+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Longevity auto dark helmet review

Post Thanks / Like

Longevity auto dark helmet review

I had a chance to use the Longevity auto dark helmet today and must say I am impressed. I was welding low amperage DC TIG which is a pretty good test of the light filtering hold on the helmet. Some helmets will open up on low amperage TIG briefly but not this one, it maintained the light filtering regardless of how low the current was set. I had the sensitivity on max and the delay on minimum.
    I especially liked the solid lock on the helmet when raising the helmet up. It never slipped down while doing setup with it on.
    I also used the unit when doing some stick welding and it worked perfectly on this as well.
    My other helmet is a mid range HF unit and works ok but slips down while doing setup which is a pain. The HF unit is now going to be my backup unit, I like the Longevity unit much better.

Dan
    WeldPro LS160P
    Force Cut LP80D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Longevity auto dark helmet review

Thanks for the review.
    I have been waiting to buy an extra helmet until after Christmas.
    I saw your link with the pictures of the helmets but I don't see any prices on the Longeveity website yet.
    MillerMatic 212, Lincoln Precision TIG 225, Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan glad to hear that you got that helmet up and working. I saw your video of the helmet in operation. I tried to see it at the Longevity site. But! Nothing comes up yet.

My Miller Elite bit the bullet when my brother backed over it. Like you I am now forced to use my fallback HF helmet. That HF helmet drives me nuts in that it keeps dropping down on my while I am setting up a project.

I hope Simon or Mike will get the helmet details and prices up soon otherwise I'll end up at Airgas paying the price.

Tom
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

Specter,
    I know Simon is working on getting the helmets listed on his site. I would call him directly to get pricing. I created an animated image of the helmet line for his site. You can let it run, pick out the design you want and call Simon requesting a price for that model.
    I am very happy with the unit I have, the helmet stays raised when you are moving around and I have had no flash open when welding with low amperage TIG. Really much better than the HF unit. It also came with a couple of extra lens covers and many foam head band covers.
    Dan
    WeldPro LS160P
    Force Cut LP80D

Post Thanks / Like

This was copied from one of Simon's posts on the Longevity website.

The helmets will be available online shortly. We are doing the pictures. The prices range from $79.99 to $189.99 for the helmet with Grinding and Welding modes with the bigger viewing lenses. If you are interested in a specific helmet, we can get you the specs right away.
    WeldPro LS160P
    Force Cut LP80D

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

We will have the helmets up and running before Jan 12th. The website developers are running a bit behind with uploading our content.

I apologize to all. Specter, we will get you prices shortly - sorry I got your message but was out of town.

Simon
    LONGEVITY
    Phone: 877-566-4462

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone,

Just letting everyone know that our Full Auto-Darkening Helmet line is on our website at

http://longevity-inc.com/products.php?category=54

If you are interested in any of the helmets, we are offering free shipping for WW members.

Please check them out.

Thanks
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

I sure like mine.

Dan
    WeldPro LS160P
    Force Cut LP80D

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a top of the line, large area view US made Jackson for $200 even, tax and shipping included from HTP. I called you guys first. Asking nearly 200 for a start up line of helmet is like asking someone to pay 20k for a Yugo.

You knocked the price down a little, but it doesn't even begin to compete. Jackson's huntsman line is available in that price range with some pretty nice models. Several of Millers autodarks come into that price range as well, not to mention Hobart, Lincoln Vista, Radnor(airgas) cobra, and many others. Shoot, even harbor freight has a very decent, large view area with adjustable shade control mounted to the exterior for 69.00 I wouldn't mind buying one of yours to give it a try, but cmon, 169.00 for a Chinese helmet?
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of getting one as well!! But everytime I wnet to their site and clicked on helmets nothing ever came up. I needed a helmet since my brohter murdered my Miller Elite by running over it.
    Lugweld does make a very good point here! That much money for a no name helmet is too much

My supplier airgas wanted way too much for a Jackson Halo X. So I bought it elsewhere.

My backup helmet is a HF $49.95 autodarkening helmet. Work fine something happens can't fix you throw it away no big loss.
    Last edited by specter; 01-18-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    I just bought a top of the line, large area view US made Jackson for $200 even, tax and shipping included from HTP. I called you guys first. Asking nearly 200 for a start up line of helmet is like asking someone to pay 20k for a Yugo.

You knocked the price down a little, but it doesn't even begin to compete. Jackson's huntsman line is available in that price range with some pretty nice models. Several of Millers autodarks come into that price range as well, not to mention Hobart, Lincoln Vista, Radnor(airgas) cobra, and many others. Shoot, even harbor freight has a very decent, large view area with adjustable shade control mounted to the exterior for 69.00 I wouldn't mind buying one of yours to give it a try, but cmon, 169.00 for a Chinese helmet?
    Lugweld,

HTP does not produce their equipment in America. We have several sources to confirm their suppliers. I dont know much but some of their line is also imported. Aside from that, Jackson makes fine products. Congrats.

Our auto darkening lineup has a 3 year replacement warranty in addition we offer various models that have very nice features. Our Elite model for $169.99 is priced a bit high, but the helmet is one of the best i used and I have used some top Miller's, which retails for double that cost. I will admit Miller Auto-Darkening helmets have some bad *** designs, but for functionality our helmet compares. If you were willing to try one, you would have a 30 day minus shipping guarantee and that goes for all others who are still interested and in need of a darkening helmet.

Lugweld, if the helmets do not sell at those prices, we will of course lower them to meet the market. Right now, we have had very positive reviews from all our customers who ordered one so we are very ecstatic of our new welding helmet lineup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    I was thinking of getting one as well!! But everytime I wnet to their site and clicked on helmets nothing ever came up. I needed a helmet since my brohter murdered my Miller Elite by running over it.
    Lugweld does make a very good point here! That much money for a no name helmet is too much

My supplier airgas wanted way too much for a Jackson Halo X. So I bought it elsewhere.

My backup helmet is a HF $49.95 autodarkening helmet. Work fine something happens can't fix you throw it away no big loss.
    Tom,

Our brand helmets have long expectancy hours. Just for curiosity, what is the warranty on the HF helmet? I believe Miller offers a 2 year?

Thanks,

Simon
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

I think the HF helmet can be purchased with a one year warranty I think. I'm not sure if it can be extended. I am on th 2nd year of the blue flame model that listed in a flyer last week for $42.99 . It was dragged out in the yard, rained on and chewed up and is still kickin.

It however may not have all the features needed. One thing I don't like is no grind feature. A velcro flap over the sensors fixes that.

I did try to go to the HF store to by a replacement headgear and they had no idea how to get one.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

longevity,

It will be interesting to see the long term durability here.
    I am aware of what HTP makes. Their machines are Italian built. Very high quality and little or no problems. As far as their helmets, they are upfront that they are made by Jackson and made in the USA. Very little of their stuff is made in the PRoC.
    They do have an internet special import helmet for 79.99. Which carries the same warranty as their other helmets and from all accounts are as tough as the HF ones. But if you do the math on the HF ones available for 49.99 price with adding 5.00 for an extended 2 year warranty, you have some tough competition, especially when these HF helmets have gotten so much abuse...That gets me to thinking... I need to post some pics on the other board.

But I am sure the helmets that you are importing will be of sufficient quality. But in doing cross comparisons to other name brand lines, you find actual retail prices are much lower than their list prices, sometimes as much as 150.00. Top of the line Hobart hoods retail at TSC for 179.99. Mid line Millers sell for 189.00 locally. Elites sell for 210.00

I hope you sell a lot of them, but I think after being sales myself for so long, you will have a tough go of it if you have educated customers. If you don't then, it should be easy pickings.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

LIke Lugweld I got the extended warranty on the HF helment. I got the two year extended warranty for the $5 price was some sort of deal. I had a head ban go out after the 1st year phoned HF and got a replacement helmet (not the headband and they extended the warranty an additional year, yeah that was alot more than I expected). I use that HF helmet as a backup for my Miller Elite (which died by hit & run).

I was hopeful I would get a Longevity helmet to replace my Miller Elite !! But while I could see the helmets on the site, I never did locate the specs or prices.

I needed a new helmet so I got one from a member of Welding Web. He was in need, his helmet was almost new and I got a good price and helped him and his family out.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I messaged HF and ordered a new headband for less than $5.00

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a store I can view them at next to a competitor to try it out first?
    We want to see something like this in the signature line:

Lincoln Ranger 250
    Miller Auto-Darkening Elite Helmet
    Lincoln 100
    Lincoln Mig
    Miller Spectrum 375
    Craftsman 8 galllon gas powered compressor
    Longevity 200amp Tig Welder LT-200D

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stack of Dimes,

Currently we have the helmets at two locations for you to try the helmets one in AZ and one in CA. If you are around those areas, in Mesa, AZ or Hayward, CA, please let us know.

Otherwise, we offer a 30 day risk free trial on the helmets. If you dont like the darkener, return it for a refund.

Thanks,

Simon
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by longevity-inc.com View Post
    Hey Stack of Dimes,

Currently we have the helmets at two locations for you to try the helmets one in AZ and one in CA. If you are around those areas, in Mesa, AZ or Hayward, CA, please let us know.

Otherwise, we offer a 30 day risk free trial on the helmets. If you dont like the darkener, return it for a refund.

Thanks,

Simon
    I may be in AZ soon. I know a guy that needs a sock in the jaw there and I might be delivering it.

Seriously tho, what's the name of the stores? I really might be in AZ soon.

Lincoln Ranger 250
    Lincoln 100
    Lincoln Mig
    Miller Spectrum 375

Post Thanks / Like

You can see our dealer page on www.longevity-inc.com/dealers - we recommend you stop by and test the helmets before you get arrested!
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out your website and it says all of your dealers are 'Authorized Sales' but doesn't say if they are stocking your helmets. I guess checking the websites of the individual dealers would be easiest?

*edit*
    The site links for the individual dealers all link to the Longevity site. Is this an oversight?

Lincoln Ranger 250
    Lincoln 100
    Lincoln Mig
    Miller Spectrum 375

Post Thanks / Like

Stack,

The dealers in AZ got them, but you are welcome to call them and see if they have them in stock.
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only guy who's still using speedglas. I've had mine almost 4 years and had to change batteries twice but I can get splatter shields anywhere. But I also need to keep with them as I have a special fitted 1.50 diopter magnifier and I couldn't follow a V groove without them. Getting old sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

KWS,

We are all getting older.
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWS View Post
    Am I the only guy who's still using speedglas. I've had mine almost 4 years and had to change batteries twice but I can get splatter shields anywhere. But I also need to keep with them as I have a special fitted 1.50 diopter magnifier and I couldn't follow a V groove without them. Getting old sucks.
    Don't worry I just bought a 9100XX,best $350 I ever spent.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist