+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Learning 7018. Critiquing appreciated.

Home, PA (Yes, that's the name of the town.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Learning 7018. Critiquing appreciated.

I got my Airco Heliwelder a few weeks ago and I've been mainly doing TIG welding with it and learning to TIG aluminum, but I thought that it was time that I learn to do some stick welding as well. My father-in-law bought me a box of 3/32" 7018 rods as a gift when I finally got my welder. I grabbed a piece of 1/4" angle and shined it all up and started stacking beads into the corner of the angle and filling it up. I didn't get pictures of the piece that I ran stringers on, but I did snap a picture of the piece where I was running weave beads. I will be at the shop all weekend so I will be getting in lots of practice and I'll be sure to snap more pictures that I will post up over the weekend. My tie-ins look pretty bad but I'll keep working on it.

Settings:
    Rods: 3/32" Hobart 7018. Just stored in a sealed plastic box. I need to get a small oven.
    Polarity: DCEP
    Amps: 80A on the first pass. Then I bumped it to 85A for the second pass, then 90A for the third pass.
    Position: Flat/Horizontal

The left side of the picture is the third bead, and the center and right side is the second bead. My camera doesn't take wide enough pictures for me to get the first bead in the shot. More pictures to come...

Name:  7018 Horizontal Fillet (800x600).jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  57.5 KB
    Brad George

Current Equipment:
    AIRCO Heliwelder IV 300Amp Model - Total Awesomeness!
    Old 120v Hobart Handler MIG
    Various grinders, cutting tools, hammers, clamps, ect...
    "I'm an amateur welder with lots left to learn..."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Learning 7018. Critiquing appreciated.

Heat setting = When you have burned the rod down to about 1 - 1/2" long it should be glowing red. If it's not, your running too cold. Don't sweat throwing away longer stubs. Once the flux is burned, toss them.

Thanks,

Hobo
    Lincoln SA200's... at least 15 - 20. They come and go. Growing partial to the "Short Hoods" in my old age. Last count on Short Hoods was 13 in possession.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip. The box the rods came in says 80-100A on DCEP. I'll try running it a little hotter and see how it goes.
    Not worried about the stubs. I have to learn somehow. I can always buy more rods.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

After looking at my settings the highest I had the amperage was 85A. I turned it up to 90-95A and now when I stop welding the rod stub is slightly glowing. The extra 5-7A seemed to help quite a bit. Here is what I did a few minutes ago...Still got a long way to go but I think I'll be able to get it with enough practice...

Name:  7018 Weave (800x600).jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  79.3 KB
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

5. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind, the amperage indicators on some machines can be off significantly. Use the dial as a starting point and the welding characteristics described above to fine tune.
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

Post Thanks / Like

The rod stub doesn't need to be glowing red. This is not an indicator of proper machine tuning. Instead, what your finished weld looks like should tell you if the machine is set properly or not. Honestly, a glowing red rod is probably too hot. I weld 7018 all day every day in code situations, hardly if ever have a glowing rod, and pass all of my xrays with ease.

You mentioned you need to invest in a rod oven. You don't. The rod oven is important when trying to keep rods within code spec. For work around the shop and for hobby work, there is no need to keep 7018 at temperature.
    Matthew Morton
    Texas A&M '06

SA 200 (Code: 6633)
    TB 302
    CP 302 w/22A Wire Feeder
    MillerMatic 141
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    MillerMatic 252
    MillerMatic 350P
    BurnTables 4x4 CNC Machine
    Hypertherm 65

8. Likes shortarc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I said about getting an oven I should have been more specific. I know I don't need to keep them in perfect spec for the work I will be doing with them, but if they would happen to draw damp, as I'm sure the box they're in isn't perfectly sealed, I would like something I could power on and dry them back out with.

As for the accuracy of my amperage knob, that was one of the first things I checked once I got the machine home. I used a clamp on meter and the knob is pretty accurate, give or take 1-2 amps, which was quite surprising for an old machine like mine. Then again, the thing is built like a freaking tank.

The rod isn't glowing bright red when I'm done, it's a very faint glow, but bumping the amperage up to 90 did help, the puddle seemed to flow a bit better. I know I still need a ton of practice yet so I'll keep burning rods and posting pictures, you guys keep the tips and criticism coming.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest a little more heat and keep your arc length shorter to decrease the buckshot. Focus more on consistant travel speed rather than weaving.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

11. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i find 7018 to be the easiest rod. i use it every day in the field. its very forgiving, just establish your puddle and focus on keeping it consistent.. personally thats key.

once you keep practicing, different thicknesses etc REMEMBER your machine settings, remember what YOU like. just about every day if i grab the stinger from my partner in the field its to hot for me. it works for him but i dont like the machine set so high. so everyone is different. even what your machine specs recommend aren't dead on. so my advice is adjust that machine untill your very comfortable with it and it lays down nice and easy...once you have the machine set right and all the technical stuff down (of course there are other factors..rod brand, sometimes they get wet, different positions, sometimes the metal isnt fully clean etc..mostly field conditions from my experience but some overlays into the shop) welding 7018 is cake. but if your not set up properly your just going to bust your nuts for no reason. but that goes for all rods.

alot of people tell me jet rod is the easiest rod to weld with. i disagree, yeah in the shop when you have the machine set up just right its a joke to lay a weld down but once again in the field not so much... dont forget about voltage drop through long sections of lead. you will have to adjust accordingly.

anyways looks like your on the right track and shortly you will be pretty damn good. keep it up

Post Thanks / Like

Note most rod ovens will not "dry" damp rods. To do so usually you need to take them up to about 750 deg if I'm remembering Lincolns info correctly. Normal ovens are designed to "maintain" rods that are already dry.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

14. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have your weave down. Now learn how to run stringers, in all positions.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

To much weave to start with, stop thinking and let the rod do its thing so you can see how it behaves. Once you get that down you can play with weaving.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    You have your weave down. Now learn how to run stringers, in all positions.
    No, weave stinks! horrible! weave is all willy nilly. stringers, stringers. stringers bud, then venture out!
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips and constructive criticism, I'll be running a bunch of stringers today and see how I do with that.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

Tight Arcs, watch puddle not slag pool. Get comfortable with stringers first. Weave is ugly, theres some criticism.

Overhead is a great way to really enforce tight arc and proper rod angle. If you long arc it, you will be rewarded with a puddle of molten steel somewhere on your persons. Just running stringers overhead helped me nail down my overhead fill and cap on pipe.

Forget the oven, its un-neccessary for 75% of welders out their. I myself have been on one code job. Sure, hot 7018 strikes easier, burns more consistent and is essential for code work, how much code work will you do in your own garage?
    Lincoln Power MIG 210 MP ( boat anchor )
    Lincoln Weld-Pac 100 HD
    Hobart IronMan 230
    Cutmaster 42
    Jackson NexGen
    Sumner Ultra Clamps
    DWM120

Post Thanks / Like

My weave sucks...Got it.

Laid down a few stringers for you guys to rip on. They look better in person than the picture shows, but I know they're still nothing great or even good. They are better than what I was doing a week ago which looked like bird droppings. Well here's the picture, bring on the laughs.

Seriously though, I know I need many, many pounds of rods worth of practice, but the reason I'm posting my pictures on this site is because I know there are a lot of welders here that can offer up endless knowledge, and nobody here is afraid to tell me that my welds suck. So thank you for everyone that is being brutally honest and offering up advise on how I can improve my welding.

Settings: DCEP, 90-95A, 3/32" Hobart 7018, Flat on the table.
    Name:  7018 Stringers (800x600).jpg
Views: 901
Size:  84.8 KB
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

Your off to a good start considering you just started bud. Keep at it!
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man. I'm sure I will get it eventually so long as I strive to keep improving with every bead I run. I'm no stranger to welding, I'm fairly decent with TIG and MIG(Both on steel) as I've done quite a bit of welding with both. The last time I stick welded I was like 12 years old(14 years go) and it was with an old AC buzz box and I have no clue what type of rods I had. I figured since I got this new(to me) Airco that I should learn everything the machine is capable of doing(within reason). I been practicing on TIGing aluminum on AC and sticking with 7018. Once I get proficient with 7018, which will take a while I'm sure, what electrode should I try to master next? 6010? Those seem like the 2 most common electrodes people talk about on this site. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so after I get good with 7018 in all positions I would like to learn more. I understand that this could take quite a while before I am "good" so I only intend on learning one thing at a time then moving on once I am happy with my results.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

Good start, like Duane says too much "buckshot" spatter means your arc is too long, as stated. Try holding so close you almost stick the rod to see what too short is, your weld will appear cold and tall compared to the longer arc. Then find somewhere between. Remember its the ARC length, not the physical distance the rod is from the puddle. Focus on a particular aspect of the CLAMS components on each pass; you'll get a better feedback on each specific skill that way.

I agree stay with stringers. A good basic check is the bead with should be 2-3 times the rod thickness - the metal not including the flux. Work your heat and speed/puddle shape around that, and you'll start to recognize the difference in penetration and height.

Remember your workpiece is heating as you do multiple passes, so you may have to come down a 5-10 amps, or up your travel speed a bit, watching the puddle shape. If its too round, speed up, if it gets like a long oval, slow down. If the slag is doesn't come off pretty easy, probably too cold.

Best thing I ever did was take the Basic and then Advanced welding courses at my local VOTEC. I took the Advanced again just for tune up instruction on my technique, more shop time, and started to learn the basics of TIG. I'm planning on taking it again sometime in the next year.

The Basic was a Stick-Only course more for understanding the basics of the weldment, not just the process used. I also got to try several different machines: I prefer the Lincoln Idealarc (400 I think) with the handwheel and pointer for the current over the digital ones. It forced me to adjust my current more on feel for the weld itself, while some of the other guys using the digital seemed focused on the specific amperage value.

They started us on 6010 which is much harder to strike, but the stop and go motion and relatively slow speed, and the really obvious change in arc sound vs length really force you to focus and concentrate: be IN the puddle. I love 6010. The slag is always stubborn at any temperature though.

You'll need the 6010 for any time there is a gap as well. The few projects i've built are from scavenged 1/8" bed frame angle, sometimes you get a gap on fit-up unless you shape the spots where an end meets the inside of the angle, since it is not completely flat inside the L. The high penetration is preferred when you can't weld the back side of the work (not on this 1/8" bed frame), and it's what you need on root passes with a gap.

You'll learn more about evaluating the quality of a weld. I can make some decent welds. I'm not saying I'm a pro, I'm not saying they're always pretty, but I know whether they're basically weldments with good penetration and fusion, or not. My vertical up is iffy, and my overhead is trash.

ARC ON!
    Last edited by jtcnj; 08-26-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 and WP17. 75A AC is for pipe thawing!
    HH 140 - new addtion 9/2012.

I didn't agree, but hoped for Hope and Change.
    I got change for myself and my family: for the worse.
    This is the reality of: Barackalypse Now. Again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking of taking the 2 welding courses my local votec offers in the evenings. Last time I checked they were around 350-400 dollars per course and it's the same course they teach to the juniors and seniors that take the welding classes in high school and an old friend of mine said he really learned a lot when he took them. The first course is entirely stick welding and basic metallurgy. If I can't get the results I'm looking for by practicing on my own then I'll probably just save some money from my paychecks and find the time to take the courses. I know it surely couldn't hurt. Thanks again everyone!
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

If you are really worried about damp rods get an old refrigerator that dont work amymore and mount 2 100 watt light bulbs in it we did that for years had it outside in the barn. Lots more money smart for what you need to do.

Your welds dont look too shabby for just starting out...practice the stringers first before you play with weaving stuff and keep a tight arc with that 7018

Ooops I just realized this was from back in 2012...sorry
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 08-24-2021 at 09:19 PM.

26. Likes jay gill, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Some pics would help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    If you are really worried about damp rods get an old refrigerator that dont work amymore and mount 2 100 watt light bulbs in it we did that for years had it outside in the barn. Lots more money smart for what you need to do.

Your welds dont look too shabby for just starting out...practice the stringers first before you play with weaving stuff and keep a tight arc with that 7018

Man... you got me reading this old thread lol. I was just about to mention when he has his heat set optimally and his travel speed is dialed in that the slag usually will peel itself from the bead with minimal slag removal required. Moot point this late in the game
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist