+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 110 volt migs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 110 volt migs

Hello all, I`ve been looking to get a 110 v and was hoping to get some suggestions on what brand might be best.I wouldn`t be using it daily, mostly hobby related projects around the house autobody, and new steel nothing over 1/4 inch.Haven`t welded in along time so was looking for something that will serve my purpose and won`t break the bank either.

Thanks alot everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your budget. I would pick a machine that can also handle gas just because it so much more versatile. I would say you can't go wrong with Lincoln, Miller or Hobart. Northern tool has a few that seem to get good ratings and are a bit cheaper. There are a few other suggestions in this thread.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...atchallpartial

-m

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1993 Lincoln sp100 which is still going strong for what it was intended for after appx 8 10# spools of solid core through it. I am real happy with it still.

The 110v Eastwood welder looks identical in components but I have no first hand experience with it or the company. Just another option to consider. It would seem they picked up the components when Lincoln updated theirs FWIW

http://www.eastwood.com/welders/eastwood-welders-1.html
    Hypertherm45, SP100 on gas, 175 AC/DC Sq Wave, 225/125 AC/DC, 7" x 12" Band, Central 16" - 16 speed Drill, 3HP 20Gal Air, Dayton 9" disk - 6 x 48 Belt, Sears 8" Pedistal, Victor O/A Torch, 150amp service to the 40x64 Pole Barn- Priceless

Post Thanks / Like

I am a backyard hobbyist and tinkerer, I have a cheap Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 110 welder. It cost me $100. I love it. My welds are ugly, but own a grinder. It works great for the crap I like to throw together. The other thing that is nice for a weekend welder such as myself is that it is 110, I did not need to rewire my shed to use my welder. I know that there are better machines out there, and I know most of the pros on here will scoff in disdain at my set up, but the price was right and it does what I want it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudbugone View Post
    Looks pretty clean & strong from the pics. Is that a gate hinge bracket?

How do you like the Clarke unit? I've heard pros/cons on them,just wondering what you think of them.
    It seems like a quality machine. People in Europe have good opinions of them, in North America everyone is either Miller/Lincoln but they are expensive in comparison. I bought this one on Ebay new for about $300 including shipping, a similar Lincoln at Home Depot would cost me $450.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billyjoe View Post
    I have welded for over 35 years and any 110 machine is a wast of money ,220 is the only way to go ,,,,,,
    I do not agree.
    If you know what the machine will do or not do, is really what is important.
    I use my Miller 140 all the time for small projects. Steel 1/8" or less.
    The problem is when people expect to weld a lot of 1/4 inch plate with them.

If you have the money buy that 220V machine.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have an opinion on an AMH Ultramig 135?

Post Thanks / Like

No experience w/it, but from what I've seen, it's not much for the $$! & at 115 amp?
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankc0402 View Post
    Anyone have an opinion on an AMH Ultramig 135?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    No experience w/it, but from what I've seen, it's not much for the $$! & at 115 amp?
    I'm sure Bruce meant to say 135 amps...

AMH Ultramig 135... $1,000+:
    Input power 115 volts
    Max. output 135 Amps @ 30% 20VDC
    Max. output voltage (c.o.) 22 volts
    Power cord 10' (3m)
    Welding cable 8' (2,5m)
    Ground cable and clamp 10' (3m).

Hobart Handler 140 is about $500.

Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected, what I found was 135 amp!
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom line:
    Buy a high quality machine and get as much amperage as you can afford.
    Lincoln / Century machines are junk.
    There is no reason you can't be happy with a 110V machine if you understand it's limits.
    Body panels, sheet metal, repairs on thin gauge metals, hobby and metal art work is what the smaller machines are for.
    They ARE awesome in the field since you can take em' anywhere.
    Hey guys, post some pics of the work you do with your 110
    Measure twice, cut once.

Millermatic 211
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    ESAB O/A Set-up

Post Thanks / Like

My first welder (from HF) was 120VAC Flux, only made me want something better so bought a Miller 211 a month later. It uses 120 & 220, but just got the wire ($400 ouch) to place a high amp 220 outlet where it has to go but have had some really great results with it on 120 up to 3/16". I have been welding for 2 months. It is amazing how much I needed to weld...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    Ain't it funny how nobody argues that pipe wrenches are so much better than tweezers, because they're more powerful.
    You need the right tool for the job. Ever try to pull out a splinter with a pipe wrench?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, newbie here. I borrowed a friends old Mighty Mig 101, 85 max amps, 110V with low hours on it. The wire feed speed control isn't working(fuse is good) and from what I've read that controls the amps and power settings control the volts. Amps will give me the heat needed for good penetration? Wire comes out very fast and I can't really get any pen at max settings until end of bead when things are hottest. I'm trying to weld some 1/8" plate to 1/16" square stock. I can pull off most welds with a pair of vise-grips. Is wire feed being to fast my problem? Plugged unit into 110V, 20 amp circuit. TIA for replies-

Post Thanks / Like

I have a H T P 110 mig got it in 1989 it is probaly the best tool I have ever bout. No one around me had a mig in their home shop back then. It opened up a hole new world for me. Use mig for thin and stick on thick. Yes I would like to have a 220 mig but Not if I had to give up 110.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you buy this?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1247_200441247

Hey all. Have 2 semesters at local vo-tech. stick welding, so I have some handle on the basics there. Mostly I now understand better why most of my welds suck.

A friend gave me a Craftsman 220v 30-200amp buzz box I am about to wire up. I understand the basic differences or limitations of this AC only machine, which I plan to use mainly to practice on bed frame salvage, etc. and some repairs and projects.

The unit will be near my service, which is 50' away from my driveway or the street.
    I have some exhaust work, including 2 muffler replacements to do. I have read conflicting info on whether the stick will work ok on the thin stuff, and some others recommend plain old clothes hanger (?) wire as good enough. I don't want to spend the $2/ft on extending this 50A 6/2 ckt if the stick machine won't do the job. Ya I know it can't hurt to have 220v outlet there.....

I plan on getting a better ac/dc 220 machine down the road, period. So, I'm considering a 110v mig or flux (I'd rather the mig capability over a flux only machine) as a second, portable thin material machine if I can keep the cost down.

What say you?

Post Thanks / Like

Clothes hanger wire in an arc welder,is the most desperate measure .
    Welding thin metal with clothes hanger is beyond desperate.

Post Thanks / Like

My advise is if you are going to weld on home prodjects mostlikle thin stuff take money your going to spend on 220 plug sell stick welder and by 110 mig. One of my first welding prodjects was Ex out of 1and 2 foot scrap pipe with stick no fun. Clothes hanger are most often used with torch but you can get a carben arc torch and use on your stick welder I have one used it a lot with hangers. takes alot cordanation or in my case hard headed stubernes.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so we read a lot of things on the internet.....
    So, then my question is still, given we seem to agree the 110v mig is a worthwhile purchase, what do you think of the Norhtern tool unit I link in my original post, here:?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1247_200441247

I'm looking to keep the price down while avoiding junk. I'm trying to not disregard products outside the big name Red, Blue, and Hobart but it is hard to pick through the "others". Forget the Horror Freight units; they don't fall into my "Don't Suck" list.
    Or realistically is more of the minimum for keeping the cost down, yet still get quality something like this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding...welder-3812040
    Last edited by jtcnj; 09-21-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

A mig with gas would be the way to go.
    A 120v would take you up to about 1/8 inch,you could use your stick welder on the larger things.
    The Hobarts are supposed to be pretty good little welders,some comments on the Northern here.http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...light=northern

Post Thanks / Like

I own a bodyshop & I have a millermatic185 which is a 220v machine.

now my guys only use it for sheet metal for the most part... one problem is that because the machine is capable of so much more, I wind up with a machine that I can only use on either setting 1 or setting 2, anything higher is too high, even though it does go all the way up to 6... I think a smaller machine would give me more usable adjustability in the range I need to use it for most of the time...

having the ability to do heavier materials is great & of course I do have the occasional time that I do have to crank it above 2 for heavier stuff, but it does sacrifice some of the resolution of adjustability that a smaller machine would have... just another thing to keep in mind when choosing a machine. I'm considering a smaller mig just for my guys to use day to day for sheet metal even though I do already have the bigger 220 machine to begin with...
    miller 330a bp TIG
    miller dynasty 200DX TIG
    millermatic 185 MIG
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 101 plasma cutter
    snap-on YA5550 plasma cutter
    hypertherm powermax 30 plasma cutter
    baileigh CS225 cold saw
    etc....

Post Thanks / Like

I will stick to me 240 volt little one hahaha
    Tons of hand tools mostly Kingchrome
    Arc welder
    MiG welders
    O/A setup
    Many grinders
    air compressors
    many air tools
    Industrial drill press
    Two Forklifts
    many more tools
    Man has his will, but woman has her way.
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz01 View Post
    Bottom line:
    Lincoln / Century machines are junk.
    wtf? I will put my Lincoln up against both your millers any day...
    HTP Invertig 201
    Lincoln Idealarc SP250
    Miller 180 AC Stick

By farmall:
    They should have held the seagull closer to the work, squeezing evenly for best deposition.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking into purchasing the Northern Tool Mig 135, it seems very similar to the hobart handler 140 minus 5 amps, Any of you have experience with this welder? It seems to have good reviews on the website but I personally have never owned a northern tool product. It also uses common tweco style parts like the millers i use at school.

Thanks,
    -Nathan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fordman View Post
    wtf? I will put my Lincoln up against both your millers any day...
    +1 on this one. I am just a do it myself kind of guy and this works perfect for everything I do around the house to welding up a front end on an old pick up truck. I have the 140C Lincoln, not the Home Depot version and it is awesome. When you are talking about 110V Migs, my 140C reigns supreme IMO. Keep in mind guys, this is a forum to help people, not to put people down like was done above. the best welder is the one each of you guys like the best, that is why they make so many different versions

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist