Thread: Generator and welder

Post Thanks / Like

Generator and welder

I have a Lincoln AC 225-s and I also have a 5kw portable generator. Mostly the generator has only been used to power and air compressor for tire repairs in the field or portable power. I have never tried to power my welder with it, I know it would not handle it at the higher settings but would it power it at about 100 amps or so? I've never had a need to it away from the shop, but if I did someday woudl it do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Generator and welder

It should work on the lower settings. I don't know exactly how high it will go.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were a Miller or a Hobart it definitely would...but it may not on the Tombstones. I seem to recall somewhere that they need to have full power to run at any setting. Sounds strange, but that is what the brain is kicking out at the moment. Try it and see....you'll know quickly. If it doesn't work, it could overload and damage the generator...

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it blow a fuse on the generator before it would overload and damage it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhunter1
    Wouldn't it blow a fuse on the generator before it would overload and damage it?
    That would be nice, yes. Doesn't mean it will tho. A short circuit will trip a breaker in a flash. But just under heavy load a rare few might trip right at the load limit. Most I've seen will hunker down and pull their little hearts right out for ya. I've seen them pull the engine down till it dies and the breaker trips right about the last three shudders.