+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Tin Cans...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding Tin Cans...

That wasn't a poor fit up issue, it was a 'using the wrong end of the rod issue'.

And 3 rejects.

I could only hope to come back in my next lifetime half as smart as Denrep and Alfred.

I'd also like to get tutored by Alfred on dance lessons.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Post Thanks / Like

My can looked like it got hit with a load of 00 buckshot

A truly classic case of whipping. Without it, the metal would have fallen thru to the other side of the can. It was a pleasure to watch the results of someone who's good at what they do.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Denrep... Glad to see you're still around, and willing to show us all how it's done. Are my eyes deceiving me, or do your welds look... "Odd" ??? At least it appears that they held; and that's the trick.

Thanks for joining in; and glad to hear from you again !

Happy New Year by the way !

Regards,

Ed VA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    ...(much applause) (security guards moving in to protect the winner from the crowd). . .
    Why - Because they want to kill him?

Thanks for the compliments men, but I really don't feel so smart...
    Especially when I think about all the snares I've stumbled into.

I tried a few different techniques on the can weld.
    Rocking the electrode on my index finger and using a "dipping" technique seemed to work best. I tried to "coin" on the previous weld deposit
    Control was much easier when I cut the electrode off to about a 5" length.

Another pic:
    Attachment 27354

I know it's just a joke, but I don't think the weld looks so great.
    We can do better than that. Maybe with low hydrogen or stainless filler?

I'll try again after I save up some cans.

Last edited by denrep; 10-19-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Denrep...

You ARE kidding about using Stainless Filler on those cans aren't you ??? Or is there really some difference that they would make ?

Remember I'm a new guy, and don't know beans about welding yet; so my questions may be stupid at times... maybe most of the time ! He-he

Beautiful job there ! Done with a Stick Welder right ??? Amazing !!! I'm assuming that YOU'RE the guy that "Has The Patience of Jobe".

You had it easy though by using those square electrode cans. Except for Magnetic Mechanic who had the presence of mind to come up with a holding jig, we were mostly struggling to maintain the fit-up as we tried to get our welds done. He-he Just kidding !

I know that most of the guys that read this probably have at least 1 Angle Grinder; so I'd be interested to know if anyone can give me an idea as to where I can buy some replacement Motor Brushes. One of mine has burnt out. This is a pretty small town; so I might have to get them through Mail Order; but would really appreciate any directions.

Regards,

Ed VA
    Last edited by edv7028; 01-15-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try going to the manufacturers website. Sometimes they sell parts direct, or furnish links to dealers that handle the parts. Also do a search with the model #, manufacturer. You might wind up with a lot of hits

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks FarmerSamm...

I hope your tries at those cans are getting better; and that your patience level is still up there ! He-he

Have a Great Day !

Ed VA

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ed I know this may seen strange but try finding those brushes at Lowe's & Home Depot, maybe Tractor Supply, True Value Hardware, or yes try a keyword search on the internet.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Specter ! I'll give it a shot as well. All my grinders are from Harbor Freight; and I've already called them; but no answer yet.

Regards,

Ed VA

Post Thanks / Like

Say ERd have you tried their site. You can also call them and they most likey will send you a set. Harbor Freight is pretty good about those things. Bes ure to have you model number and part number if you have the original paperwork.

I have done this twice with HF on other grinders
    Last edited by specter; 01-15-2009 at 10:01 AM.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed.

If its a Harbor Freight brand like Chicago electrics or whatever they call it, those are made in China.
    The reason I say this is most of those made in China models used the same parts, depending on the size of the one you have whether its a 4 1/2" or 7" would probably only matter!
    If you have a 4 1/2", I have one here that I got for Christmas a few years back, it came from a local place that sells mostly Chinese made tools, it came with a replacement set of brushes, I probably wont use it much, and once it goes, I plan on replacing it with a Bosch or Makita or something!
    measure the width and depth of your brushes with a micrometer if you have one, and I will see of these aren't the same, if they are, give me your address and I will send them to you!
    And then If they don't work, you can just simply toss them.

Ken.
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edv7028 View Post
    Hi Denrep...

You ARE kidding about using Stainless Filler on those cans aren't you ??? Or is there really some difference that they would make ? . . .
    No, I'm serious. Either stainless or low-hydrogen rods would carry a softer less penetrating arc, which may help with control on the very thin cans.

Be patient, we're halfway to ready, for the next test:
    Attachment 27414

Last edited by denrep; 10-19-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken Dennis...

Gee... that's the best offer I've had in several YEARS !!! I sincerely appreciate it. If you're serious, I'll get you the measurements; but would like to do something for you if I can. I don't have much here; and as I've always said, I do everything I can to use just "Free Stuff", (which means junk). Anyway, let me know if I can do anything for you in exchange for those brushes. Nice of you to offer in any case !

Craig In Denver...

I think it was you that first mentioned my losing all that weight from those aluminum cans I was melting with those Copper Clad Carbon Gouging Electrodes.

Well... You're Right ! I've managed to use about 3 1/4" electrodes to melt 2 55 gallon barrels of cans; and there is absolutely NOTHING left of them. They have actually vaporized, and left nothing more than a thin film of aluminum droplets all over my driveway where I was melting them.

It may be a waste of recycleable cans; but damn that was fun & educational to see what power that combination of welder and electrodes have !!!

Thanks for the heads-up on what would happen !

Regards,

Ed VA

Post Thanks / Like

Ed!

I was serious!
    No need to do for me directly, you would be doing me a favor for letting me help you, all I would ask in return, is for you to pass along my helping you to someone else that may need help with something!
    Call it a good deed if you want.
    I belong to several web sites, and on one in particular, www.weekendfreedommachines.com this type of thing goes on there all the time, one member helping the other, and we all there would like to see this type of behavior going on everywhere, so this is just my contribution to helping elsewhere!

Ken.
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    No, I'm serious. Either stainless or low-hydrogen rods would carry a softer less penetrating arc, which may help with control on the very thin cans.

Be patient, we're halfway to ready, for the next test:
    Attachment 27414

Since the recent switch to 7018, I sorta noticed the same thing, but wasn't sure if it was the different rod, or maybe I wasn't getting enough heat into the metal. After grinding some joints, I was satisfied with the heat.

Working along a T joint on tubing, the old 6013 would chew up the thinner butt edge of the joint, unless you were pretty careful. Better results on DCEN than AC, but still involving quite a bit of manipulation to control the heat and keep it away from the edge.

The 7018 seems to allow you to fill the joint with less concern about wiping out the thin edge. It seems easier to flow/wash the puddle against the thin edge without whipping to some degree. Seems to be a gentler rod, but with good penetration.

I'm glad someone brought this up. It's sorta confirmed what I've been seeing. If I'm actually seeing the right thing.....

The low hydrogen DC is all new stuff to me. I'm likin' the daylights out of it. Seems like I wasted the DC capacity of the machine for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Ut Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sam's seen the light.

The wonders of 7018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed:
    A complete newbie, asks a question about how to do something impossible.

And, instead of being shot out of the water, he gets 90 replies on how it might be done.

And not one negative post.

90 posts on how Grown Men, Professionals in their Trade, can weld tin cans together.

It's good to know that we're still allowed to have Fun.

Craig

P.S. I liked it when Samm was in the dark.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Post Thanks / Like

Hello to All Again ...

KEN DENNIS... I like to think that I do that type of thing all the time; but then I'm kind of wrapped-up with family problems here lately. I'll get you those measurements later today when the Sun wakes up.

FARMERSAMM... What current settings and rod size were you using there buddy ???

CRAIG IN DENVER... I'm still kind of amazed at the response to my original post too. Didn't really plan on getting people's frustration and blood pressure up; but it does give us all a reminder that we have some things we can get better at.

With Denrep's last photo, I'm beginning to believe that it's even possible to get this type of job done well. I just have SO Long a Way to go !!!

Have a Great Day Everyone !

Ed VA

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed

5/64 6013 30amps DCEN, and I couldn't do much more that drag it with the coating almost touching the steel. Lot of arc outages, and just a general mess. I didn't do a very good job. Denrep has a nice looking weld considering the difficult material, and using a rod. Magnetic Mechanic also had a nice looking job. One was a weld with no backing, and the other was a weld with backing. Either way, it was more than I could do. There's guys with the touch, and then there's me

Post Thanks / Like

Hi FarmerSamm...

We gotta admit... there are some really talented, (Or Super Patient), guys out there. It might have something to do with coordination, eyesight, and no "Shakes". As for me, I've got no coordination, bad eyesight, and can't keep my hands from either shaking or cramping up. Ahh well, I do what I can with what I've got. At least I can get most of my projects to hold together; but just want to do more.

Hope you have a Great Day; and Fabulous Weekend ! I've got wood to chop; so I'd better finish up my coffee, and deer sausage that i BBQ'd last night and get with it.

Regards,

Ed VA

Post Thanks / Like

Hi FarmerSamm...

We gotta admit... there are some really talented, (Or Super Patient), guys out there. It might have something to do with coordination, eyesight, and no "Shakes". As for me, I've got no coordination, bad eyesight, and can't keep my hands from either shaking or cramping up. Ahh well, I do what I can with what I've got. At least I can get most of my projects to hold together; but just want to do more.

Hope you have a Great Day; and Fabulous Weekend ! I've got wood to chop; so I'd better finish up my coffee, and deer sausage that i BBQ'd last night and get with it.

Regards,

Ed VA
    Enjoy yourself, and shoot a cupid in the a$$ for me while you're at it

Post Thanks / Like

Hey FarmerSamm...

I got 1 little booger with the axe, and clobbered another winged little sob with a machete ! Needless to say, my wife showed-up and erased all the good feelings I had built-up. Rats !!!

Ed VA

Post Thanks / Like

Hey FarmerSamm...

I got 1 little booger with the axe, and clobbered another winged little sob with a machete ! Needless to say, my wife showed-up and erased all the good feelings I had built-up. Rats !!!

Ed VA

Aw hell, if she left tomorrow, you'd probably be the lonliest man in the world.

Or, maybe not.But somehow, I secretly doubt that

Post Thanks / Like

If yer pissin' and moanin' about the price of welding rod, just imagine what it's gonna cost to chase those lil' 25yr old cuties.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I've been too busy to follow everything here lately, including this thread so forgive me if this question has been brought up before:
    What kind of preparation have you (all) done with the can before welding? The sheet metal has one or another type of plating or coating which gets locked into the joint under the rim, doesn't it? Has anyone tried cooking the area to burn it off, or an acid etch to remove plating? Any thin organic layer (like shellac or epoxy or the newer plastics probably used) will instantly turn to gas under the arc, helping to blow bits of the can away. I won't even guess about the plating for now.
    . [Troublemaker trying to keep the fun going for a while] . . . .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist