Thread: Good Looking Legs

Post Thanks / Like

Good Looking Legs

I want to make some benches and machine stands using angle iron--but I just don't like the way the angle-iron legs look on the finished product. Yeah, I know; they're shop tables, not beauty contestants. But still ... I've got a couple old Delta stands in the shop and they have this nice graceful curve where the leg curves to the outside and splays a bit to form the foot. The outside profile of the Delta foot is about a third of a circle where it touches the floor.

I guess I could cut the ends of the angle iron legs on the point of the V and bend them out then weld in a triangular piece and finally clean up to a nice round shape with the plasma cutter.

But maybe someone here has come up w/ a better way? This really is the greatest welding forum in the known universe.

One more question: Does anyone know a source for the gently rounded "angle iron" like Diacro used to use for their bender stands? Really looks good.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good Looking Legs

If you have access to a press, you should be able to splay the angle iron.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Get some 11ga sheet and cut out wedge shapes.....oh phuk it...like this:

Lunar lander/UFO legs:
    http://www.wingnutdesigns.com/gallery/UFOTable.html

Or some 1/2-3/4" round bar and make "hair pin" style legs( sorry, no pic's on the site of my hair pin legs....)

or claws:
    http://www.wingnutdesigns.com/gallery/KlawEndTable.html

Nothing wrong with making yer stuff cool. Makes you smile when you walk in yer shop, then it's worth the time.
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.