+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What welding helmet are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Miller mp-10 fixed shade big window for tig
    Fiber Metal tiger hood for the hard hat stuff

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What welding helmet are you using?

Miller Digital Elite

Post Thanks / Like

sold my speedglas 9001x to a forum member, now i'm using the tweco weldskil that came free with the purchase of my thermal arc 211i..

Post Thanks / Like

Sarge's pancake. Had my first one from 1991 till about 2005. My shop got broken into and my rig happened to be sitting in it... They got my hood, several of my Victor torches off the truck, a SP-140 mig, and just about every tool in my Snap-On rollaway that said Snap-on, or Mac on it. We still discover stuff missing from time to time. I bought this one soon afterwards (Used a "regular" hood a few times and... Not Happening...). The key to them is to sand the face piece until it fits perfect. And is perfectly smooth. Some people line the part that fits against your face with leather, but I've never felt the need to do that. I also "upgrade" the elastic. What comes with it seems to stretch pretty quickly. And I do away with the adjustment slider mechanism, replacing it with a large safety pin. The one I use now has the deeper lens compartment for an AD module. I've thought about getting one, it would be nice for doing a lot of tacking. But I've always been partial to gold lenses, until I recently got a silver lens that I really like. I've never used a AO blue lens, but from what I've seen about it this "silver" lense is somewhat similar. It has a very crisp "bluish" view from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DemonSpeeder View Post
    Two Miller Elite's, 1 for tig and the other for stick/mig ... However, I have an itch to go old school... I'm thinking about a Huntsman 451P with a gold lens....
    Update.... So I bought my Huntsman 451 and I am very happy with it...I'd like to try a couple diff gold lenses though but I do like Anchor lens I have at the moment... I like the headgear as well just as comfortable as my Elites...

I forgot to mention that I started with a hood from tractor supply,(the red flame one) which is a EXCELLENT hood for under $100. My girl friend really liked it so I gave it to her. The hood has been being used for at least 3-4 years now and has never had a problem, EVER !!
    Lincoln pro mig 180
    Lincoln Square Wave Tig 300/wp 20/home built water cooler
    Victor, Purox, Harris, O/A welding/cutting setups
    Vintage Craftsman drill press
    Vintage Craftsman/Atlas 12"x 36'' lathe
    7''x 12'' w/c band saw
    Everlast 140 st

Post Thanks / Like

You wanna talk about a good hood, this one right here. Grind Mode solid head gear.Welding overhead everything falls around it, nothing sits still. Seen some people burn holes right through 200 dollar hoods. This helmet has been given the OK to weld overhead unlike some. Spent around 350 dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by handtpipeline View Post
    Sarge's pancake. Had my first one from 1991 till about 2005. My shop got broken into and my rig happened to be sitting in it... They got my hood, several of my Victor torches off the truck, a SP-140 mig, and just about every tool in my Snap-On rollaway that said Snap-on, or Mac on it. We still discover stuff missing from time to time. I bought this one soon afterwards (Used a "regular" hood a few times and... Not Happening...). The key to them is to sand the face piece until it fits perfect. And is perfectly smooth. Some people line the part that fits against your face with leather, but I've never felt the need to do that. I also "upgrade" the elastic. What comes with it seems to stretch pretty quickly. And I do away with the adjustment slider mechanism, replacing it with a large safety pin. The one I use now has the deeper lens compartment for an AD module. I've thought about getting one, it would be nice for doing a lot of tacking. But I've always been partial to gold lenses, until I recently got a silver lens that I really like. I've never used a AO blue lens, but from what I've seen about it this "silver" lense is somewhat similar. It has a very crisp "bluish" view from it.
    I have seen those pancake hoods before,if you would, could you please explain why one would use it? I'm sure theres a reason, just never had the chance to ask someone that uses one.

Post Thanks / Like

I use an Accustrike from Cherokee industries.Probably have a dozen hoods laying around,haven't used any since I got the Accustrike.Takes a little getting used to,but I absolutely love the hood!

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up and started using an Autoarc from Tractor Supply. Pretty good I think for a $100 autodarkening hood. I also have a Fibre-Metal 990 with a gold lens.

That said, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a Trusight or Speedglas in the future, just I can't spend the $$$ to do so right now.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Speedglas, using is now for about 5 years, bought it cause it had a big viewing area. I am not crazy about the head gear, seems like I am always tightening it , wants to slip. So two question come to mind, first can one replace the head gear sold with the hoods. As in up grade, or is the problem I am having just the way it is with hoods? Recommendations accepted.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a Lincoln AD, and I have a Jackson fixed lens.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hobart Spool-Gun 100
    Lincoln 225 AC
    Miller & Pipeliner Hood
    Dewalt 14" Chopsaw, Grinders
    Harris O/A
    Victor Torch
    Custom Built O/A Cart
    Custom Welding Cart
    Heavy Duty 16 Speed Floor Drill Press
    Pipe-Bender
    Drill Doctor

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of hoods/helmets, is there anything that I can get that would block light from the backside of the helmet?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a Miller Titanium 9400i for three months. Some have complained it is to heavy. It is a little heavy but I think it saves me about a half an hour a day. The first two days my neck hurt a little but I guess my neck is stronger now. I do all my own cutting & grinding and now i don't have to look for my face shield. If I am doing a lot of cutting or grinding I will use the regular face shield. For me it is the only helmet I would buy right now. When I do get a new passive lens hood it will be a 1600i.
    Last edited by osweld; 02-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 12RC w/ 15ft Tweco #4 Gun
    Miller 30A Spoolgun
    Custom Thermal Arc TA 10/270 Generator "Thermal Star"
    Smith oxy/acet-propane with weld, cut & rosebud tips
    And of course grinders, chop saws, hand tools

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up a Miller Blue Rage...seems nice

Sent using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

35 years of doing the head bob with numerous helmets over the years but almost all with gold shields, till last year I decided to try an auto shade. Found a nicely reviewed Metal Man at TSC so I picked it up on sale also using one of their 10% coupons. It has a pretty nice ratcheting headband and since it's made from nylon it's also pretty light. I'm not sure who actually makes it but I've been happy with it. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it but here it is: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...e?cm_vc=-10005

Now the funny side of this story. I occasionally laugh at myself inside this helmet because all those years of head bobbing has apparently caused muscle memory; with the helmet down but the lens in the transparent mode, I'll put the rod or wire in place and bob my head to lower the helmet.

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson Nex-Gen my cousin gave it to me because his employer gives them new sheilds every x amt. of hours so far i like it but been having some trouble with it it is darker in different part of the sheild while welding in one know anything about how to fix this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD955SC View Post
    Speaking of hoods/helmets, is there anything that I can get that would block light from the backside of the helmet?
    Amen on that !

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by JD955SC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pepi View Post
    Amen on that !

how bout somthing like this

http://store.cyberweld.com/spwehecrexco.html

planning on getting one for my helmet

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 5 in my garage. Mine is a regular old non auto darkining helmet. My brother in law has a 20 something year old fiberglass one that still works and a newer non auto one with the big lendse. My kid has one just like mine and he received a cheepo auto darkening one for Christmas. The auto darkining one my son has is ok. I don't like the shade 10 it seems to light, the shade 11 is just a bit to dark. It's got me intrested in buying a high quality auto darkening helmet. But I really don't need it. I think the auto darkining helmets are cool and they do make a big difference. I think its a lot easier to strike an arc exactly where you want to it makes it a lot easier for a nube. I am not claustrophobic by any means however one thing that was difficult for me when I started welding was the feeling like I was stairing in to a blank darkness. But I have to agree with my brother in law who is teaching me. It's better to learn how to use an old school fixed shade non auto darkening helmet first. That way if you have to do some welding and the fancy ones are not available you can manage. My kid was getting the hang of running beads with the old school. Once he got the auto darkining helmet it seamed like he had a big improvement. Maybe the auto helmet helped maybe it was just practice. He has no problems running a bead with the non auto helmets but he still has a hard time striking it where he wants to. But its usually close enough to where he is not buggering everything up like he use to. (we are only running stick right now don't know how much of a difference that makes).

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be using an auto darkening helmet from HF. I was messing around with it last night and it seems decent (functionality wise). It's the one with those blue flame stickers that I want to peel off.

Post Thanks / Like

Only the best!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5GFd2xXd1E[/ame]
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to go with the digital elite...I personally like the retro painted one, but ultimately went with one in the middle of the series. I didn't know if (as a hobbyist) I would be using a 4the sensor feature.

Sent using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD955SC View Post
    I installed some snaps at the top and sides of my helmet and cut a piece of thin leather to shape so it fits around the back of the helmet and drapes almost to my shoulders. I snap it in place when needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Elite, vintage mode; 2008 I think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sh0ck1999 View Post
    Originally Posted by JD955SC View Post

how bout somthing like this

http://store.cyberweld.com/spwehecrexco.html

planning on getting one for my helmet
    That looks like a good possibility.

Thanks

Greg

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist