Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weld repair

Post Thanks / Like

Re: weld repair

7018 is more forgiving. 6010 is more brittle. With good prep you can get a perfect root with 7018.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

7018 usually has better mechanical and impact numbers, IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammack_Welding
    As far as a crack starting deep in the center of a weld goes, I always thought that is where they would originate especially if you did not achieve full penetration.
    Well, that wouldn't be the center of the weld, but the backside of the weld.

Once again, I don't know the answer. But I would like to know because I will be doing welding in the field and will want to do it the right way the first time.

You guys bridge open roots with 7018? If so, do you build up on each edge until they are close enough to run a pass across? Or do you bridge it on one end and weave it to fill it up as you go?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WelderBoy
    Well, that wouldn't be the center of the weld, but the backside of the weld.

Once again, I don't know the answer. But I would like to know because I will be doing welding in the field and will want to do it the right way the first time.

You guys bridge open roots with 7018? If so, do you build up on each edge until they are close enough to run a pass across? Or do you bridge it on one end and weave it to fill it up as you go?

Well I never really meant as in the exact center of the weld rather the backside at the root. As far as open roots, yea I bridge them all the time with a 7018. it depends on the joint but I usually try to leave a gap the size of the rod I am using and it bridges quite easily. Start the puddle weave over and bridge it and then weave up the joint watching the sides tie in. Take a look at the (up vs. Down) thread I did awhile back. left a 3/32 gap on all of those and ran 7018 no problem. Just my opinion, but if you are going to be making a living in the field, especially in the repair section then a 7018 is your best bet all the way around. unless other precedures are called for.
    Last edited by Hammack_Welding; 08-28-2007 at 11:38 PM.
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

Post Thanks / Like

I repaired it yesterday, someone who goes by birdhunter1 left the rod can open on my 7018's so I used 6011's on it. These are not the prettiest and my camera batteries died so i only got a few pics to post:

Root pass on one side, the camera angle sucks but the weld looks better in person than this picture:

This is one the back side that I had at first not thought about doing but Hammack talkd me into it, aside from that one pinhole hole it looks pretty good:

What caused the pinhole right in the middle, it seems to just be a surface spot as I used a pick to try and get in there but it did not seem very deep? I was keeping the puddle as uniform as possible, could it have been a bit of slag left from the pass underneath it?

I love my air powered die grinders but they don't make fast work of grinding old welds off, most of my time was spent with them. I wish I could have got my 4 1/2" in there but it was too big to get near any of it.
    Getting this thing off the tractor wasn't hard, getting it back on was a B####.
    Last edited by Birdhunter1; 08-31-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anybody else see them besides me?

Post Thanks / Like

Red X.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I see no X's.

Did you try to link them from your hard drive? Because that won't work. If you tried to use imageshack, or photobucket, then you need to make the pictures public. Or that won't work either.

Or you can just host them on weldingweb.........

Post Thanks / Like

I put them on photobucket, I'll try it again later.

Post Thanks / Like

Photobucket sucks my nuts. Use www.imageshack.us. Never once had a problem with imageshack.us but I can't count how many times a day I get the "photobucket image not found" error.