+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln spool gun ??

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln spool gun ??

Im looking to get a Lincoln Power Mig 256, and considering a spool gun also, I see they make a couple different models. A Magnum 100SG, a Magnum and a Magnum 250LX, how bad is the 100SG?? Its the cheapest of the 3, I have never used Lincoln spool guns, only Airco and Miller. Should I just wait and purchase one later? Does anyone have any experience with them to tell me pluses or minus of each? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln spool gun ??

Is that 100sg spoolgun compatible with the 256? The 100sg spoolgun works well. You would be leaving a losing a lot of amps with that gun. Also, it is Al only and a short cable, So you would be rolling the welder around.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not looked into them too close, I just seen on their site they offer 3 of them, I didnt realize they all were not compatible with all the machines. I will check out the specs, and talk to the local welding supply shop guy to see what he has to say. Im not in a rush, and if I cant get the spool gun now Ill get it at a later date. Realistically I would probably only use it 3-5 times a year, but maybe once I have one I would get more projects.....tough to say. I would rather get the better gun than to compromise.....and be pissy later lol... Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Magnum 100SG spool gun. It's designed for both the Lincoln 140c and the 180c, 110 and 220 machines respectively, the largest of the small machines. I doubt that the 100SG will even fit onto your machine. I use mine rarely, it's paired with a 180c. Love the machine, it's good for a lot of stuff, I use it at home, around the house and for my car projects, etc. Bigger machine would be better, though...I could weld together that bridge that I've always wanted! The spool gun works well, all things considered, it sure isn't TIG, but it works well enough and makes decent beads.
    The spool gun designed for the Lincoln 256 is the 250LX or the Magnum SG. Nice machine, you must be happy with it. Here's a link to the Lincoln site, read down for options where it states "Add a spool gun – The POWER MIGŪ 256 is spool gun ready for the premium MagnumŪ 250LX gun and spool gun capable with the MagnumŪ SG (requires adapter)".

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...incolnElectric)

I used the equivalent Miller machine at work, outfitted with a spoolgun as well and it was used several times a week. It has provisions for 2 cylinders on the machine and switches automatically between Argon and C25, depending on the process. If that machine is any indication of what to expect, you should be happy, decent welds and they get better as you use it more. Big advantage is speed, being able to schlep something together and run a bead in a few short minutes without having to pull out the TIG machine, if you have one. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by bearston; 04-07-2013 at 07:15 PM.

When a welder tells you to "stick it", what do they really mean?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Post Thanks / Like

bearston, I dont have the machine yet, my local guy has a 256 XT power mig or something like that, now I see the ones on the site are just called power mig, I will go with the 250LX spool gun, if I cant afford it now Ill get it later on. I think the XT or whatever its called is just an older version, probably the same machine. Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

I put a LSG 100 on my pro 175, and it sucks....the wire feed portion it junk, cheaply made and lots of problems, I would stay away from it for sure.....

Post Thanks / Like

Theoretically, i dont see why one could not use any brand spool gun with any brand power source.
    It is just a power source to the spoolgun. Spoolgun is not racist, he will mate with blue, red, yellow, green and even that ugly gray bastard.
    Now, given that my machine is an advance process machine, it should provide different profiles for welding. Like maybe pulsed mig on spoolgun. Other than that, the cun should trigger the contactor and the power source should be ouputting preselected CV.

I know that was not your question, but you know, options.
    I still think the gun is dumb in the sense that it doesnt know who it is mated to.
    I dont think the power source cares either.
    And if your power source is not advanced it should be a no brainer.
    Anyone?
    Lincoln Power Mig 210MP MIG
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln TIG 300-300
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v Thanks JLAMES
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    My brain

Post Thanks / Like

i picked up a powermig 256 in the fall, bought a used lincoln magnum SG spoolgun for 200 bucks off a guy online.

on the powermig 256 you have to pickup a cable to mate the 2... iirc cost me about 115 bucks. havent had a chance to use it too much but so far so good! i do like the long cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeffyg, how do you like the 256? Im real close to buying one I think......Im thinking Im gonna go for the 250LX or whatever its called, supposed to hook right up to the 256. It looks like a great machine......would love to hear your input, what kind of stuff you use it for etc....

Post Thanks / Like

not really the guy to be giving a review.. this welder replaced my MM175 so its quite a step up other than that i dont have too much to compare it to.

other than the loss of portability i really like it! i bought it for mostly up to 1/4 in steel and building small aluminum jetboats (1/8-1/4)

functions how it should... hasnt ever malfunctioned, spoolgun seems to work pretty good i prefer the miller spoolgun however the price was right on this setup with the used spoolgun and 200 rebate (which took 2 months+ to come back to me)

no complaints however i wish i had kept my mm175 for those jobs i have to do out of the shop..

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input....

Post Thanks / Like

I know this thread is old as hell,but I have a relevant question to it.

I have a Lincoln 350mp and a 25' Python Plus push/pull rig..I own a boat welding and repair shop,but due to some major health issues,I shut down about 4 yrs ago..sooo,feeling a bit better,bought a SeaArk boat to fix up and resell and it needs some aluminum welding done to it...I go get the Python down today and the line that carries the wire has totally disintegrated!!!! The liner is still there,but the piece of crap on the outside is toast..so,I started looking for a replacement online,found out the story on the Python,not made anymore blah blah blah and of course,I cannot find the part..so,I decided to buy a spoolgun..now,will the SG100 work on my Lincoln 350mp or do I need a harness adapter? Do they even MAKE a harness adapter? Or,do I need a different spoolgun? If so,recommendations on one that will work on my rig? Thank you

Btw,Anyone want to buy a Python Plus? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked with MK Products, that's the company who makes the Python push pull gun. On the 350mp it is by far the best option, gar better than any spool gun. What liner are you describing as needing replaced? If it's just the wire liner I would be amazed if that's not a simple replacement. If you are going to get rid of it regardless I may be interested.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist