+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Handrail pricing

Post Thanks / Like

Handrail pricing

Hey, I started my side business fabricating trailers and repairing heavy equipment. When I graduated college I was certified in every welding process but my specialty was Tig. I already worked for my family construction company, so after college I just welded on the side. Now my business has grown in 6 months to welding every night. My newest job is welding aluminum hand rails for a air force base. It made a great excuse to buy a Tig so i couldn't resist. I have over 70 joints of 1.5"tubing to weld. I went and bought a AC/DC Tig because the spool gun was a little to large. My question is what would you guys get for a hourly wage for something like this? Any other tips or advice would be great. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Handrail pricing

If you are supplying all the wire, gas and other B.S. $50 min. but closer to $65 if the economy will tolerate it.

My 2cents

Post Thanks / Like

depends on where you are. If your directly selling them to the government be prepared to jump through a lot of hoops. pricing is just one bit of it. if your not a licensed business with a federal tax id number your going to be shut out.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Post Thanks / Like

You might update your user CP to let everybody know where you are, Northeast is a big place, narrow it down a bit and you might find a local willing to help you with a rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Also with government jobs and work for large corporations some times it takes a very long time to get paid and there is also alot of waiting for signatures and general bs that all needs to be factored into the cost of job. Good luck with you project!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'm located in central New York. I've been subbed in by another contractor and he is going to purchase them off me and install then, so it would be the same as buying them offline. That way I can do this without a federal tax id.

Post Thanks / Like

if you think that will work more power to you. personally i wouldnt take the risk. especially since its the military. after 9/11 they dont let the small details go un noticed.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualie View Post
    if you think that will work more power to you. personally i wouldnt take the risk. especially since its the military. after 9/11 they dont let the small details go un noticed.
    Agreed. I used to work for a company that supplied a lot of stuff to the military and there was a ton of paperwork to show where items originated from after 9/11. Most stuff had to have documentation that it was US made. We could get bags made by manufacturers whose products were mostly manufactured overseas for 1/4 what it cost to get the same bags made here. The military didn't care. If you couldn't provide the proper documentation to go with the product, it was "no sale". One of the big sticking points were zippers. There was no US manufacturer for the zippers they wanted attached to the bags. It was cheaper to get someone to start up limited production here with all the associated hassles and background paperwork, than to get clearance to use stock zippers made in Europe.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I would bill the consumables with a 30% markup and then $50 an hour. That should be fare. I know you will have to estimate the amount of gas, but after a few tanks you can get a feel for how many hours you get out of a tank. In my experiance, people will pay more if they see what they are paying for.
    Miller 180,Esab 300I TIG Lincoln Stick [1950's} Victor Torches, Dewalt chop saw, Enco 9x48 Mill, 48x60 home shop with Gantry crane and Pit.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist