+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid-States TriArc 160 (MST 160)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mid-States TriArc 160 (MST 160)

Josh, The schematic was sent. I assume you got it.

Post Thanks / Like

yes i did thank you. i was working on it today, its a grounding issue so now im just trying to find where im having a bad connection. as for the contact tips i just use any tip really, i have used lincoln and other tips. my whip though is not a original one its a magnum 400. i havent had an issue with drive rolls i have the originals and i flip flop them for .030 or .035

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JC_cruiser View Post
    hi everyone i purchased a airco dip/stick 160 about a year ago has ran awesome and built two trucks with it. Just recently my wire feed motor stoped working, i replaced the 10amp fuse and the contact relay but the motor still isnt turning. I looked up the wiring diagram and manual on esab but i cannot make the image big enough with any clarity to read. is there anyone who can give me some assitance, if so it would be very appriciated. thanks josh
    The motor is probably a DC unit with brushes. The brushes do eventually wear out so if the commutator is good, all you might need to do is to replace those brushes. I always check everything else if I take something apart, meaning here the bearings, wire insulation and anything else you notice.

Probably best to first check to see that power is going to the motor; do you have a meter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    The motor is probably a DC unit with brushes. The brushes do eventually wear out so if the commutator is good, all you might need to do is to replace those brushes. I always check everything else if I take something apart, meaning here the bearings, wire insulation and anything else you notice.

Probably best to first check to see that power is going to the motor; do you have a meter?
    i have power to the motor i replaced the relay that was in there in hopes that was bad still didnt have a ground but if i ground the motor to a common ground it turns so my plans are to run a new ground to the chassis of the welder and see if that works tommorow. i hooked the motor ground up to the common ground for welding and it spun, and the potentio]meter still adjusted ipm so we'll see. i will let you all know how it goes tommorow. if all goes well my eng mounts on my truck will be welded also

Post Thanks / Like

i got my welder up and running again, its good to hear the crackling of wire again

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who haven't found it, here's a link to the Airco manual:

http://esabna.com/literature/Arc%20E..._ADI-1734F.pdf

I'd love to see a nicer schematic; as someone mentioned, the one in the manual is extremely hard to see (it's a scan).

Now here's a question. In the manual, it says there are a variety of input voltage wiring options. For single phase 230 VAC (which is what I have) it says you have to have a 90 A breaker. My jaw dropped! I only have 60 A for the entire garage. A new Miller that can weld about the same thickness is rated for 30 A. Am I misunderstanding something? What kind of service do you guys who have one of these running have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pelesl View Post
    For single phase 230 VAC (which is what I have) it says you have to have a 90 A breaker.
    Nobody can confirm what the power requirement is?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have been away and just checked the most recent posts. I saw the same thing in the manual about the 90amps. I think they are being VERY conservative, because I am running mine on a 50 amp circuit with no problems or tripping. The factory power cord is only #8 which is good for about 40 amps continuous. The wiring inside the unit to the power switch is also only #8. The only reason I can think of is that as most guys know, the longer you run the circuit, the more voltage drop you will have and therefore the thicker wire you need to use to get the right amount of power to the end of a long run. If you are staying within 30' of a breaker box you should be fine with a 50 amp ckt. If you need to go a long distance, consider #6.

Anyone who needs a clear schematic on this let me know at jwmartin100@yahoo.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pelesl, do you still want that clearer schematic for the dipstick? Send me an email address.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 1 also and just found a site to down load a manual here is the site http://esabna.com/literature/Arc%20E...0_ADI-1734F.pd

Post Thanks / Like

it is 40 pages

Post Thanks / Like

A little history lesson. I asked a contact at ESAB If he knew anything about where mid-states went. The story is at first they were a welder manufacture co. Airco was having them build some of their welders. Airco like them so much they bought them. Then a few years later ESAB bought Airco. Some of the Airco people are still working a few desks over from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Just recently aquired a Tri Arc 160 Really need a manual also or anything that give me a little information. Thanks in advance, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

see the link in post 31 and 35.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I saw it after I posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

I bought one of these, and it came with a Tig torch and Argon bottle, but that's about it (tig-related; it also has the Tweco Mig gun and stick holder). Can TIG (on, say, Aluminum) be done as is (no Ar flow control, no start / stop)? I plan to get a High Freq control unit eventually that will allow for foot pedals, etc, but until then can I mess around with it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by WeenerDog; 07-09-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

been a while since I saw one. But I think they are DC weld output only.
    Aluminum needs AC weld current. So unless the welder has an AC weld terminal, then It will not do aluminum.
    Will do steel right now with a scratch start.
    Just went and looked at the manual. It says AC and DC tig.
    So look around the process switch and see if your welder has both AC and DC output.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply! There are indeed different settings for Mig (Low/High), Stick (DCSP, DCRP), and Tig (DCSP and AC). The manual mentions an "Optional High-Frequency Arc Stabilizer", but seems to indicate that it can be run without it?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, update. Got a tig torch connected, and DC works great on steel (scratch start on copper). Switched to AC, and I was unable to get it to scratch start, so that "HF Stabilizer option" might be a requirement for Aluminum.

Bad news: as I turned up the amperage, I think it stopped going up around 100 amps. Probably a stripped lead screw, so I'll start tearing into it tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, took a look inside. Lead screw is fine, the amperage 'gauge' is just a plastic strip pulled by the shunt as it moves in / out of the transformer. The other end is attached to a spring, which, in my case, was not connected to the correct point, so it stopped moving at 100 Amps. So, I blew out the dust, lubed the leadscrew (1/2" Acme?), and reseated some of the larger connections to insure good contact. Good to go!

I might get some pure Tungsten electrodes and (after a decent flowmeter arrives) make another attempt at AC / Aluminum...

Post Thanks / Like

hi
    newbie here...i just bought a mst160 today

mine looks a bit diferant that the other pic posted....has this extra box on top..

still need to get it home and see what its missing....
    looks like a regulater was taken off with the tank and there are a couple of tig guns??
    there is a clear hose coming out the back , but there is also this green hose hanging off the front
    came with 3 big spools of differant wires though...claims dad had a working hobby machine but sat past 3 years

i'm more of a mig guy myself..want to learn the tig.

how is this machine? pretty dependable once up and running?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

looks like you got the arc stabilizer (HF) box for AC tig setting on top of your welder.
    There are a lot of these welders still out there running every day. They are an older design and some parts are hard to get. But call ESAB and see whats left.

Post Thanks / Like

howdy..
    I have the TriArc 160 and the wire feeding has stopped working. the feed motor is ok. I had a guy test it.. the relay was burned.
    I am looking for wiring diagrams or schematics ..
    the link listed in messages 31 and 35 leads nowhere..

Does anybody still have the PDF file?
    And would be willing to email it too me?

Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist