+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made tools!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Home made tools!

Here are some pics of my homemade square tubing bender die that I made from 1/4" steel plate and a cheapo HF pipe bender. The tubing is 1" square 0.125" wall 6061-T6 aluminum. The bend shown was just a test in the T6 tube to check for deformation. I plan on having the tubing annealed back to the "0" condition before the actual bends are made. I debated filling the tube with sand to maintain the tubing shape, but found this wasn't necessary. This was a much, much cheaper alternative to buying a professional bender with the appropriate die. I also found that most of the professional square tubing dies have a "crusher" strip in the center that purposely collapses the wall along the inside of the bend. This would be unacceptable for a clean looking bend. I can post additional pics and/or a printout of the die pattern if anybody is interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Linde/Union Carbide HDA-300
    Hobart RC-250
    Lincoln AC-225
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Hobart Stickmate LX
    Victor OxyAcetylene

Post Thanks / Like

12 points for the buckle free bend

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a way I came up with to bend short sections of tubing. That is 3/4 inch tubing. It worked well for that job. I bent 90 parts with multiple bends per part.

Probably would be a good Idea for those recumbent seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a home made tool but a home made tool rack (socket rack). Just a little something I’m making for the tool set I got my son for graduation. Using 1’ wide 1/8” thick mild steel flat bar I welded two rectangles 11” x 16” (16’ is the length of the socket holders) x 6 spaced 2” apart. I then drilled and tapped holes for the bolt studs, threaded ¾" lengths of threaded rod through the holes and welded the studs on the back side. Ground the welds flat and smooth so the rack would lie flat in a tool chest drawer. The socket holders are held in place by wing nuts to facilitate easy removal – in case you want to take some with you. Each rack holds 6 socket holders, each socket holder will hold between 15 and 20 sockets, depending on size. The rack is heavy enough when combined with the weight of the sockets so that you can remove a single socket without the rack coming with it. One is already primed and painted , #2 goes to paint tomorrow. Fits nicely in a tool chest drawer. Fist rack for SAE (standard measure) sockets, the second one is for the metric. Maybe one for the deep socket next - different design to fit in drawer.
    Last edited by reefera4m; 11-25-2008 at 02:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I REALLY like that socket holder idea. May be making a few for myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Mechanic View Post
    4" pvc pipe w/2 caps
    Can you explain how this works?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the comments!!

i've learned a bunch of stuff just by reading this section alone.. this is one of THE best forums i've ever seen.

that square tubing shoe nad socket rack and everything else here are genius.

oh, and sorry about the pic sizes.. i'll make a smaller batch up to be more forum-friendly!
    http://kawispeed.com/ -moderator and tech deluxe
    www.myspace.com/trickortrack -cuz i have no life

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't know you could do that on a bend. I have an old camper shell that's made out of aluminum, and all of the 90's have a concave thing on the inside of the bend.

How tight of a radius can you bend like the pics show?
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

The die I made was for a 4.5" centerline bending radius on 1" square tube. You could probably get away with a 4" centerline radius, but I haven't tried it. I have a PDF of the template I used to make the die if anybody needs it.
    Hobart RC-250
    Lincoln AC-225
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Hobart Stickmate LX
    Victor OxyAcetylene

Post Thanks / Like

I would like a PDF of the bending die.
    krorph@cablelynx.com

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some shots of some toolholders I made for my lathe. The first poorly focused picture is of an original Aloris; the second is my copy of the standard form on the left and my design of one with back rake on the right; while the third shows another of my design with longer reach on the top left, and the back rake design again on the lower right.
    Mine were all casehardened after machining.

12. Likes oldfartrr, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Oldiron2. Did you mill, drill and tap them on your lathe?
    Did you do the hardening by yourselves?

Just curious. I've got a small myford screaming for more toolholders

I see you're using toolbits or Kobalt steel for cutting. Very handy for all kinds of cutting.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    The steel came from plates (and jigs) removed (and sectioned for easier handling) from a pair of rotary-table indexing machines. They were milled on a Bridgeport running on a rotary converter, drilled and tapped on the mill too, and hardened either in the fireplace or in a small Lindburg furnace I picked up years ago. The carbonizing was done with old leather scraps, low temp charcoal, whatever was at hand.
    The toolbits I use were scrounged here and there; long ago, I did buy some new blanks but have never needed them yet.
    I can't get to anything but the lathe right now; too much stuff in the way! Doesn't matter really' I'm always wasting my time here now!....

Post Thanks / Like

NYS3, PDF link please? VERY good job! I have been wondering if it were possible to bend square without that crush strip in the inner radius.
    What did you use to bear against the edges of the tubing on each end and, did you clamp the outside center radius of the tube in any way (to prevent it from rising from the die and kinking at the bend)?
    Stew in Reno

Post Thanks / Like

Please post the link to the PDF if you don't mind, it will save you sending it to a bunch of people. I would like to have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep07 View Post
    Can you explain how this works?
    Fill with brake fluid - tighten fill plug - through shrader apply 30 lbs air - connect a rubber hose to the copper tube and hook the other end to your open brake bleeder - turn it up side down and open the valve - fluid will be pushed through system forcing any air to vent through the master cylinder. start with wheel furtherest from the master cylinder.
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

Her is an easy but handy bevel guide for a plasma torch. These are right and left 45°. 30°-60°-90° also get used a lot.
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a pressure washer this will pull your hose through a pipe to clean it out. Misplaced the actual nozzle so I'm submitting the drawing.
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

With regards to the square tubing bender die questions:
    I had cut out two square wood blocks to replace the standard cast iron circular rollers that support each end of the tubing. Holes were drilled in the wooden blocks to accept the steel pin on each side. I chose wood for ease of fabrication and it's non-scratch surface when sliding against the aluminum tube. I did not clamp the outside center radius at all during the bend. I debated filling the tube with sand, but it wasn't necessary. I coated the inside of the bender die with white lithium grease to cut down on internal friction between the tube and die. It is important that the die is constructed with the three bolts as shown in the pictures. This allows the removal of the sidewall supports once the bend is complete. If it is a solid welded piece, friction may make it extremely difficult to remove the tube from the die. In my previous post, I had mentioned that the die was constructed from 1/4" steel. It's hard to see in the photos, but the center (circular portion) of the die is fabricated from four (4) pieces of 1/4" steel plate cut on a bandsaw to the same pattern, tack welded together, then hand filed smooth along the bending surface. If you look close, you can see each individual piece.
    Hobart RC-250
    Lincoln AC-225
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Hobart Stickmate LX
    Victor OxyAcetylene

Post Thanks / Like

Her is an easy but handy bevel guide for a plasma torch. These are right and left 45°. 30°-60°-90° also get used a lot.
    Great yet simple and handy tool. Two gold stars.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a pressure washer this will pull your hose through a pipe to clean it out. Misplaced the actual nozzle so I'm submitting the drawing.
    Great idea MM. The big ones I've seen usually have a jet pointing forward as well to aid in 'boring through' a clog.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Had one like that when I worked for the sewer authority. 2500 psi, 8gpm, 800 feet of 1 1/4 inch hose.

My little pressure washer don't make enough water for the extra hole.
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

Simple sand blaster.

Take a 1/8" zerk and hit the top with a grinder the ball and spring will fall out.
    stuff or solder it to a 1/4 hose fttg. Screw it into a 1/4" tee. Add an air hose, sand hose and valve.
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

make sure the end of the ball is centered in the tee
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

man, you guys are all pretty sharp! i guess i better stop calling all the local 1 ironworkers on the job "dummies"
    plenty tough and union made.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist