+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Spam Spam Spam Spam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spam Spam Spam Spam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it's 3:42am over here and I've been on/off this forum for the past few hours and it seems the spammers are at an all time high. I've reported at least 4 or 5 different ones and there are more still.

What if you made it so you can only register on this site between the hours of X and Y? Would probably cut down on a lot of it or at least try it.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Some websites allow this to happen in order to bump up user stats and membership, this site is severely infected with spambots which not only might be a danger to members who by mistake opens a link only for some trojan virus to download to there computer. this is normally see prior to selling or changing of ownership so i hope Welding web is not going down that route.

In the UK its 11am in the morning and most of you guys in the states are asleep, i see loads every time i log on, and its not the Mods fault as they can't be on 24/7

I guess we could go on reporting, i guess the mods could delete even more but i think the question on everyones mind is how long before something gets done, could we have a timeframe please, next month, next year? when its sold? will the new owners do something.

The Good thing about running a successful website is to keep on top of it and not be frightened, The reputation Welding web has earnt over the past few years is slowly being eaten away by these spammers and ultimately will be remembered as the site bought down by the spambots

Spam is one of the biggest drivers of malware proliferation over the past ten years, and no end is in sight. However, there is an overall maturation to the spambot ecosystem these days. We're seeing fewer new spambot families emerge, and only incremental changes in the existing spambot families. Development seems to proceed at a pace corresponding to the size of the botnet and the volume of spam sent by each.

Something needs to be done before this site gets out if control if spambots can infect the site remotely, just think how much malware and a sercuity risk spam presents to its users.

Take a read here, it'll open your eyes

http://www.secureworks.com/cyber-thr...bot-evolution/

As a Fellow Forum Owner, Welder and Friend PLEASE do something sooner rather than Later, it will get harder the longer you leave it.

Many moon ago, Over on Vbulletin.org i was a coder/designer (UKBusinesslive) and wrote several mods and pieces of coding for Vbulletin, I'd be more than happy to sort your spam issues for you completely Free of charge. Please let me help.
    Last edited by Gerry1964; 01-19-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gerry,

It's been reported and I'll add your comments to the reporting thread. But if you know the basics of forums, you know that the ban on posting HTML code bans most (I'm not going to say all, because no matter how clever security is -- and even basic vBulletin is very good -- there are very clever people that might exploit something) items such as viruses and malware. Running an anti-virus program will also protect against most of the drive by downloads, and don't allow any installations which much come from clicking on spam links (which you shouldn't do in the first place).

Most of the spam is irritating and posted to get even very temporary SEO link benefit from a top forum such as WeldingWeb.

Saying "You're gonna get a virus" from being here is coming close to fearmongering and not helpful in any way. If you really feel that way, I sure hope you let google know, because spam links in their database spread more viruses than anyone else.

As a forum owner you know that spam, like death and taxes, is something we all face. And you should also know there is no "one time always solution" to it. Unless someone has a new point to make, can we let this thread go away for a while? Thank.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a mod that limits users for X amount of days to an introduction forum.
    Say you get 2 or 3 day probation on the introduction forum for posting and limit to 1 post an hour or 5 posts a day. 1 thread a day for those 2 or 3 days. And read only access to the rest of the forum for that probation period.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Gamble,

A large portion of the spammers actually join a week or more before their attack starts.

I've forwarded the thread to our tech team.

I also changed the anti-spam questions again and added a few common IP ranges to the ban list, for what that might be worth.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

I have clicked on spammers username to find all the posts and my anti virus sends me warnings about this and that just by going to the NAME...NOT the post itself..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Spam Spam Spam Spam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see it a lot over at the miller forum where a person joins and asks a great question then a week later they edit it and post spam. Now they are adding profiles and adding the spam to the bottom. Easy enough to get rid of it just takes time. One forum i mod was getting about 500 spams a day...Bob
    Bob Wright
    Salem, Ohio Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
    1999 Miller MM185 w/ Miller 185 Spoolmate spoolgun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    I have clicked on spammers username to find all the posts and my anti virus sends me warnings about this and that just by going to the NAME...NOT the post itself..

...zap!
    The user name is pretty much the file name of the malware or trojan thats why anti virus are picking on it, they don't want to flog you ugg boots but pretty much want your bank details and anything else financial they can get via your PC, All it takes is an accidental click on a link.

This is the way they work nowdays, its not scaremongering but fact, just make sure your Antiviruses are upto date and if your paid one has run out theres a load of free ones just as good.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are also actual human spammers who are paid to post stuff for pay so the antispambot controls fail...they can do the image verification and security question type stuff easily.

Very very annoying.
    Hobart Stickmate LX235AC/160DC
    Ranger 305G
    Victor 315 O/A rig

Hope to acquire in the next couple of years: Hypertherm PM45 and Dynasty 200DX

Post Thanks / Like

Frank,

I have moderated on another vBulletin site for years. I would be happy to help out as a mod just to delete spam for you rather than having to just report it. I am on at various times and because I am semi retired, I'm able to be here to take action almost any time of the day or night.

Please consider that I would happily contribute to keeping the WW house clean and tidy.

Regards,

Greg
    aka Papaharley03
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

Post Thanks / Like

Greg,

Thanks. I think due to the existing mods and Ellen the spam is actually squished pretty quickly when it's reported. There can be a lot of early morning clean-up when all those overseas spammers get done.

The problem, of course, is the spammer coming in in the first place.

One question that our tech guys are trying to figure out is whether they want to mod the 3.8.7 that we're running now, or jump it to a 4.x version that another group is running.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chloupek View Post
    Greg,

Thanks. I think due to the existing mods and Ellen the spam is actually squished pretty quickly when it's reported. There can be a lot of early morning clean-up when all those overseas spammers get done.

Frank
    What about an overseas mod in different time zone? I just logged in and there is just pages of spam threads, it's a bit of a joke looking at this forum in the evening from Australia. Even this thread is full of spam.

Cheers Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I woke up this morning to a host of emails from subscribed threads, all of which were spammers. Just saying.

Papa
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to jump in and say "Hats Off" to all the mods and Administration for the awesome job of keeping the spam in check here on WW.

Over on the Rig Welder site 98 out of 100 posts are by two primary spammers that seem to have unrestricted run of the forum. Very frustrating to say the least when attempting to keep up with threads that one may be interested in.

Again - Hats Off!
    Last edited by duaneb55; 06-12-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Steve I recall when the pre-screening went into effect and I can see where that handles most of the "spamectomies" but still, having spent some time on the Rig Welder forum recently . . .

BTW, over there I believe one responsibility of the mods is to keep the flamin' wars and personal attacks goin'. Interestingly it actually makes for some pretty entertaining reading at times. There's just something about the way a guy that spends 10-12 hours a day down in a ditch staring at a little bright light can put thoughts into words.

But spammers are spammers no matter where they are so again - thanks.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for noticing the work put in here. It's always nice to have efforts noticed.

I want to especially call out thanks to Zapster, SWells, 7A749 and DSW for their efforts, and to our loyal community for their willingness to communicate any issues.

Sincerely,

Post Thanks / Like

But where's the Drama!!! KIDDING!! Some people just love a little drama. Me, personally, I like things nice and quiet. Like they are now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Just want to jump in and say "Hats Off" to all the mods and Administration for the awesome job of keeping the spam in check here on WW.

Over on the Rig Welder site 98 out of 100 posts are by two primary spammers that seem to have unrestricted run of the forum. Very frustrating to say the least when attempting to keep up with threads that one may be interested in.

Again - Hats Off!
    Thank you!

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebaran View Post
    Thanks guys for noticing the work put in here. It's always nice to have efforts noticed.

I want to especially call out thanks to Zapster, SWells, 7A749 and DSW for their efforts, and to our loyal community for their willingness to communicate any issues.

Sincerely,
    AWWWWWWWWWWW

(You never signed your note)

Your a sweetheart!

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

If you need help with moderation I can help, I know web design and code, and have owned my own site and forum before. Just let me know. I may not be the best Weldor yet but I am still am in training and know when to keep my mouth shut but also know correct information as well.
    Miller Maxstar 200 SD
    Piperliner #10 Gold

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW..
    I get phone calls from "SPAM"

Last night I was watching Deadliest Catch and the phone rang..
    I get the details on my TV about who is calling and it said "SPAM"!

The phone said spam on it and that funny voice from the phone said.."Call From Spam"

First time I heard/saw that..

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

See?

Name:  Funny.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  49.9 KB

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebaran View Post

Sincerely,
    Does this mean we can have access to the company jet for the weekend? J/K, Thanks all for noticing.
    If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure it's the penalty box????

gotta give ya some sh!t

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, ya'all are lucky this is not the Hobart Weld Talk site.....they're banning long served members just because they're licking their lips when spam gets mentioned.....LOL.......that's going back to Mc Carthyism of the 60's for you, spam is pink I know, but that's plain daft.

Come to think of it, I have a tin of Spam in my cupboard.......maybe they found out and that's why I got banned.....sigh.

It's a laugh really 'cos the "Newest" members are re-registering with a NOT in front of their name to get past the identity thing, probably with a new email address too to fool the registration conditions.

I'm dammed if I'm going to those lengths just to post a few lines if they can't get their act together and find a way to filter out the one liner spam merchants from the regular longer served members.
    Ian.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist