Thread: John , from NY. Hello everyone

Post Thanks / Like

John , from NY. Hello everyone

My name is John, I have been in the recycling industry for a few years now. I am totally new to welding and have never really welded before. I am looking forward to learning a lot here on WW. I just purchased (from a friend for a really good price) a lincoln weld pak 180hd mig wire feed welder. 230v power

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...roduct=K2515-1

I am excited to start using it, but dont have much knowledge on welders/types of welding, only the basics.

MIG vs Arc? wire feed? which gas to use? HELP!

I am familiar with safety because of always using an acetylene cutting torch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: John , from NY. Hello everyone

Hey John,

Welcome aboard...there is a ton of great Info on here and GREAT people that are really willing to help and answer any questions you have and give you support on the projects you post.

I too am from Nassau County, welding and metal fabrication are a side business (I actually do make a little money ) for me as I am an Architect the rest of the time.

But please let me know if you need anything ie. help setting up your welder or anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalArchitect View Post
    Hey John,

Welcome aboard...there is a ton of great Info on here and GREAT people that are really willing to help and answer any questions you have and give you support on the projects you post.

I too am from Nassau County, welding and metal fabrication are a side business (I actually do make a little money ) for me as I am an Architect the rest of the time.

But please let me know if you need anything ie. help setting up your welder or anything else.
    i definitely need help setting up the welder. i am not sure what type of wire/size, tips, etc. to buy or which gas to purchase. i basically dont know anything, i need help

Post Thanks / Like

I would lurk around here a while and read up on a lot of post and use the search function to your advantage.

It will all depend on what you will be welding. You will have to see what the welder is setup or in the way of wire size probably .030 - .035. a Argon CO2 mix (75/25) will be your best all around gas for mild steel. You can also get a flux core wire and weld without the gas for now to get you started. You will have to look in the side of the machine and make sure the gun and ground are connected in the correct spots (there will be instructions and maybe even a pretty picture letting you know which is correct for use with and with out gas)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello guys .My name is Magee from lose Angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, from Steilacoom, WA.
    -Aaron
    Jet 17.5" Drill Press
    1942 South Bend 16x84 Lathe
    1980s Miller 320A / BP --- 2013 Power Mig 256
    2012 Jet 7x12 Horizontal Bandsaw
    Victor O/A Setup

Post Thanks / Like

howdy bud! From Queens!