tear it down. Told me back in "his" day. The machines they had, The Duty Cycle was based off the fuel tank. When she runs out, Let it rest for 30-1hr. Dont jus keep dumping it in. 4-5 hours WOW that blows. Ive heard these engines drink the gas. But ill see what mine does when i get around to buying bolts. (Lost some),....

Post Thanks / Like

Alright sir. I believe ive spoken to you before on Youtube brotha.
    Sounds like a bad seal somewhere. Putting the engine under stress...
    These little engines used to run day in and day out. Gotta be short about to go to work.
    Ill keep my eye on mine. It burned 7018 smooth as silk. I cranked it up with 6010 i did notice low voltage. But shoot i was using 6010 basicly as arc goudger lolol And it would cut 1/4 pipe. lolo
    Oh and did you put synthetic oil in it???
    I know if a engine has never had syn... and if it was a weak seal it WILL leak. Even if it didnt before.
    Well, I have a conspiracy theory that I'm entertaining that the repair shop does little things to the machine so that it will break down, and you'll have to go back to them to fix.

I'm trying to be really careful with it; I let these machines warm up for quite a while before I start welding with them. Not too sure what oil the repair shop put in - they had an experienced mechanic do the work, but costly! The other day I was charged $140/hr just to get 2 machines calibrated in all of 20 mins a machine, and fix 2 wires on the 67'.. $490.00 ( can you do this today? means lets charge short term rate and have an apprentice work on it - come back at 1)

That 6010 electrode is the only electrode it did not like. It had absolutely no problem tig welding, no problem running electrodes like stainless, Duplex & inconel but 6010, It acts like the machine is in a higher gear and has a lower fine current setting; quite often the electrode will start popping & extinguishing itself out. I'm thinking maybe for a 1/8th 6010 electrode, maybe using the very top peg, and run at a higher idle, rather than the middle peg and at a medium idle. I've been thinking about the machine ever since I had to go out of town here, with the problem I had with it of the oil.

Haha stressed out Machine; lol the previous owner probably bonked the machine on the forehead with a club, grunting at it like "you weld now!" whereas, in my hands, it probably has never had someone come up to it like "hey! how are you doing today?" *big hug* "let me introduce you to my other machines, this one is my 56', this one is ..." my 3000 pound sae300 will protect it!
    46’ sae300
    47’ sa200 w/Wisconsin VF4
    51’ shorthood
    56’ shorthood
    56’ shorthood
    68’ redface
    69 redface
    07’ ranger 305G
    13’ sae300

Inconel/Hastelloy – SS – Duplex – Chrome/Carbon Tig – F3Downhand – STT/RMD – F3F4 – B Pressure

Post Thanks / Like

where u located goodolboy ? im in noth central ohio

Post Thanks / Like

where u located goodolboy ? im in noth central ohio
    Southeast oklahoma, Are you still having problems???
    New to this site. But if theres a way to pm someone pm me ur number. My phone can send pics. I can take a few more closeups of mine before i install the casing. That might help??
    Last edited by Goodolboy; 11-08-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorton View Post
    Well, I have a conspiracy theory that I'm entertaining that the repair shop does little things to the machine so that it will break down, and you'll have to go back to them to fix.

I'm trying to be really careful with it; I let these machines warm up for quite a while before I start welding with them. Not too sure what oil the repair shop put in - they had an experienced mechanic do the work, but costly! The other day I was charged $140/hr just to get 2 machines calibrated in all of 20 mins a machine, and fix 2 wires on the 67'.. $490.00 ( can you do this today? means lets charge short term rate and have an apprentice work on it - come back at 1)

That 6010 electrode is the only electrode it did not like. It had absolutely no problem tig welding, no problem running electrodes like stainless, Duplex & inconel but 6010, It acts like the machine is in a higher gear and has a lower fine current setting; quite often the electrode will start popping & extinguishing itself out. I'm thinking maybe for a 1/8th 6010 electrode, maybe using the very top peg, and run at a higher idle, rather than the middle peg and at a medium idle. I've been thinking about the machine ever since I had to go out of town here, with the problem I had with it of the oil.

Haha stressed out Machine; lol the previous owner probably bonked the machine on the forehead with a club, grunting at it like "you weld now!" whereas, in my hands, it probably has never had someone come up to it like "hey! how are you doing today?" *big hug* "let me introduce you to my other machines, this one is my 56', this one is ..." my 3000 pound sae300 will protect it!
    Haha. I think its more of a fact than a conspiracy. LOL I knew a few guys that worked in an auto repair shop. And their boss would tell them to **** something up most of the time. Or would jus say, (sure looks like you need some brakes) LOL Even though you didnt! And by "Stress" I mean under a load. LoL Funny way of looking at it tho. Theres only a few places it can really leak.... first things id check is the Mag, Then engine gov. (It has a oil intake hose leading up to it from the oil filter area) To oil the timing gears. The end seals maybe. They have needle bearings in them. Tis why engines last so long. I know if you throw a rod it will leak oil everywhere!!!!!! LOLOL JK!!!! Hope so anyway. Id fire it up and stick it a few times and watch everything. It should show then...

Post Thanks / Like

Almost done assembling mine. Will try to post a video on youtube or something once i get the bugs worked out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist