+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Welding-related Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Old Welding-related Pictures

Thought you folks might enjoy a couple pics of someone's forgotten welding rig.
    I don't know any of the rig's history. I caught it heading for the shredder.

Check out the horn, siren and spotlight.
    Attachment 22686
    Must have been quite a show when he pulled in!

Here's the rear mounted welder engine and compressor:
    Attachment 22687
    Several generators too. Maybe for jump starting?
    No detail overlooked... fire extinguisher mounted on tool box.

The welding head is gone, but you can see where it was coupled to the Chevrolet engine.
    On the right is the compressor; for air-arc maybe?
    Check the welder control panel - 120v outlets and cable studs.
    Attachment 22685
    Notice the frame mounted air over hydraulic brake cylinder.

Inside cab:
    Attachment 22688
    Everyone gets a shifter!

Well, maybe it'll make China in time for the Olympics!
    Last edited by denrep; 10-19-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My rigs a little old... that don't mean she's slow! - Old welding rig pics

You can sort of let your mind wander with somethig like that. Pretty sweet.

Ya know, those guys built this country. No air conditioning either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    You can sort of let your mind wander with somethig like that. Pretty sweet.

Ya know, those guys built this country. No air conditioning either.
    Yep. That is real history right there, a long, long story behind that truck. Thanks for showing it Denrep.
    And then, after so much work...... you have it in your hand, and you look over to your side...... and the runner has run off. Leaving you holding the prize, wondering when the runner will return.

Post Thanks / Like

That is way cool. I have a soft spot for old trucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Lindblom View Post
    That is way cool. I have a soft spot for old trucks.
    Yeah, I'm glad I didn't find it! Must have been awesome in its day.

Even looking at the mount for the air/hydraulic brake setup. You'd figure that there must also have been something set up over the right rear wheels as well. How old? 38-46 Chev maybe, windscreen winder in the centre of the dashtop.

The control panel on the back would have been a nice piece of nostalgia to collect. All in all, it all looks a very professional rig, not just an assembly of equipment.

It's a great shame to see all these things headed for the shredder, history lost forever.

Denrep, that would have been better than many things from yard sales!
    "One of the things we have to be thankful for is that we don't get as much government as we pay for." (Charles Kettering)
    Mitch 180 (NZ)
    Lincoln SAM-400-220 + ?-400 Fordson Major + 2 x Tractapac Humber 80 + Procut 40 Plasma
    Miller Spectrum 375

Post Thanks / Like

Dang thats cool, even to restore it to the same stage it was at back in the good 'ol day..what are all those starter motor/alternator looking things?

Post Thanks / Like

I knew my rig was missing something. now I gotta buy a siren........
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

Post Thanks / Like

Cool old truck. While I was home at xmas I saw the oldest still working welding rig I have ever seen. I'm guessing '40s vintage. Wish I had some pics.
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like an oil change and a little wash and shes ready for the pipeline!!

nice find, i love old vehicles

Post Thanks / Like

Six Days on the road and I am not gonna make it home tonight! Your truck is just screaming for a frame up restoration!

John

Post Thanks / Like

Old Welding-related Pictures

I was thinking.... that we needed a thread dedicated to old Photographs, (at least 25 or 30 years old), of anything related to welding. This could include shots of work in progress, specific methods, equipment, even steel making/rolling pictures. Maybe one of your father or even yourself on site and outfitted for work (no, not sitting in a bar after work, even if work boots are still on!).

I propose/request, no demand! (will that really make a difference?) one basic rule:

Each Post Must Have One or More Old Pictures and All Pictures Must Be Old! but new to this thread (not already posted in this thread; other threads are ok though) .

"For you in Rio Linda," that means don't just post a message to say you liked/hated the last shot!
    Since I don't have any photographs of my own available, I will start the thread with one borrowed from another site; I might even tell you about it some time! [BTW, everything on that site is in the public domain].
    ================================================== ================================================== =========

Acetylene Annie: 1942

July 1942. Ford plant at Willow Run, Michigan. "Steady of eye and hand, women workers at the great Willow Run bomber plant are among those throughout the country who are relieving serious shortages of skilled workers by doing such semi-skilled jobs as the one here. She's welding parts of the cooling system direct to the supercharger." Medium format negative by Ann Rosener.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Welding-related Pictures

With no gloves and all!

Post Thanks / Like

Welder at work on Douglas Dam, Tenn. (TVA)

1942 June
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

A Little Off Topic

That picture depicts something I always thought was ironic. Maybe the younger readers don't realize it, but during the war almost all jobs making the war material used by the US and its allies were filled by women. These jobs included welding, mechanics , heavy machinery operators, etc. All the able bodied men were either hiding or fighting in the war.

After the war the women relinquished their jobs to the men, got married, and started having children - that is where I came from. After years of staying home, the women started trying to get back in the work force and had a hard time. They weren't considered for many of the jobs they did during the war. Even today, many men don't think they are worthy of jobs like welding, and don't have a place in construction. I am not one of them though. I don't see anything wrong with a good looking welder
    Last edited by 6010; 08-14-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

I have hundereds of old welding related pictures but there all in the old welding trade magazines and literuture I collect.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to make this a sticky for a week. Please follow original posters suggestion and make this thread nothing but old welding pictures.

My Mothers Mom was a weldor during the war.....

My oldest welder.

Name:  275 065.jpg
Views: 60273
Size:  61.5 KB
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

Acetylene Annie,
    Kind of Ironic since the Ford plant used hydrogen for its aluminum welding. BTW the torch she is using is a Meco Aviator Jet, such as shown here. Part of my prized collection. I have found that women in general, make much better weldors then men, especially on thin aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pictures of my father. He passed away 2 years ago. He was a welder in WW II in the navy, and continued his craft when he got home. He retired as a union pipefitter. Sure wish I could work with him today.
    Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgement.

19. Likes Rustyweld2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Experience is something you only get, immediately after needing it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7bnffUHYUI&feature=related[/ame]
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

And the one thing you get, when you get, what you don't want.
    Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgement.

Post Thanks / Like

Mating Operation: 1942

A. Palmer: Factories WW2

February 1942. Firestone Rubber plant in Akron, Ohio. "Conversion. Beverage containers to aviation oxygen cylinders. Before completion of the fourth and final welding operation in the manufacture of shatterproof oxygen cylinders for high altitude flying, all straps are subjected to physical tests to determine the strength of the weld. Occasional radiographic inspections are made to insure the quality of workmanship after the two halves of the cylinder are brought together in this atomic welding machine and made one unit. Here, the operator has just completed the union and is about to remove the whole cylinder." 4x5 nitrate negative by Alfred Palmer for the Office of War Information.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I got one of those shatterproof oxygen cylinders.I never knew what is was until I saw the photo. I found it in my mother In-laws attic. I will post a picture of it after I dig it out of the storage room. The person used it for compressed air tank. Neat Stuff!
    Lincoln SP 135 plus
    HF 14" chop saw
    Dewalt 4.5" angle grinder
    loads of hand tools for
    my Trade job

Post Thanks / Like

'Hydrogen Annie' doesn't have quite the same ring to it though

Not mine found it on some site a while ago...

Name:  gas-welding-equipment-welder.jpg
Views: 60193
Size:  35.8 KB

Not sure when it was taken but obviously back in the days when smoking was good for you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post

Mating Operation: 1942

A. Palmer: Factories WW2

February 1942. Firestone Rubber plant in Akron, Ohio. "Conversion. Beverage containers to aviation oxygen cylinders. Before completion of the fourth and final welding operation in the manufacture of shatterproof oxygen cylinders for high altitude flying, all straps are subjected to physical tests to determine the strength of the weld. Occasional radiographic inspections are made to insure the quality of workmanship after the two halves of the cylinder are brought together in this atomic welding machine and made one unit. Here, the operator has just completed the union and is about to remove the whole cylinder." 4x5 nitrate negative by Alfred Palmer for the Office of War Information.

Nice Pic,
    I actually met a guy that used to use the Atomic Hydrogen process, works quite well on aluminum. Torch is a bit large and heavy though so they used it a lot for automated welding, but it could be done by hand. Still required a flux, but a more narrow weld could be made faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Brave New World: 1942

April 1942. "Aircraft construction class. The flame of welding torches has replaced the soft lights of a nightclub in Daytona Beach, which has been taken over for a vocational school to train war workers for Florida's pooling program. Pictured above is instructor C.C. Gravelge showing one of his classes the difficult art of overhead welding in preparation for their initiation into aircraft welding jobs on the De Land pool's war contract." Medium format safety negative by Howard Hollem for the Office of War Information.

Comments:

Grandma the Welder

My grandmother was a single mom during WWII, and set out to find the highest-paid work available in the local shipyard (Evansville, Indiana). She was an overhead welder since it paid twice (or better) what secretarial work got you. She was good at it, too, and kept it up in various factories till my mom & her brother were in high school, I do believe.

Welding

I can confirm it: Overhead welding is tough!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist