+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Tools That Suck

Post Thanks / Like

HF Tools That Suck

Lots of comments on the HF Tools That Don't Suck thread. In fact, I've posted quite a few comments.

However, I see the need for a thead with tools to avoid.

I'll start with this: # 35121 36 piece 1/4" Steel Stamping Set. This is a lettering set used to 'write' on metal. The problem is that the tools are soft. I was trying to stamp some info on some non-hardened steel and the nice, sharp letters flattened after one or two uses.

It comes with a lifetime warranty, for whatever that's worth...
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF Tools That Suck

Oh, yea, forgot to include the #94029 1 HP Mini Dust Colllector. This thing is very noisy. The impeller is plastic and doesn't seem to be balanced very well. The vibration makes it walk all over the place.

I ended up giving this one away and replacing it with a #31810 Dust Collector. This unit runs quietly, and it has a metal impeller. It doesn't shake like the # 94029 does.

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Post Thanks / Like

10$ tap and die set. How many ways can we spell JUNK!!!!!
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesalem Tool Mill-Drill

Post Thanks / Like

1/2" 'central pneumatic' impact wrench. Wouldn't loosen my lugnuts which had been torqued on by hand. A total piece of crap if you ask me.

- John

Post Thanks / Like

The 14" chopsaw blades suck. I picked one up on sale, and i see why. They are not truly round, causing the chopsaw to vibrate uncontrollably.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Handler 140
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
    E-Z Tube Bender
    Plasma Cam DHC2

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started....

For the most part, you get what you pay for.
    Hobart 140 Handler w/ gas
    HyperTherm Powermax 380 Plasma
    oxy/acetylene

Post Thanks / Like

If you do happen to buy HF tools atleast stick with name brand consumables. especially with something like a grinding disk or chop saw blade or any iof the sort as these products usually wear very fast and are not as accurate as most name brand stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

If possible would you please include a part number in your future posts since for some items they have 2 or 3 different items that could fit the description plus old and new models of the same tool. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the High Speed Pneumatic body saw. It functions great but the blades are like a butter knife.

Anyone know where I could get a good quality blade to fit this saw?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=113

Post Thanks / Like

wow... we dont have HF junk but have ACEHARDWARE chinese stuff and its almost make me brain dead...
    Unit in my fab shop dept:
    my good hand and team that trust me...

A lone welder make art... a village full of welder make Miracles...

Post Thanks / Like

You get what you pay for I guess.. I bought a Air Disc Cutter.. It wouldnt cut a plastic tote $10.00 and a waste of 3 weeks of shipment Oh well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ltklein View Post
    I bought the High Speed Pneumatic body saw. It functions great but the blades are like a butter knife.

Anyone know where I could get a good quality blade to fit this saw?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=113
    HF blades suck I use sawsall blades, just grind them till they fit hack saw blades would work also. Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure of the part number, but there's a large set of screwdrivers with semi clear orange plastic handles and a black grip that either break the tip or strip inside the handle with only moderate torque being applied.

Post Thanks / Like

32351 - diamond coated bits. Got them do drill a few small projects and won't even make it halfway through one hole. I got them to do what I wanted them to do, but it was frustrating. Tried drilling wet, dry, different RPMs on my drill press, still got nothing.

It's the only real loser item I've had from HF tools, although most of their stuff is definitely iffy for extended use, like their timing light (they only sell one that I'm aware of), and their hand stitching awl (it's a bit crude, but effective). The single speed jigsaw is also of dubious quality and their metal cutting jigsaw blades (I think I've tried all of them) don't work all that well with the single speed saw. Bosch blades work only marginally better though so I'm reserving judgment on the HF blades for when I get a metal job to do with one of my higher end jigsaws. Their wood blades seem to be acceptable for reasonably light hobby use.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried one of the blue Drill Master sanders. I try to stay away from el cheapo drill master but I think I paid $4.99 on sale. It was good for about 3 sheets of paper, then it suddenly quit. Waste of money ? Not this time, it worked long enough to finish the job. Made my money back on it, and it will make good landfill. I would not recommend spending much for it, its like a disposable razor.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40070
    Last edited by ramblerx15; 08-11-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nail puller. The metal is soft, and the puller is so thick, it's hard to get under any nails.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5247

I also concur that their tap and die sets suck.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I tried HF's 40 piece hose clamp assortment today, and what a joke! Half of them strip out before they even tighten down. O well, I guess you can't expect too much for $2.99, ha ha!

Post Thanks / Like

Bolt cutters 41149 are junk cutting bolts flattened out the jaws

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ahoron View Post
    Bolt cutters 41149 are junk cutting bolts flattened out the jaws
    thanks for that one! i had been waiting for them to come on sale but was weary of just that. now i know to stay away!

Post Thanks / Like

I got them with a coupon for $7.99 so I'm not to upset

Post Thanks / Like

is there any way to make a list or log that users can put the tools that suck or are good rather than read all the posts? just a sugestion..

Post Thanks / Like

The Butane Pencil Torch (item # 41169) sucks. At least it sucks for soldering. I've got a couple of Weller Pyropens that don't work very well anymore. I thought I'd try the Pencil Torch (with soldering tips) for a replacement. It lights & gets hot OK, the problem is that when you touch the tip to the work, it changes the valve setting and changes the heat output.

There is another version of this tool, item # 66050. I don't know if it suffers from the same problem or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a butane pencil torch that I inherited from my dad. I don't know where he got it from but it is pure junk. The flame only lasts for about 30 seconds until the gas runs out. I fill it up and try again, and the same thing all over, 30 seconds of flame and it goes out.

Post Thanks / Like

The $2 plastic and steel clamps, the first one broke and the second only gets a little tight then stops working. I warned a guy with a basket full of these clamps that they were useless and he said it's only $2. They really know how to push your buttons when you read the adds. You get what you pay for.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I bought their slide hammer and the first time I used it, it broke. The axle pulling attachment broke in two. The good news is that i've made several other attachments to fit on the end of the bar so it still is useable for me.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist