+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 110 volt migs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 110 volt migs

Quote Originally Posted by koota View Post
    Why do these 110 V flux core mig splatter so much?
    I had a Harbor Freight 90 amp 110V welder - was told they spatter more due to the output being AC vs DC. Half the time your polarity is wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koota View Post
    Why do these 110 V flux core mig splatter so much?
    The splatter is caused by the flux exploding within the wire.

Protective gases are needed to protect the puddle. With flux core, a solid core melts and then vaporizes from the heat and forms a gas cover over the weld. The expanding gas is inside a melting tube and some of that expanding material throws some the melted metal outward.

Using solid wire MIG you still see some splatter (from expanding metal and impurities) but no where near as much.

Dan
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

Post Thanks / Like

When I run Lincoln flux core, NR-211 I think it is. That stuff runs really smooth in my slightly modified Lincoln 120v machine. There is very little metal splatter.
    Now if I forget to change polarity, going from solid wire to flux core, yeah it gets real ugly real fast.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

why do these 110 V flux core mig splatter so much?
    I found good name brand wire doesn't splatter to bad. I had a HF welder and the wire it came with was garbage splattered like crazy. Switched to Lincoln wire and tips and it was better. I use Lincoln wire in my Eastwood 135 and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I found this thread. Just thought I'd share some technical specifications on four 110V/120V, 135A-140A MIG machines. I've been thinking about getting a small, portable, light duty MIG for home/hobby stuff. I'm not a welder by trade, but I do have access to some big boy 240V MIGs down at work in case I need them, which is why the interest in a 120V unit.

The four MIG machines that I looked at are the:
    Eastwoood MIG 135
    Everlast Power i-MIG 140E
    Longevity MIGWELD 140
    Hobart Handler 140

I've made up my own spreadsheet with some of the main features that I've found listed in most machines' spec charts, as well as some more intricate details that I think matter. Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone looking into the 140A MIG market. Note, there are a few fields that are empty/unknown due to not finding any info online. Also, there are some specs that are different than you will find online at the MFG. website, but these are due to the fact that I have looked at many sites and reviews, including responses from vendor technicians. Still, this comparison should be used with caution and check with the MFG about any specifications as they can change without notice.

I'm in no rush to get one of these yet, money, space, dedicated circuit, yada yada, etc.

Initially I was leaning toward the HH 140 (durability), then to the Eastwood (price), and have recently been eyeing the Everlast....(price, compatibility with DINSE 25, weight, duty cycle)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AHP AlphaTIG-200X
    Miller Multimatic 215

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Craftsman Pro 110 volt MIG about a year ago at a swap meet. I paid $50 and didn't expect much out of it. Figure it could be a spare if it worked. It came with a very flexible 15 foot Tweco mini-mig torch. The liner was toast so I replaced it for 12 bucks. It welds great! From 20 gauge to 1/4 inch plate. Infinite heat settings and wire speeds, fan cooled, a place for a small bottle, easy wire access, and a real steel handle. Pretty handy and goes anywhere.

The weak points for the inexpensive little migs that i see are the plastic drive roll mechanisms. And in my case, getting new drive rolls.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally decided to go with a refurbished HH140 from hobartweldshop.com. Ordered it on SEP.01 and it arrived SEP.13 on the west coast (Labor Day in there to slow things down). So if you need a HH140 quick, might wanna go somewhere else. But the waiting period gave me time to get a dedicated 20A circuit wired up in the garage. The thing is pretty new looking, only issue is the spool door is just a little dinged up, likely from shipping. Nothing that affects performance or door closing ability. All the stickers on the machine appear to be new as well. No scratches or signs of heavy use elsewhere on the machine.

The roller drive that came with the unit is the 3-groove "Quick Select" type, which is nice. Can run .023", .030"/.035" solid and .030"/.035" flux cored. I've only run a couple beads with the .030" sample spool of flux-cored wire, but it sure does purr.

The gas regulator that came with it does seem of good quality. It has a "Miller" stamp on the back. The regulator is designed for argon or argon/CO2 blend. Not recommended for straight CO2. The regulator has a barb fitting on it that is sealed in there with some thread goo of some sort. Tried to remove it to install a threaded port in there so I could move this reg over to my TIG setup, and my "argon or CO2" reg from my TIG to the HH140. But that threaded port is in there solid. Didn't want to tweak the regulator trying to removed the threaded barb. Will head to LWS to see what I can do with it.

Initially I was almost sold on the Everlast (Power i MIG 140E) but I decided on the HH140 over the Everlast for a few reasons:

1. Very nice manual, lots of good information, diagrams, and replacement part numbers listed. I like this sort of stuff. To me, it shows that if the company takes the time and effort to put out this detailed stuff in a manual (which can be hard to write good and stuff about technical stuff...and stuff), then they likely take the time to put this level of attention in their machines.
    2. The welding guide on the spool door (and in manual). I didn't think this would that helpful, but, the more I thought about this, the more I realized how useful it is. It lists a good starting point for many different wire types and sizes (flux and solid) that can be dialed in quickly, ie 3-45 (Volt tap-WFS). The HH has WFS numbers all around the dial which makes for a good, quick visual reference, whereas the Everlast only has "0" and "10", with no numbers in-between. Even though the HH has voltage taps (1-5), I didn't see this as a problem. Again, the Everlast (Power iMIG 140E) on has "0" and "10" with no numbers in-between which to me would not be as quick to setup for a weld on material that I hadn't done a million times already. After doing a bit of reading about voltage levels and WFS (which controls current), I felt more confident about using the voltage taps.

Lincoln actually has some great references on voltage and current at these two sites: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-ca...ge-output.aspx and http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...netration.aspx

3. Parts availability, local help and Hobart customer service. Both LWS (Local Welding Suppliers) in town are authorized dealers. Also heard great things about Hobart customer service.
    4. Heavy duty. I have the Chinese TIG AHP 200, and decided to go with something a little more robust and higher quality. You know, to balance it out.

Another nice thing about this machine is that it has the same footprint (and height) as the HH210 MVP (minus 20 lbs.). So, if (who am I kidding here...when) I ever decide to upgrade to the 210MVP, it will fit whatever cart/weld spot I have setup for the HH140. But for now, I think this machine will fit in great along with my 200A TIG, as I mostly use them for smaller hobby/home stuff.
    AHP AlphaTIG-200X
    Miller Multimatic 215

Post Thanks / Like

I have a HH 140EZ that i use alot. It can burn the paint off the back side of 1/4" steel if I need a really good weld...just not very long

Post Thanks / Like

For you maybe but for others it suits there needs.

Post Thanks / Like

hey njmm313 is your campbell hausfeld the 105 Name:  51731890_2497911366902988_8264368546180497408_o.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  179.0 KB if so can you take alook inside of yours and give me some information

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased the EASTWOOD 140I 120v MIG, TIG, STICK welder. So far I really like it. The Mig is really smooth & adjustable. Stick will burn 1/8" 7018 rods (surprise) Have not used the Tig yet due to lack of argon but should have it this week. Had a problem the gas regulator started leaking, made one phone call got a NEW complete regulator 2nd day delivery & was told to keep or junk original one. VERY SATISFIED!

Post Thanks / Like

I got one like that in 2001, beat it to death, burned a ton of wire, it was underwater due to IRMA in September 2017 and it still works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone should have a 120 volt mig/flux core welder in the shop. They come in handy sometimes.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad, tackit. You might find yourself using it more often than you think due to it's convenience.

Plus you won't feel bad if you drop it off a ladder!

What kind of circuit is it running off of? 20 amp, close to the breaker, solo to breaker, etc?

120 has come a long way, it's true you can't pull more energy than what's coming from the wall but efficiency has increased just enough to get over the hump into real usefulness. As always, knowledge, preparation, and multi pass and you can weld just about anything you need to.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 09-11-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any experience with any of these welders?
    1. Amico MIG-130A dual voltage fcaw
    2. S Smider dual voltage fcaw/ARC
    3. Yeswelder 135 110 volt fcaw/ARC.

I know there are better, more expensive choices, but I am limited in cash and needs. Also I'm 75 and probably don't need something to last forever. I figure with Amazon's 3 yr protection plan I shouldn't lose anything if it turns belly up.

Post Thanks / Like

The downside to 120 welders is flip the breaker a lot on 20 amps.
    If do buy try get a 30 amp RV plug for welder.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefcook View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with any of these welders?
    1. Amico MIG-130A dual voltage fcaw
    2. S Smider dual voltage fcaw/ARC
    3. Yeswelder 135 110 volt fcaw/ARC.

I know there are better, more expensive choices, but I am limited in cash and needs. Also I'm 75 and probably don't need something to last forever. I figure with Amazon's 3 yr protection plan I shouldn't lose anything if it turns belly up.

Post Thanks / Like

Already have one in shop.

Post Thanks / Like

That great
    Look for DC welder and use 0.030 flux core or 0.023 solid wire any bigger will not work well.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefcook View Post
    Already have one in shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Best I can offer is that I use a YesWelder 205DS, their multi process machine. I used it for over a year on a 30A 120V circuit and it works great. It's on a 240V circuit now.

But I've been a fan of their equipment. I won't lump them into the "typical chicom crap" pile - I feel they are a cut above, and worthy of consideration.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Lincoln 140mp. Seems ok for a multiprocess welder.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist