Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angle grinder brand quality

Post Thanks / Like

Angle grinder brand quality

Having perused the angle grinder efficiency thread I have to ask how loyal to the big brand names are you guys out there. Personally I have a grudge on with Dewalt, don't know why but I have had the worst luck. 4-1/2 grinder used on light duty,sharpening sickle and guard sections on swather,packed in on second season. Gears stripped,and from what I saw they were never meshing correctly from factory. Then last week my beloved makita smoked out. Armature shorted,brushes were still 80 percent. So I now buy the 30 buck cheap,when it smokes pull the wheel and chuck it. However my 7 inch makita is eons old,still chugging. Other Dewalt items have not been acceptable,a reciprocal saw that made wierd grind noises when operated on its side and a Dewalt skill saw that sounded like it was about to shrapnel when cutting. Both wentback and traded up to the greenish blue line. How many of you out there use the disposable brands for grinding?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Angle grinder brand quality

I always use my dad's really old metal body Black and Decker haha, Its ancient but I don't think it'll ever break because its so heavy duty. It was made before Black&Decker went down the toilet. But I am about to buy a smaller 4 1/2 bosch for this coming year at trade school. Same grinders my High school used and those things got abused by people who didn't know how to properly handle tools( i.e just dropping them onto tables instead of setting them down. Or tossing them to one another and dropping them on the ground) And even after all the abuse they still worked. I love Bosch!
    "If you ain't making mistakes, it means you aren't learning anything."

Post Thanks / Like

I have a nine inch Milwaukee that must be 25 years old but have had porter cable Milwaukee and now metabo 4" they have been ok
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

I have Makita's, Bosch, and cheapy Mastercraft from Can. Tire. And have used many DeWalt's and Walters. IMHO, they all really work the same. I like the Maki's and Bosch because they have small body diameters and are easy to one-hand. The Mast. Craft where $19.99 on sale with a 3yr. warranty. Got those for the dirty jobs with cup stones and flat stone grinding. They are both about 6yrs old and one is just starting to die(bearings). I have a suspicion that a lot of the 4 1/2" grinders that die in a year are being used too heavily, being pushed to do a job that a 7" should be used for.
    I think lots of grinders start to fail, but it's actually just the brushes, and people don't think of that.
    Liek I said, just MHO.
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO its all about the amps. I often find indivduals trying to shave down 1/2" of material with a 4.5 cheapo grinder just going to town and listening to the motor get bogged down, instead of moving up to a higher amperage or possible larger diameter disk

Im a fan of Dewalt's personally, but have had a lot of luck with pretty much all of them. Im a huge fan of the makita variable speed 4.5" angle grinders.

Sounds like you might be using the grinders a little hard. I burned out a few before I stepped up to a 15 amp larger diameter disk grinder for sharpening. As a rule of thumb I use:
    - under 7 amps for flapper wheels and removing things like mill scale
    - 7-10 amps for light grinding, no more than 1/16th of metal, great for rust spots and cleaning up bevels and what not
    - 10-15 amps for more than 1/16th material - making bevels and what not, as well as cones, brushes and other grinding accesories.

So for example, when sharpening a fixed blade similar to those found on finishing mowers I create the edge with the 15 amp grinder, clean up the small imperfections with a 7 amp, and remove the rust/build up with a flapper on a 4.5.
    Last edited by smokin_dodge; 07-13-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    I break things for a living...

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is the Metabo, not cheap.
    As far as Dewalt goes , that's all we use at work. Like all manufactures, there are different grades. I saw Dewalt sales where they had 2 for $49.99. We stay away from them. You gotta
    spend around $100.00 for a decent one.
    For a home owner the HF will work. You can't beat the price but don't expect it last.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Metabo, as was said, they aren't cheap but they are the best!

Post Thanks / Like

DeWalt 4-1/2" with 10Amp motor for me.
    I have used the Bosch and Milwaukee equivalents and like them as well.

Post Thanks / Like

i always worked in shop with a office tools supplier guy in the shop, and one day i was changing my small 4 1/2 Metabo grinder and while he was scriber my employe numbers on my new Makita grinder he told me that the most of the tools that we have to repair is Metabo, Dewalt, Bosch.

The problems with grinder when you work in a company is sometimes the company buy what is the best deal for them, i even heard about company like Hilti sell their grinders and tools cheaper when you buy from them a lot of concrete anchors and stuff, but its not always the best tools!

Personally my choice for my recent grinder was a small 4 1/2 Makita grinder, all the place i used to work was using them and i never had problem, and because the Makita supplier store is near my company so if i have problem i can go there!

If i had the money to afford it, and was really into grinding metal (what im not really) my choice would be Walter, using their big 6'' model and smaller 4 1/2 and works great, you feel the quality in your hand when you hold it even when its not running

I don't know why but i always thoug Dewalt and Milwaukee was home brand, never seen Dewalt tools in a shop i worked, Bosch sometimes!
    Last edited by LayoutMan; 07-14-2012 at 03:30 AM.
    Calculator > Bevel Square

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.........
    Eisenblätter....high quality, long life.......Nice colour too....

http://www.eisenblaetter.de/eng/produkte/varilex.html
    Is the Eisenblätter brand available local (in Australia) or do you order directly from Germany? I can't find a US distributor.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Dewalt 4 1/2 grinders for years with no problems and will continue for all my steel work but...
    I have started to do more with aluminum and wanted a couple of 4 1/2 grinders to be used strictly for aluminum work, one with wire brush and other with grinder wheel. I noticed a coupon for a Drill Master 4 1/2 Grinder at HF cost $12.99. I bought two a couple of weeks ago and so far I am very happy with them. They also came with extra brushes. I have heard they go on sale for $10 too.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-h...der-95578.html
    MillerMatic 212, Lincoln Precision TIG 225, Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

I've only had one grinder, 8-10 years old now. Its a Dewalt 4 1/2. I don't know the amperage, but the thing has been very good to me, as has my Dewalt 1/2" corded drill. That bastard will jack you up if you're not careful. Looking at picking up a Dewalt 14" chop saw soon.
    -edit. Just looked at the Eisenblätter site, and the actions shots of the grinders / polishers they have feature gloveless hands. Nice!
    -Aaron
    Last edited by rabidchimp; 07-14-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    Jet 17.5" Drill Press
    1942 South Bend 16x84 Lathe
    1980s Miller 320A / BP --- 2013 Power Mig 256
    2012 Jet 7x12 Horizontal Bandsaw
    Victor O/A Setup

Post Thanks / Like

I've used dewalt grinders for 4-5 years now. I've got 3 Dewalts, two 8amp, 4.5" and one 15amp 7" model. Don't know the model numbers off hand. All have been very reliable. Both small grinders are 4-5 years old. Just replaced the brushes in both small grinders and the on/off switch in one b/c it failed. $20 each for parts and shipping and they're good as new. Once a year I repack the gear heads with grease.

I've used others Metabo grinders in the past. I like those too.

I will second the notion that too often folks are abusing 4.5" angle grinders. I will use the biggest grinder I can bring to bear on whatever I'm working on. Nobody I know likes using a 7 or 9" grinder overhead.

I don't apply a lot of pressure to the grinding wheel, If I can hear the motor slowing down, I back off. Let the tool do the work. They run cooler and last longer. Heat kills electrical appliances. If time is money, then lean hard on the tools and burn them up. But don't complain about it. If time isn't a factor, then use some patience and proper technique, and don't ruin the tool. Just my $0.02.
    Benson's Mobile Welding - Dayton, OH metro area - AWS Certified Welding Inspector

Post Thanks / Like

I will chime in on the Metabo camp my favorite. And a 4 1/2 Metabo can be bought pretty reasonable :

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-W8-115-600259420-2-Inch-Grinder/dp/B001CSEJLA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342288404&sr=8-2&keywords=metabo+4+1%2F2+grinder[/ame]

My trigger grip Dewault cost me more.

My favorite most used are my 6 inch Metabo, small enough I still want to use it, heavy enough it means business I still need to get out the big grinder once in a while but not often, they are pretty pricey though.

On bagging on Dewault, read the handle, if it says made in China you know what your getting, the better Dewaults are Mexico, and olders one USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Metabos can be found second-hand at pretty decent prices if you're patient.
    Jack Olsen
    My garage website

Post Thanks / Like

Makita is a good grinder, they are popular around here and make up most of my 5" and smaller grinders. I also have two bosch 4-1/2" which were on sale 2 for 1 at the lws, they have been good also.

I also have a 7" milwaukee which I bought back when I first started but doesn't get used much anymore but is still going strong.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc TM 300 300
    MM 200
    MM 251

30a Spoolgun
    Precision Tig 375
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

Post Thanks / Like

In over 25 years I've used many brands and models.

My experience (YMMV):

Fein, awesome, smooth, tough. priced higher than gold

Festool, great cases, serious quality, priced slightly less than gold

Metabo, in my, never even close to humble, opinion this is the great "working mans" grinder. Not cheap, but not crazy high. Lasts a long time with a little care and (to me) have a noticeably smoother gear box than the following brands. Good brand to keep around if you use it every day.

Bosch, one of the better "low end" brands

Makita, on par with Bosch. Do they both use the same shade of blue?

Milwaukee, I love their 10-15 amp models. You can hear the difference in power, they don't bog down too easy. Last as long as any decent power tool with a little care.

Dewalt, better than HF and the other cheap "also ran" brands.

HF and "others" I'll keep my opinion of these to myself, it won't help anyone.

All that said I'm a Metabo guy, one big plus is most of their models have a slip clutch if you jam them up. Never had to find out, and hope I never do, but it seems to me like that may save a finger in a pinch. I'm sure they're not the only brand with this.

But the biggest reason I like them is the smooth gear box. Less tingle-y fingers at the end of the day, and they don't get shipped from Fort Knox.
    Last edited by app-ironworksllc; 07-14-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Brian Leonard
    Appalachian Ironworks L.L.C.
    434 Long Branch Rd, Marshall, NC 28753
    828 649 9966
    828 702 0697
    brian@appironworks.com
    www.appironworks.com

Post Thanks / Like

4 1/2 'Merabo w/ grinding disc
    4' Makita with wire cup
    2 - 4 1/2' drill masters one w/cut-off other w/ flap disc
    7' Milwaukee for the heavy jobs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlgabel View Post
    DeWalt 4-1/2" with 10Amp motor for me.
    I have used the Bosch and Milwaukee equivalents and like them as well.
    Ditto that. Got to get the 10 amp version, the 6 or 7 amp ones don't have the guts and burn up quickly. I run about 6 of the dewalts. I try to keep the same model for all grinders so I can stock a couple of switches and a few sets of brushes for quick repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

#1 - "Vintage" Black and Decker
    #2 - Metabo
    Lincoln SA200's... at least 15 - 20. They come and go. Growing partial to the "Short Hoods" in my old age. Last count on Short Hoods was 13 in possession.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I like about the higher priced DeWalt is when you put a rubber backing pad and flat sanding disc on it, the stud does not protrude. This way you can hold it completely flat for final cleanup of spatter without digging in. My Milwaukees spin about 1000 RPM's faster, which I thought would be better, but after using both I prefer 10,000 RPM. It throws less wires from brushes. The stud on the milwaukee also protrudes just enough so you can't hold a disc flat.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Metabo fan here. And Fein.

My 4 1/2" and 5" angle grinders have lasted for 12 years and going strong. My inox variable speed grinder is only a few months old and though you can see evidence of cost cutting in the weight of the wrench and quick adjusting nut, the grinder performs under load without complaint, like the others. One of the reasons I prefer them is because they are comparably much easier to use over long periods of finishing; the vibration is really that much less stressful on my hands and arms. The Fein angle grinders are nice and light, low vibration and small circumference body for smaller hands.
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is by far the worst thing to ever happen to President Lincoln in a theater

Post Thanks / Like

I had a HF 4 ½ inch grinder and after an hour or two my hands tingled from the vibration even after turning the grinder off. I gave it to my neighbor and bought a 4 inch Makita grinder. It was so much smoother I would never use another HF grinder.
    Hobart 210 MVP
    Hobart beta-mig 2510 Mig welder
    Hobart 12ci Plasma cutter
    Victor OA Welding/Cutting Rig
    Linde 295 amp Stick welder bought 30+ years ago

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best for do-it-yourselfer is a 'blue' Bosch (1821 or 1375) angle grinder. If you are using the machine for a little time (1 hour a day maximum) and if you do basic cutting and grinding work with it.

http://www.thebestanglegrinders.com/...rinder-review/

If you work for more time continuously (more than 1 hour each time) with the angle grinder and the lower speed is important (paint sanding, fine polishing) then you may want to choose a more professional machine. Metabo or DeWalt would be the best for it.

http://www.thebestanglegrinders.com/...rinder-review/

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Metabos. Makitas. Boschz, Skil. No Milwaukees or DuhWahl.
    Name:  PB271000.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  67.3 KB