+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Fail! post pics here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

Here's my contribution to the thread. This thing is a home-made skid-steer forklift attachment from a
    local scrap yard. It kept breaking, and I got to fix it. I ended up taking on this job as my first ever paid
    welding gig a little over a year ago. Here's what I had to start with:

I took it to school and arc-aired about half of it off, and the other half pretty much just broke off.
    Gouged off some more of the old weld, and welded it back up with 10 passes of 5/32" 7018.

Good times lol
    [Account Abandoned 8/8/16 Please Do Not Attempt Contact Or Expect A Reply]. See you on YouTube! -ChuckE2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greek View Post
    poor lincoln
    I'm waiting for the big 3 set their lawyers on stun and force youtube to pull these or at least black out the labels.
    Re: first posted video- his parents must be proud. All they wanted was a Doctor or a Lawyer, like all the other parents:
    "...... but NooOOOoooo, you had to be a hippster and make youtube videos rike your stupid honky friends! You bring shame! How did we raise a Banana!"
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Housedad View Post
    Well seeing how its called "stick welding" I'd say that he did a great job welding that stick to work lol. Funny video.

Post Thanks / Like

So many pretty pictures of my work. You guys are going to give away my secrets. lol. Seriously though, I'm amazed that people call that welding.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342056313.542496.jpg
Views: 14471
Size:  50.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342056342.659932.jpg
Views: 14468
Size:  41.3 KB

This machine had only covered 100 acres before a major breakdown.

This is a weld assembly for the main drawbar attachment on my discbine. It's a center pivot machine, so it swings from the left to the right of the tractor with each pass in the fields. In other words, it sees a lot of movement.

The machines cylinder was supposed to be welded to the frame. Clearly, by the break pattern, the welds were very poor. Aesthetically pleasing, but no penetration. To give some idea on size (I took these photos last year to document the problems), the frame section is 12mm and a 50mm wide pin goes through the cylinder.

I cut and beveled the frame section and cleaned the hell out of the cylinder with a wire wheel. I welded it back up with multiple pass 11018.

Over 600 acres later, it's still running like new. The manufacturer, Taarup, acknowledged the faulty welds and blamed a new robotic welding system. The paid for all damaged parts ($3000 in CV shafts) as well as my time to perform the repairs.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342057939.201621.jpg
Views: 13885
Size:  52.0 KB

More of a professional fail, but still a fail.
    Lincoln Precision Tig 185
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Everlast 140ST
    Smith O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Those vids are unreal. I thought the Kardashians were making America dumb. Appearently there is a much greater force at work. I think people trying to learn skilled trades is a great thing. However to be so bad at something and make statements so bold as "welding really isn't that hard" or "thats a solid bond". I got to tell you I'm screaming encore. I issue a video challange to these video authors. The choices are "wiring a house. a little spark is a good thing" or "plumbing propane appliances. Whats that smell?" Thanks for the posts everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course the company places blame of failed weld on robot... certainly you can't blame the guy who programmed it, or the quality control department who didn't do extensive destructive and nondestructive testing on welds done by said robot before putting the products on the market.
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Post Thanks / Like

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASYyb-9xY0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

A challenger for the title.

Post Thanks / Like

Battery welding is quite common for remote emergency repairs on offoad rigs. Of course, having some welding know-how goes a long way to making it actually work.
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbchp355 View Post

A challenger for the title.
    I respectfully disagree. These guys are broke down in the middle of nowhere. They call it redneck welding, but it's more like emergency repair in the field. And they aren't billing themselves as showing anyone 'how to stick weld'. like the idiots in the earlier videos.

Papa
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papaharley03 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. These guys are broke down in the middle of nowhere. They call it redneck welding, but it's more like emergency repair in the field. And they aren't billing themselves as showing anyone 'how to stick weld'. like the idiots in the earlier videos.

Papa
    I can see your point and it is valid reguarding instructional aspect. Still have you ever seen a battery explode. The post is called welding fail there is no win here. If they have the abilitly to scrape up a bunch of batteries, jumper cables, weld rod. There are other options. Your right those not the same as the others just a different breed. I guess if its a common repair I wasn't aware. Still when batteries go boom its ugly.
    Last edited by KD Welding; 07-11-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbchp355 View Post
    I can see your point and it is valid reguarding instructional aspect. Still have you ever seen a battery explode. The post is called welding fail there is no win here. If they have the abilitly to scrape up a bunch of batteries, jumper cables, weld rod. There are other options. Your right those not the same as the others just a different breed. I guess if its a common repair I wasn't aware. Still when batteries go boom its ugly.
    Yeah, exploding batteries aren't a pretty sight. They really only need to have some type of current limiting device in line and then they aren't that far off from the commercially sold Ready Welder. Even an inline fuse of say 100 amps should protect from overheating the batteries.

Regards,

Papa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papaharley03 View Post
    Yeah, exploding batteries aren't a pretty sight. They really only need to have some type of current limiting device in line and then they aren't that far off from the commercially sold Ready Welder. Even an inline fuse of say 100 amps should protect from overheating the batteries.

Regards,

Papa
    Starting batteries or even deep cycles that are common in offroad use are much more than capable of supplying the current required for welding. 24volts is only going to push so many amps, the battery is not going to explode lol
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like

A piece of heavy coat hangar wire between the 2 batteries instead of a jumper cable works well for current limiting.
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Post Thanks / Like

Battery welding for remote repairs whilst 4wdriving is common practice. I have done a number of demonstrations on how to do this to different groups. Here is a bit of a video on a demo I did at a national Prado owners meeting last year.

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...h-Welding-Demo

Scroll down and there are some pics of the welds and the makeshift welding helmet, the 2 welds on the left are mine, I only had an hours notice that they wanted the demo and i was 2000 miles from home so had to make do with what I had in the car! (I am AJ120 on that forum)

Cheers Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
    lol that last video was awesome
    My favorite part wasn't that he was using the hammer, but that he keeps a framing hammer within reach, obviously just for this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
    Starting batteries or even deep cycles that are common in offroad use are much more than capable of supplying the current required for welding. 24volts is only going to push so many amps, the battery is not going to explode lol
    I agree... especially in regards to deep cycle batteries. That being said, I think they needed to be using 3 to get the OCV up to 36 to help keep the rod lit. I have deep cycle batteries supplying my trolling motor, but I don't find much need to weld out on the water.

Besides, why would I carry a welder around if I was off roading. Having a couple of spare deep cycle batteries with me is a possible solution to more issues than emergency welding.

Papa

Post Thanks / Like

The funny part of the battery welding video is not that he was welding with it, but the script on the end of the video, which says 'this weld ended up not working, as the weld took to the axle but not the leaf spring.' He was trying to weld the axle to the leaf spring! I say he is still a contender

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    He was trying to weld the axle to the leaf spring! I say he is still a contender
    You do what you feel you have to do in order to make it home where the proper repair job can be done.

Just sayin...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    The funny part of the battery welding video is not that he was welding with it, but the script on the end of the video, which says 'this weld ended up not working, as the weld took to the axle but not the leaf spring.' He was trying to weld the axle to the leaf spring! I say he is still a contender
    Some fellow offroad racers were stuck on the side of HWY 1 in Mexico with 4 out of 6 studs sheared off on the left front wheel of their Landcruiser....I laid some flux core welds (very poorly might I add) on the hub to keep the aluminum wheel from falling off.

They made it home to San Diego safely.

I've used the frame of a Hi-lift jack in place of a broken coil-over shock on our race truck to get us out of Ojos Negros...the ride was stiff but we made it back to Ensenada safely.

Hell..we've welded bolts, wrenches, vise-grips, used duct-tape, electrical wire, soda cans, zip-ties,....you name it to fix race trucks in the desert.

Doing what it takes to finish a race or make it home from the trail does not mean that you are a hack, it means you are resourceful.

...now if you don't properly repair the vehicle when you get back home and leave the trail repairs as-is, then that's a whole different story!!
    http://all-a-cart.com

Welding Cart Kits and accessories

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one from a tractor manufacture. The weld peeled back from the plate, leaving the loader inop, note the red arrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

I think that a lot can be said about the guys trying to make it home. If you have an idea, try it. Youre already stranded anyways. As for the others who make the "How-To" videos in their ninja masks, I hope that people have the common sence to do more research than on the tube. Just my $.02

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think sometimes people post what they are doing as spoof and they don't really believe what they are saying?
    Lincoln Power Mig 210MP MIG
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln TIG 300-300
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v Thanks JLAMES
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    My brain

Post Thanks / Like

Just search back through some of my older posts and you will find plenty of weld fail topics to enjoy
    I am what I am, Deal with it!

If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

Post Thanks / Like

either get good at wleding or get good at grinding. these folks seem to be god at neither.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist