+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My trip to HOBART to drop of my little buddy!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My trip to HOBART to drop of my little buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by weldermike View Post
    Just figured I would share how I spent my weekend. I have a neighborhood kid thats been helping me with my sidework for about five years now, he's only 20 now. He has been one of my best friends, even tho i'm 22yrs older than him, that a guy could ask for. All he ever wanted to be was a welder, and when he met me we both hit it off. I could only teach him so much doing side work together, and kept telling him he needed more hood time and had to go to school and get some certs if he wanted to do this for a living. He hooked up with a welding company for a while and they pounded him like a railroad spike and got no hood time and was going backwards in his welding skills. He was loyal to them, but just a grunt. He recently got laid off, and realized what iv'e been talking about. So I pushed him to go to school and he agreed. We researched a couple schools, and decided HOBARTS would be the best for him. He spent his own money on the school, found a room to rent for the next nine months, and we left 3:00am saturday morning. 640miles each way for me, but he's in good hands now. I got to meet the staff and got a tour of the school and was completely blown away from what I saw. I'm gonna miss his always hungry, chubby little azz, but cant wait to see what nine months of hood time does for him. He's a very special kid to me and close to my heart. Helps me with anything at the drop of a dime. I'm proud of him and cant wait till he's home, even tho I wanted to strangle him for that 1300 mile trip. LOL only kidding.
    Just found this thread and it was nice reading it!

You're a great person, Mike!!! . . . Not many people at all would do what you have done for this person, and he will always remember it!!

In this area most of the young kids are on dope and no one wants to help them. . . That's the problem with the world today.

This kid will go far and I ''really hope'' he gets a great paying job! . . . And when he does, He will remember you for helping him!

Thank you Mike for helping him! . . . The world needs more people like you!!!

Bill
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hobart Spool-Gun 100
    Lincoln 225 AC
    Miller & Pipeliner Hood
    Dewalt 14" Chopsaw, Grinders
    Harris O/A
    Victor Torch
    Custom Built O/A Cart
    Custom Welding Cart
    Heavy Duty 16 Speed Floor Drill Press
    Pipe-Bender
    Drill Doctor

Post Thanks / Like

So, how is he doing Mike?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry he is doing great bud! Thanks for asking! He graduated with four certs and passed every single test and task they through at him with zero failure in anything. I'm very proud of him! He did real good! I talked him into taking one more coarse to help better his future while he was already in school, so he's staying a little longer and he's taking the pipe fitters coarse. He surprised me too, he was hesitant at first, and one day while talking I tried to explain the benefits of the fitter class and he cut me off and said I already signed up mikey boy and paid for it i'm good to go. He's a good kid, if I had one I wish he was mine! Proud of him, he grew up a lot in 9 months, and turned into some welder. Few pipe pics!Name:  get-attachment.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  28.2 KBName:  get-attachment.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  29.7 KBName:  get-attachment.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  30.0 KBName:  get-attachment.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  33.7 KB
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

God bless you and your boy

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You're a good man Mike! It's a great feeling to pass on our knowledge to the younger generation, isn't it.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    You're a good man Mike! It's a great feeling to pass on our knowledge to the younger generation, isn't it.
    10/4 brother! It really hits home espescially when concern and advise hits home on the receiving end and it all comes together. I could not be any happier for my young friend! Thanks bud

Post Thanks / Like

Geez Mike, those are his pipe pics from school??

He's already better than me. Damnit...but I mean that in a nice way

Glad it's working out for him and that your time and effort paid off as well.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Geez Mike, those are his pipe pics from school??

He's already better than me. Damnit...but I mean that in a nice way

Glad it's working out for him and that your time and effort paid off as well.
    Thank you Dave! And yes those are his pipe pics bud. It was a big deal for me on the inside to put this kid and his money into a strange place far from home and just roll the dice and see how it worked out. I knew it would work out for him if he had the drive, and I would always be there for him, but it still didn't sit easy knowing if it backfired I was the bad advise. He's not my son and just a young great buddy, so i'm just so happy it all is working out great. He wasn't happy in the beginning, and I had to talk him off a building a few times, and it wasn't sitting too good in my stomach, but we worked through it, practiced his butt off and he's got it now. And when you got it in your head, it's only memory from there, you got it. Thanks Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how I missed this thread so many times, but Mike you are an awesome example to us all. I have helped many young men get started in the trades be it carpentry or welding, and it feels good. Passing the torch is one thing I love about true tradesmen. It isn't always about the money. It is about the trade and the legacy you leave for the next tradesmen.

Post Thanks / Like

VERY cool. Five years so in reality he's already a fabber-welder. Now he can perfect and learn all the new tricks with Hobart.
    I'm sure they have stuff up there sleeve that most of us(especially us gray beards) couldn't even dream of.
    I can still remember my first encounter with a MIG rig
    Ye meanz ye kin pull that thar treeger n ye can weld ferever ?
    Last edited by Burpee; 11-03-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer
    Screw gun --bad battery (see above)

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is awesome!

This thread should be stickied.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

AWESOME AGAIN MIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell the kid I hope he can get into the field he will enjoy as much as some of us do . The fitters local is taking awesome care of me after 41 years . As a youngin I never even thought about retirement or pensions. Now retired, the union treats me well. GOOD LUCK LTTLE BUDDY ! You make US ALL PROUD !
    I never thought you would be a ''MENTOR '' Mike. You did WELL AGAIN. Who knows, next you'll taken the kid bow huntin !

Post Thanks / Like

Righteous way to literally and figuratively "pass the torch" to the next generation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Righteous way to literally and figuratively "pass the torch" to the next generation.
    You are RIGHT. There are too many young men out there that just don't give a $hit. They want to play on phone, video games, or computer. I don't even know if they go out with girls ! From what I heard, Mike only gave him detention 2 times and had him sit in the corner with a dunce cap on. Here's to MIKE !

Post Thanks / Like

Good on you weldermike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! And I mean it!

Post Thanks / Like

Good work Mike. You agve the kid the greatest gift s of all. Self respect, an education an a future. I hope you are as proud of yourself as you are of him.

Sorry for the mispelling. My stupid smart phone will not let me edit.
    Idealarc 250
    AC 225S
    Victor OA-older made in USA stuff.
    And a crap ton of other stuff.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist