+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 70+ 8010 rod

Post Thanks / Like

70+ 8010 rod

When i weld with the 70+8010 rod on pipe it welds fin from the 12o'clock to the 3 o'clock
    But from the 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock i have trouble getting it to build up a puddle? What am i doing wrong here? Im using a 5/32 size rod if that makes a difference i also have excessive buck shot all over the pipe?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 70+ 8010 rod

Oh and im running them down hill

Post Thanks / Like

You have to drop your heat down a lil bit. Also rod angle and arc lengthhave a lot to do with it also. What machine are you running.

Post Thanks / Like

Im running a 76 black face sa200 with fairly new copper whindings i just replaced in it

Post Thanks / Like

Keep your rod at 90 degrees to your work so the arc force pushes the molten metal into the weld, also keep the arc short and stick that rod into the puddle. Keep your amps hot enough so the rod won't stick. Learn how to weld going up you will get a better weld. The buck shot is from long arcing the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

as mentioned above. flat rod angle, long arc length and high amps are the typical culprits to buckshot. i would adjust one at a time till I figured out what was the cause. it can be maddening if you try and change too many variables at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys turned it down a little bit and kept my anlge at 90 to the pipe and it helped alot just need more time under the hood to get comfortable laying down under the pipe now!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why downhand?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bastard View Post
    Why downhand?
    did you mean downhill..? sounds like the teacher is a pipeliner..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weldbead View Post
    did you mean downhill..? sounds like the teacher is a pipeliner..
    No I meant downhand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bastard View Post
    Why downhand?
    Why not? And its downhill if you don't want to sound like a know it all God's gift to welding. Many company's are using downhill in there procedure whether it be API or asme b31.3. Downhill is used mostly for speed and cost. IMHO it is a must as a pipe welder to master downhill,uphill,mig,tig (alloys & carbon) and torch skills as well. To limit your abilities just because you consider it (downhand) to be obsolete or inferior is narrow minded and arrogant. See the picture in the avatar,that's me DOWNHILLING.
    Last edited by slim83; 08-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slim83 View Post
    Why not? And its downhill if you don't want to sound like a know it all God's gift to welding. Many company's are using downhill in there procedure whether it be API or asme b31.3. Downhill is used mostly for speed and cost. IMHO it is a must as a pipe welder to master downhill,uphill,mig,tig (alloys & carbon) and torch skills as well. To limit your abilities just because you consider it (downhand) to be obsolete or inferior is narrow minded and arrogant. See the picture in the avatar,that's me DOWNHILLING.
    Wow can you put any more words into my mouth? Your assumptions are arrogant ignorant and insulting.

I ask a simple question and get this sh!t.

You still didn't answer the question except to be insulting and arrogant.

Down Hand shows up in D1.1 (2008) once in section 7, Down hill shows up NEVER.

I'm sorry if my slang offends you. NOT. lol

So are you one of the know it all's that call a high pressure cylinder a tank?

Post Thanks / Like

two welders goin at it again. Lol. Why downhill? Hes probably trying to jump on the pipeline bandwagon. Several booms going on now as you may know.

Post Thanks / Like

Double post
    Last edited by slim83; 08-29-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Fat bastard you are right. I did just put words in your mouth. Also got alot of respect for you. And yes I'm an arrogant,know it all,egotistical,insulting jerk. And usually I call them cylinders and sometimes bottles. Lol. Oh well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slim83 View Post
    Lol. Fat bastard you are right. I did just put words in your mouth. Also got alot of respect for you. And yes I'm an arrogant,know it all,egotistical,insulting jerk. And usually I call them cylinders and sometimes bottles. Lol. Oh well
    No problem here Slim. It takes an arrogant arse to know one LOL

I have never heard it called anything but downhand or vertical up/down.

In the end I was just wondering why down as apposed to up. If the WPS says down I weld it down. I'm just a fat dumb old welder not an engineer.

Post Thanks / Like

Just trying to pursue a dream iv always had as a little kid. I worked as a helper on pipeline for a year till the welder got ran off. Didnt learn much other the. How to roll stuff up nice and run a matabo good. Lol iv worked hard for everything i have all my tools are in my name my truck is in my name and thats pretty good for a 19 year old kid to have. I think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hbadge93 View Post
    Just trying to pursue a dream iv always had as a little kid. I worked as a helper on pipeline for a year till the welder got ran off. Didnt learn much other the. How to roll stuff up nice and run a matabo good. Lol iv worked hard for everything i have all my tools are in my name my truck is in my name and thats pretty good for a 19 year old kid to have. I think
    You are a smart kid. don't go into dept for your welding equipment. I own all my equipment and I don't have any dept. I started buying equipment when I was 20 and as jobs came along I bought more equipment with cash. I worked two jobs to live on and did welding on weekends to pay for all my equipment. I am now 48 and don't owe anything to anyone, my house is payed for along with everything in my shop. Be smart, everyone I've seen in the last 10 years don't want to work to buy their equipment they want it NOW so they go to the bank. I have seen many welding shops go down the ****ter because they can't pay the bank. I know a young kid not much older than you that is about to loose his house because he took out a second mortgage to set up his shop and can't pay the bank. The biggest piece of advice I can give a young guy like you is don't go into dept. Work hard and buy your stuff with cash. Good luck and work hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kctgb View Post
    You are a smart kid. don't go into dept for your welding equipment. I own all my equipment and I don't have any dept. I started buying equipment when I was 20 and as jobs came along I bought more equipment with cash. I worked two jobs to live on and did welding on weekends to pay for all my equipment. I am now 48 and don't owe anything to anyone, my house is payed for along with everything in my shop. Be smart, everyone I've seen in the last 10 years don't want to work to buy their equipment they want it NOW so they go to the bank. I have seen many welding shops go down the ****ter because they can't pay the bank. I know a young kid not much older than you that is about to loose his house because he took out a second mortgage to set up his shop and can't pay the bank. The biggest piece of advice I can give a young guy like you is don't go into dept. Work hard and buy your stuff with cash. Good luck and work hard.
    Thanks iv been rough necking the last 10 months in north dakota just stock piling cash and now that i got a chance to come back to texas and work its time to hopefully get career going

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hbadge93 View Post
    Thanks iv been rough necking the last 10 months in north dakota just stock piling cash and now that i got a chance to come back to texas and work its time to hopefully get career going
    Work hard keep your nose to the grind stone, don't use drugs and don't drink away the money you make and when you're my age things will be good. If you do what I say, before you know it you will own your own shop lock stock and barrel. Have fun and good luck.
    Don't forget to find a good woman and have a couple kids.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist