+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AIrco HeliWelder IV

Post Thanks / Like

AIrco HeliWelder IV

Anyone out there no where I can find the manual for a AIrco HeliWelder IV? I cant find one anywhere. Mainly I just need the electrical schematics, but the manual would be nice. I've tried arcproducts and they could not find any info on this machine.

AIrco HeliWelder IV
    serial# MH112099
    stock# 341-0176
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    POWER MIGŪ 180 Dual MIG Welder
    Airco Heli-Welder IV

Home, PA (Yes, that's the name of the town.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AIrco HeliWelder IV

Hey. I can't help you with a manual as I couldn't find one either. Yours though has more knobs than mine. Could you tell me what the the three knobs and switch on the far left and the knob on the very far right are for?
    Brad George

Current Equipment:
    AIRCO Heliwelder IV 300Amp Model - Total Awesomeness!
    Old 120v Hobart Handler MIG
    Various grinders, cutting tools, hammers, clamps, ect...
    "I'm an amateur welder with lots left to learn..."

Post Thanks / Like

Optional pulse control.

I did come across a pdf of accessories. It has some diagrams but doesn't have the main machine diagram.

Its on my dropbox account if you want it here's the link.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77734592/Hel...00043-0068.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Airco Heli-Welder IV

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I figured it was. What is the knob on the far right of the machine above the HF selector switch?

EDIT: Just read your PDF its the pre-flow knob. I've had the top off my machine to see how dirty it was inside and it has all the wiring for the spot timer, the pre-flow and they're associated relays. It also has a plug inside to plug the pulser module into it. I might add the pre-flow knob to my machine. I don't really have a need for a spot timer. Also your PDF manual says the foot pedal has a 10K POT in it but when I restored my pedal my old POT measured 25K so that's what I replaced it with and all works fine. I'm on my tablet right now but when I get home I'll download and save that PDF. Thank you for that as I haven't been able to find any info on this welder at all since I bought it.
    Last edited by blasphemy000; 09-09-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like
    Take the cover off and look for other branding/labeling on internal parts. Miller made a lot of the Airco stuff...
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Airco HeliWelder IV

The knob on the far right is purge (post or pre flow), one was standard the other was an option. I have both. The hole that is between the two purge knobs is for an optional spot weld timer. Any of these can be added, the relay bases are all-ready installed they are just jumpered out, all you need is the timing relay, the pot and a few wires.

Miller made the Heli-Welders prior to this model or Airco made them for miller not sure which, but miller still has the manuals prior to this model.

ESAB bought the rights to this machine and all the later variants but they no longer have support or manuals for these old machines. ESAB directed me to arc-products out of California as they sold the rights of the airco/heliwelder to them but they have since focused more on the automated welding and the repair/service side has fallen off.
    Airco Heli-Welder IV

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, all the wiring is there in my machine, I'm going to get a relay and knob and wire up the pre-flow control, I have no use for a spot timer and I have no idea where I could find a used pulse module for it, but I can definitely use a second or so of pre-flow. =)
    Thanks for the manual brother.

Edit: Wow...Timing relays are expensive. I think this whole pre-flow thing can wait a while. =)
    Last edited by blasphemy000; 09-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

not a problem... I am at some point going to pull the two PC boards out (the main driver and the pulse board) and draw them out so if I need to rebuild or repair them in the future I can. I repair welders for a living and most of the transformer machines don't really have pcb issues but I am constantly repairing inverter machines circuit boards. Thats the main reason I was looking for schematics or manuals.

Finally got to weld some aluminum today with the old machine, I have tested and repaired probably every modern inverter from miller, and esab and can say with the exception of the size/weight of this machine you cant beat these old school transformer machines. If its a weldable metal and you cant weld it with this machine than you cant weld...period.
    Airco Heli-Welder IV

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree. My machine doesn't have pulse, spot timer, or even preflow, but I can weld just fine with it, I love the old beast. I mean sure, it requires a 100A circuit breaker, but the arc is smooth as butter and I just love the way it welds. Awesome machine for sure. It's also my first real TIG machine and I'm having an easy time learning aluminum with it.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkchrycamaro View Post
    not a problem... I am at some point going to pull the two PC boards out (the main driver and the pulse board) and draw them out so if I need to rebuild or repair them in the future I can. I repair welders for a living and most of the transformer machines don't really have pcb issues but I am constantly repairing inverter machines circuit boards. Thats the main reason I was looking for schematics or manuals.

Finally got to weld some aluminum today with the old machine, I have tested and repaired probably every modern inverter from miller, and esab and can say with the exception of the size/weight of this machine you cant beat these old school transformer machines. If its a weldable metal and you cant weld it with this machine than you cant weld...period.
    Yep you are right on the money in regards to these old transformers... Mig or Tig or Stick. Loved the way the old ESAB Migmaster 250's laid down the butter smooth bead. really have not had a chance to play with my Lincoln SP250 yet but hoping it lays down an equally nice bead.

Can sum up the transformers in one word Zapster...
    Oh and stop giving out out secrets. then everyone will be wanting a transformer machine and the prices will go up on all the used stuff
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

The only time i have used pulse is when I cant use the remote pedal do to an odd welding position. 99.9% of the time I am in peak mode using the foot pedal. I am at some point going to make a thumb control for times when the foot pedal isn't practical.

I just finished laying down some decent looking beads on some 1/4 aluminum. Up till today I've only played with steels and a little Ti. Once I cranked the heat up way passed what I was expecting everything clicked, cant believe that 3/32 ceriated tungsten took that much abuse but thats all I had to work with.

Its also nice to know that if you did manage to kill one of these beasts you can scrap out the copper for more than you paid for it.

Try that with an inverter

@blasphemy000 I might have a timing relay buried around the shop if you need one. I Know I have a large rubbermade bin full of relays and pots just got to dig threw it.
    Airco Heli-Welder IV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkchrycamaro View Post
    @blasphemy000 I might have a timing relay buried around the shop if you need one. I Know I have a large rubbermade bin full of relays and pots just got to dig threw it.
    That'd be cool. Let me know if you have one of the .1s-10s ones, that's what your PDF says I need to add the pre-flow. If you have one send me a PM with how much you want for it and I'm sure I can get it from you. Thanks in advance brother.

Also, do you know what the ohm rating on the Main current control POT and the Start Amps POT are? I'd like to replace them with new ones as mine turn almost 360* instead of 270*. Also, what years were this Airco Heliwelder IV machines made? I have no idea how old my machine even is, this is just for curiosity.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

The pc boards in my machine are dated 1986. I think the IV model started in 82 and was produced threw the late 80's. I know I have timing relays might not be .1-10 sec range but would still work also i'll check and see what the ohms and watts are on my start and weld current pots and let you know.
    Airco Heli-Welder IV

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks brother. Really appreciated.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

All the timing relays I could find where 24vdc, if I come across one ill shot you a pm. Ill pull the covers off this weekend and check thoes pot sizes for you.
    Airco Heli-Welder IV

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem. The timing relay in my welder for the post-flow is 24VAC so I would assume the pre-flow timer would be the same voltage. The wires for the pre-flow knob are all there and everything so adding it shouldn't be a problem. My post-flow relay says it's a "On-Operation" timing relay that goes from 0.6s(Dead short) to 60s(1.2MOhm) for the external resistor. Does the "On-Operation" part mean that it delays before it turns on, or that it delays before it turns off?
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

I just scanned in the heliwelder IV manuals. IF you want a copy send me your e-mail by private massage. The two manuals are about 8meg. To big to post here but should be able to e-mail with no problems. One thing to watch for on these old welders, is to keep them clean inside. Keep grinder dust far away. Just had a heliwelder 250 die. Because the reactor shorted out to the core and blew the control pcb. This was caused by metal grinding dust that got into the case and piled up on top of the mag amp reactor. Normal vibration caused the sharp dust to cut through the insulation on the magnet wire. And bag one of the lagrs caps on the pcb exploded and was found later in the bottom of the welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ccawgc, I had pretty much given up on finding the manuals. You rock.

If any one finds this thread looking for the manuals I uploaded them to my drop box account and you can download them here.

Manual- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77734592/heliwelder%204.pdf

Accessories- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77734592/hel...ccessories.pdf

Again thanks to ccawgc for the files.
    Airco Heli-Welder IV

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the manual uploads guys.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    I just scanned in the heliwelder IV manuals. IF you want a copy send me your e-mail by private massage. The two manuals are about 8meg. To big to post here but should be able to e-mail with no problems. One thing to watch for on these old welders, is to keep them clean inside. Keep grinder dust far away. Just had a heliwelder 250 die. Because the reactor shorted out to the core and blew the control pcb. This was caused by metal grinding dust that got into the case and piled up on top of the mag amp reactor. Normal vibration caused the sharp dust to cut through the insulation on the magnet wire. And bag one of the lagrs caps on the pcb exploded and was found later in the bottom of the welder.

Are these still available. the person who added dropbox links doesn't have them shared anymore

Post Thanks / Like

You might try a pm to ccawgc, he's still around and might not pick up on this thread. Blasphemy hasn't been here since 2015.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist