+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 110 volt migs

Post Thanks / Like

110 volt migs

Their seems to be a lot of posts all on the 110 migs and what they are able to do. I have added a link here that was from awhile ago and covers just about all the question anyone could have on this topic.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...10+mig+welders
    Miller DVI2
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Thermodynamics Cutmaster 38
    Everything else needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 110 volt migs

Post Thanks / Like

Charles

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Red Flames BWE
    Lincoln sp-135t

Post Thanks / Like

I have welded for over 35 years and any 110 machine is a wast of money ,220 is the only way to go ,,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

460 3 phase Miller MP65E. Wish I did have a smaller rig for the tin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billyjoe View Post
    I have welded for over 35 years and any 110 machine is a wast of money ,220 is the only way to go ,,,,,,

110 are not a waste of money if that is what you want and need.
    Miller DVI2
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Thermodynamics Cutmaster 38
    Everything else needed.

Post Thanks / Like

i use my 110 miller all the time .i leave light wire in it for small jobs ...and put fluxcore in it to run off my generator when i am in the field like when i need to weld up inside of a combine in the middle of nowhere its a little hard to drag my 252 to the field

Post Thanks / Like

I have many welders. The SP100 has its uses. I would not want to do with out it or the little gun that comes with it. Its worth the money to me.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 110v mig all the time. Its great on stuff under 3/16", over that your pushing it cause it just doesn't have the power. Good thing I like about the smaller migs is that you can take it most anywhere.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

The second welder I bought was an 88 amp century unit. Very narrow sweet spot. But it did work ok to weld 20 ga body panels on cars. It would weld a little heavy stiff but not much. I used several of the 130 amp units. They work very well within their limits. Actually I think everybody should own one. I pick up several side jobs from people who own one.
    Tough as nails and damn near as smart

Post Thanks / Like

i had a century (135A i think) 110v only machine. It sucked.
    very inconsistent feed, changed the gun and hoze. Didnt fix it. Eventually threw it out in a fit of rage!
    Was the best thing i ever did, it never layed a nice bead. Had me second guessing my abilitys.

I too thought that 220v was the oly way to go, but i borrowes a miller 135 the other day and it worked just fine. Easy to adjust, wide enough sweet spot.

Never say never

G

Post Thanks / Like

yup i guess its a matter of opinion aint it, and what its gonna be used for . little job ...big job.1/16 .....maybe 1"....hobbyiest or home crafts..i prefer more power for all jobs ...overkill is awsome ....augh !augh! ..anyone know how to spell ?

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lincoln Weld Pack 100 that is set up for MIG. Have used it for auto body repairs and welding steel to 1/8" (that is the limit for sure).
    If I was to buy one again it would be 220 volt in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

Not every welding job involves heavy metal. I did a LOT of fabrication for years that were in the 1/2" to 2" OD tubing (square/round) and most of it was between .035" and 1/8" wall. My 110v welder served me VERY well for those jobs.

I have since took on bigger jobs and now have a 220v welder.... but to say every 110v welder is junk or a waste of money is just incorrect.
    Jamie Webb
    Welder & Inspector
    Business and Hobby
    Lincoln Pro-Mig 180 with Spool Gun and Lincoln AC225

Post Thanks / Like

Understanding the limits is abig part of it. Manufacturers love to make it sound like you can do anything with a small unit. Picture on the box shows a guy welding a 16 inch I-beam then the machiene should be able to do it right?

Also sorting out the junk 110 units vs the good ones. There are a good number of poor 220 volt uits too, just not as many, i'd suspect there is less market for low end 220 volt migs.
    Lincoln PT185 TIG
    Lincoln 175 MIG
    Lincoln 240 amp AC Stick
    Lind Needle Arc plasma welder
    Plasma cutter, soon???

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jamie Webb,
    I worked with a guy from Texas with the same name. I was wondering if you worked on a Dupont Job in Southeast Texas Back in 2000 or so. I witnessed to that young welder about getting into church and serving God and one day he called me about 2 years later and told me he had received the Holy Ghost and got baptized in Jesus Name and was going to church in Beaumont Texas.
    Is this you?

Post Thanks / Like

a good 120 machine is better than a poor 220 machine.
    I would put a millermatic 140 up against any light century 220v machine. Just has to do with the inherent quality.
    Lincoln has both good and bad, the old SP100 was a great machine, hot for it's size. good welders. Had a friend build lots of trailers and mudboggers with his. the economig, well, takes more skill to get a good weld. but a lincoln for a century price!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billyjoe View Post
    Not entirely true. I have one and it makes great toast in the morning

Post Thanks / Like

Any welder is only good as the person that operates them. Lincoln, Miller,Hobart,etc make some good machines. It depends on what you are going to use it for. For doing the auto stuff you can't beat a 110 mig. If you are welding 1/2" or thicker material then you need a BIG BOY.

Post Thanks / Like

have a liitle 110v Campbell/Hausefield wire feed (flux core) for smaller stuff. Great for exhaust, small brackets, anything 1/8" and under. Even used it in the field on railings. Got it for 70.00 from Home Depot, it was their display unit, and they were getting rid of them, and not selling anymore.
    Has 5 year warranty, and ive had no problems with it. Very smooth

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a Weldpac100 for a lot of years. It's not junk. It's a good machine and I haven't had one problem with it. But, like any other tool it is only capable of doing the job it was designed for. For light material and staying in it's duty cycle it does an excellent job. For a little heavier material or laying down metal for long periods, get a bigger machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there,

I bought a 110v mig - well it's using flux core wire - for a project I am working on. There are some brackets that are 1/4 inch bar, 1 inch wide, and this is the thickest metal to weld on this project. Everything else is much smaller. So I've had to stretch the welder to make these pieces.

Here is a test that I ran. This is virtually the first thing that I've ever welded, so I'm sure a pro could do a better job. I beveled the edges a bit to get better penetration. And I welded both sides.

Then I hit it several times with a 5lb sledge hammer.

I bent the parent metal and the weld held strong. I believe this is a successful test of the weld strength. Let me know if you have a different opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty clean & strong from the pics. Is that a gate hinge bracket?

How do you like the Clarke unit? I've heard pros/cons on them,just wondering what you think of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudbugone View Post
    Looks pretty clean & strong from the pics. Is that a gate hinge bracket?

How do you like the Clarke unit? I've heard pros/cons on them,just wondering what you think of them.
    It seems like a quality machine. People in Europe have good opinions of them, in North America everyone is either Miller/Lincoln but they are expensive in comparison. I bought this one on Ebay new for about $300 including shipping, a similar Lincoln at Home Depot would cost me $450.

I am very much a novice but the welds seem smooth and it is consistent in its welds, and heck if a n00b like me can make a decent weld then it must be OK. I guess we'll see how the longevity of it is over time as I put more hours on it.

The piece in the pic is actually a spindle bracket for a go-kart that I've been slowly plugging away at for almost 2 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kansasduo View Post
    Not entirely true. I have one and it makes great toast in the morning
    I'm looking for a 220 Volt toaster. I hate waiting for toast

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist