Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to plug 110v 20A plug into 110v 15A outlet

Post Thanks / Like

Need to plug 110v 20A plug into 110v 15A outlet

One of my MIGs is a 110 unit, convenient for having power available pretty much anywhere. However, it uses a 20A plug, with one of the blades sideways.

Some of the outlets around here are 20A - including some ungrounded ones in my bedroom - but plenty aren't, and I'd also like to be able to run an extension cord when needed.

I like to be able to do some exhaust work out in the driveway, the truck won't fit into the garage without letting ALL the air out of the tires. I have a 50' 12ga power cord, should be more than adequate to run the welder - and for anything serious, I'll tack it in place and then bring it inside to weld with the bigger welder.

So, is there anywhere I can buy an adapter that lets me plug a 20A plug into a 15A outlet for a reasonable price, or am I pretty much stuck building one myself?
    Lincoln 175HD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to plug 110v 20A plug into 110v 15A outlet

i have never seen one probably because most tools/appliances that have a 20A plug require 20A and if converted to a 15A plug could be dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

If you plug a 20 amp appliance into a 15 amp receptacle, aren't you going to overload the receptacle, with resultant fire risk? I mean, they don't make them with different prongs just to annoy you.

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a good 12ga extension cord and change the ends to match what you need a good 25 ft cord should get you welder far enough outside to do your exhaust work. I have seen those plugs on a lot of large copier machines.
    Will Supports Autism Awareness
    My Toys
    BobCat 225 PLus
    Millermatic 130
    Miller Spectrum 300 Cutmate
    Everlast Power Tig 185 Micro

April is Autism Month .

Post Thanks / Like

Stotard, First check the amp requirement of your piece of equipment, if its requirment is 15 or less amps, then you would be OK to use it in an 15 amp receptical. However, if the manufacturer has installed a 20 amp plug on this equipment, then they want it plugged into a 20 amp circuit, meaning this circuit requires # 12 wire and backed up with a 20 amp circuit breaker. You could check the circuit that you would like to use (convenient location to your driveway) and see if the receptical in question has a 20 amp circuit breaker feeding it. If so open the distribution panel and confirm that this circuit is wired with #12 wire. If so, you can change the receptical in question with an 20 amp receptacle and all will go well. The other alternative is to have a licensed electrician install a circuit out near where you will be working. I do not recommend cutting the plug. Just by thoughts. Best Bob

Post Thanks / Like

It calls for 25A on it, even though it only has a 20A plug on it. I've never used it on a real 25A circuit, nor have I tripped a breaker.

When I do exhaust work, it would be convenient to take my 110 unit out into the driveway to tack it on the truck, and then pull it off and finish with my 220 unit. I'm not pushing the 110 unit anywhere near what it can do.

I have a 12ga 50' extension cord sitting around, I might just chop the end off it and put on a 20A plug.
    Lincoln 175HD

Post Thanks / Like

Never saw one to buy; I just made my own short 1 foot cable. The female 20 amp yellow plastic cable sockets are sold at Home Depot; pick up a standard 15 amp plug and away you go. Oh, you need some 12 gauge wire in between.
    Rick V

1 Airco Heliwelder 3A/DDR
    3 CTC 70/90 amp Stick/Tig Inverters in Parallel
    1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

Post Thanks / Like

Do some investigative work. My shop has all 15 amp outlets even though the wire is 12 gauge on 20 amp breakers. If your breaker is properly size and the wire is ok then you can get an adapter or change the plug. If the breaker is 15 amp... you may trip it on max power or near the duty cycle.

You can get an adapter for $5 from HD.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1DKEdYD5dUVDow
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I must have searched for the wrong term. I guess I'll pick up one of those.
    Lincoln 175HD

Post Thanks / Like

Yep forhire, Home Depot USA has it. Home Depot Canada - Nope! RATS!
    Rick V

1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick V View Post
    Yep forhire, Home Depot USA has it. Home Depot Canada - Nope! RATS!
    And the headline reads, "Ottawa man arrested on charges of smuggling electrical adapters in from the US."

Papa
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papaharley03 View Post
    And the headline reads, "Ottawa man arrested on charges of smuggling electrical adapters in from the US."

Papa
    When the man at the border asks do you have anything to declare say "nope"and if he asks about the plugs say "all those been there"
    Will Supports Autism Awareness
    My Toys
    BobCat 225 PLus
    Millermatic 130
    Miller Spectrum 300 Cutmate
    Everlast Power Tig 185 Micro

April is Autism Month .

Post Thanks / Like

Border Patrol agents noticed that everyday, this guy pushed a wheelbarrow full of dirt across the border. He looked innocent enough, so they didn't question it at first. After quite a few days, the agents got suspicious that maybe he was smuggling something in the dirt. On the last trip, they asked him to dump his dirt load and they went through it thoroughly and didn't find anything. Exasperated, they just knew he was smuggling something but couldn't figure it out. Giving in, the agents told the guy they knew he was smuggling something and would he please tell them just what it was he was doing?

"Smuggling wheelbarrows", he answered.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, if I really wanted one of those, I'd get one of you to mail it to me marked "Gift".
    Rick V

1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason I can't get Home Depot's web site to work well for ordering that adapter. When I went in, they told me I had to do it online.
    Lincoln 175HD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slotard View Post
    For some reason I can't get Home Depot's web site to work well for ordering that adapter. When I went in, they told me I had to do it online.
    I was able to add it to my cart and make it to the checkout without issue. Maybe your browser is having issues?

RIDGID 20 Amp T-Blade Adapter
    Model # 612-TADAPT20R
    Internet # 202070815
    Store SKU # 685222

When you went in did you give them the store sku? I show one local HD has it in stock. Did you select your local store and check the local inventory?

Post Thanks / Like

local store doesn't have one, sadly. when i asked if they could order it they said I should just do so online :wtf:
    Lincoln 175HD

Post Thanks / Like

?????
    Name:  Catch 22-1.jpg
Views: 7157
Size:  34.1 KB
    Rick V

1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slotard View Post
    My HD will order "mail-order only" items for me. Talk to their customer service or the manager.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just replace the 20amp connector on the machine's power cord to a 5-15P.

The 5-20 that is on there doesn't offer anymore protection from over heating- they are identical 'cept the one Horizontal blade. The welder is not a continuous duty tool so I doubt you'll ever over heat the wiring either- if you draw more than 15amps then the CB will open.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ed. Cut that stupid plug off and get a good heavy duty replacement with parallel blades. If the wiring to the outlet is done correctly the worst thing that might happen is a tripped breaker.
    Ian Tanner

Kawasaki KX450 and many other fine tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    I agree with Ed. Cut that stupid plug off and get a good heavy duty replacement with parallel blades. If the wiring to the outlet is done correctly the worst thing that might happen is a tripped breaker.
    Yup. 2x agree. Those 20A outlets arn't very common. If you trip the breaker often you better stick to 20A circuit only.
    Everlast PowerTIG 185

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArcForce View Post
    Yup. 2x agree. Those 20A outlets arn't very common. If you trip the breaker often you better stick to 20A circuit only.
    You can get the 20 outlets easy enough. While the outlets are uncommon... it's very common to wire with 12 gauge and 20 amp breakers... even when all the outlets are 15 amp style. My shop is full of 15 amp style outlets on 12 gauge wire and 20 amp breakers. All inspected.

As far as the adapter being a fire danger... not in and of itself... the prongs are the same 15 amp and 20 amp... aside from the origination.

If your breaker is 20 amp... then I'd assume the wire is 12 gauge... then simply change the outlet. Not sure... have an electrician wire you up the correct outlet.
    http://www.homedepot.com/buy/leviton...l#.UKYNwIY_nKd

Too bad you couldn't get the adapter locally. Is your breaker 15 or 20 amp?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

One related issue not brought up yet in this thread: 120V welders are very sensitive to having adequate input voltage and do not weld very well on long extension cords.

My solution to this problem would be 25' of 10-3 with a 15A plug on one end and a 20A connector on the other. You can get all 3 parts at HD.

John
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

Post Thanks / Like

i was thinking the same thing as forhire, if your wiring will allow a 20A plug, just change it. i actually have all 20A plugs in my garage and they have come in handy many times.