+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Math needed for welding

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Math needed for welding

Quote Originally Posted by smc1118 View Post
    I need help I need to learn math fast and for free because I don't have the founds to go back to school for it but I was always bad at math really bad and I am realizing that all the good jobs you need to know math can any help me or point me in the direction of some really good websites thank you all.
    Recommend you watch, learn, and complete the exercises for Early Math, Arithmetic, Geometry, and Trigonometry available online from the Khan Academy. Complete the above Math Subjects in the order listed. If you already know a given subtopic, after checking out the content, press forward.

Starting with Geometry is not the best course of action, IMPO, until you are comfortable with addition/ subtraction/ multiplication/ &division for both decimals and fractions. Learning to effectively operate a tape measure and other layout tools, first requires a solid working knowledge of decimals and fractions.

As a former volunteer tutor in Math/Algebra, can tell you first hand that Khan Academy + your level of effort/dedication into the "journey" will yield positive results for you. You must invest the time and step through the saturation ~ incubation ~ illumination phases to truely master most challenges in life.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ManoKai; 01-02-2017 at 07:19 AM.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post
    Recommend you watch, learn, and complete the exercises for Early Math, Arithmetic, Geometry, and Trigonometry available online from the Khan Academy. Complete the above Math Subjects in the order listed. If you already know a given subtopic, after checking out the content, press forward.

Starting with Geometry is not the best course of action, IMPO, until you are comfortable with addition/ subtraction/ multiplication/ &division for both decimals and fractions. Learning to effectively operate a tape measure and other layout tools, first requires a solid working knowledge of decimals and fractions.

As a former volunteer tutor in Math/Algebra, can tell you first hand that Khan Academy + your level of effort/dedication into the "journey" will yield positive results for you. You must invest the time and step through the saturation ~ incubation ~ illumination phases to truely master most challenges in life.

Good luck.
    +1
    Kahn academy is a good way to improve basic skills.
    It will not give you practice in creative, career oriented, problem solving - but is a great skill builder.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blwaz23 View Post
    If I wanted to learn the math for pipe fitting what would be a good source to read or what books would be the best to read?
    These are good books to have. Also one of these calculators.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

I keep that calculator on my phone. $20 for the app vs $100 something for the calculator. I use it nearly everyday too. I also use Sketchup to draw and they have a free version.
    4 - Miller 225 Bobcats
    2 - Miller 250 Bobcats
    1 - Millermatic 251
    1 - Millermatic 252
    1 - Everlast Power Tig 255 EXT
    And all other kinds of equipment

https://www.facebook.com/lmhsteel

Post Thanks / Like

having modern computer,phone and calculator i would forget learning anything except the very basics of math and concentrate on perfecting welding skill.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    having modern computer,phone and calculator i would forget learning anything except the very basics of math and concentrate on perfecting welding skill.
    Doing the math in your head will keep your brain alive. All this modern sh*t is handy sometimes, but when the battery is dead it's useless.
    My brain always works. If it stops working then nothing matters anymore.

Eric
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

Basic math skill such as addition, subtraction, multiplication tables and division are essential. Knowledge of algebra & geometry are essential as well. If you can't do it on your head you need to be able to do it in writing

Post Thanks / Like

I learned geometry in 5 grade, learn to read blueprints so you can do layout work, it can make the difference between you being the guy that's down in the hole breathing shiit all day or the guy up on the deck working in fresh air.

https://www.proconstructionguide.com...nd-blueprints/
    Last edited by CrookedRoads; 07-14-2018 at 10:59 AM.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle Fab View Post
    I am currently taking some welding courses, but it moved straight into more hands on training as opposed to classroom getting used to measurements, welding symbols, blue prints, exc. Coincidently, I am also taking a some advanced math courses to shore up those skills.

Any recommendations on the type of math I should gear up on? Trig, Geometry?
    You never know if you
    But having training will give a egde over
    Others
    I found in welding old school drafting is great plus in the shop.

Good luck
    Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

in my opinion the most important thing you can do it learn the basics.
    addition/ subtraction/ multiplication/ &division for both decimals and fractions. and know how to use a tape measure. everything beyond that is just tricks.

some of the best fitters i have been around only had a 3rd grade education

i am not talking calculator you have to have that **** in your head and have it good, it will make your life a lot easier and make you money

Post Thanks / Like

I so wish I had the ability to retain knowledge as most normals do. I forget more crap and have to continually relearn crap to get things done. Shoot in High school I had a hard time with Algebra and Geometry but more so with Algebra and having to write everything out by hand and do all the math took forever for the slow processor in my cranium. I hated it. Still do, get head aches from thinking to much at times.

Ok enough sniffling, there are so many great suggestions and information in this thread.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    Doing the math in your head will keep your brain alive. All this modern sh*t is handy sometimes, but when the battery is dead it's useless.
    My brain always works. If it stops working then nothing matters anymore.

Eric
    eric; you can have the math. i'm keeping the gray matter alive remembering fishing knots,the tides and the names/uses for my box full of lures.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle Fab View Post
    I am currently taking some welding courses, but it moved straight into more hands on training as opposed to classroom getting used to measurements, welding symbols, blue prints, exc. Coincidently, I am also taking a some advanced math courses to shore up those skills.
    accounting jobs in UAE latest
    Any recommendations on the type of math I should gear up on? Trig, Geometry?
    Go for geometry in this case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bastard View Post
    I find that I use all 4 types of math addin miniusin timesin and dvidin

anything else?

Don't forget reconin' guesstimatein', and cipherin'
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

High School geometry has gotten the job done for a lot of years for me, course I was Paroled from HS before Union Teachers came along or even the "New Math" so 2+3 = 5 in my world.

Tape measure and knowing 3 + 4 better = 5 if it's supposed to be a 90° corner will take most weldors thru a week in the real world.
    Csquared = Asquared + B squared will handle most triangles and since pocket calculators came along all that square root calculating with a pencil went down the drain.

Knowing how to read a ruler is one thing I've seen wanting in young men and women for at least the last 2 decades. I'm not overly enthused by so called welding instructors spending classroom hours on trying to teach math or ruler reading that should be known and a requirement for admission to the welding class. Welding symbols are rarely going to be part of a weldor's employment for his or her first couple years. I favor more hands on time with a O/A torch and a stinger.
    In 2018 I have yet to find a young person without a Device in their pocket, and that little box will access most layouts and provide an on screen calculator faster than any young person can do the math. When you're getting paid by the hour no employer wants to invest in your math deficiency, especially when a calculator exists and is available. Instruction time would be better spent teaching new people about these calculators and how to use them.

You should learn to use a newspaper to find the center of a circle as you begin working in a shop, same with using a strip of paper to lay out 4 equally spaced holes around the circumference of a tube. Half of the job on the shop floor is about getting the job done profitably, or there won't be a shop for long.

Post Thanks / Like

You wouldn't believe how many engineers are completely astonished that I can figure out the size of a blender shaft with a piece of wire. Obviously there is a margin of error due to standard is metric sizing, but all I do is run a piece of thin wire, flat baler string, piece of paper etc around a shaft, mark the same spot, flatten it out, measure between the 2 points, divide by pie, and you have your shaft diameter.... Now this method is very very accurate because 1/16" off actually measures .196" between points. Obviously it won't do thousandths, but if you need to know if it is 3 15/16" or 4" shaft. 3 15/16 would measure 12.37" and 4" would measure 12.566" so huge gap for to guess the correct measurement.

This comes in handy when your calipers or special shaft measuring device is 20 minutes away and down 3 stories.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Don't forget reconin' guesstimatein', and cipherin'
    Measuring tools are important too - I use a calibrated eyeballometer

It even works for level and plumb, unless I'm standing crooked...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    You wouldn't believe how many engineers are completely astonished that I can figure out the size of a blender shaft with a piece of wire. Obviously there is a margin of error due to standard is metric sizing, but all I do is run a piece of thin wire, flat baler string, piece of paper etc around a shaft, mark the same spot, flatten it out, measure between the 2 points, divide by pie, and you have your shaft diameter.... Now this method is very very accurate because 1/16" off actually measures .196" between points. Obviously it won't do thousandths, but if you need to know if it is 3 15/16" or 4" shaft. 3 15/16 would measure 12.37" and 4" would measure 12.566" so huge gap for to guess the correct measurement.

This comes in handy when your calipers or special shaft measuring device is 20 minutes away and down 3 stories.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
    Pie should NEVER be divided, unless it's mincemeat. If it's mincemeat don't even call me for pie.
    Each person should be given their own pie. It's the decent thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I have standard and metric tapes but still need to get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Muff-Products.../dp/B01NASTL52

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of tapes... you wouldn't believe how many people on job sites think metric and engineers tapes are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Speaking of tapes... you wouldn't believe how many people on job sites think metric and engineers tapes are the same.
    That kind of thinking should be encouraged. Given how few people know there are 12 inches in a foot, watching a layout done with an Engineer tape might be very entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    That kind of thinking should be encouraged. Given how few people know there are 12 inches in a foot, watching a layout done with an Engineer tape might be very entertaining.
    I always grade with the tenths, so we had some mud guys setting forms the other day... Well one of em' had gotten hold tenths tape somehow ��... After about five times of marking things wrong he finally chucked it in the bushes ��

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    I have standard and metric tapes but still need to get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Muff-Products.../dp/B01NASTL52
    It's ok but I didn't see the rch scale on it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    There are lots of online resources - just do a search for learning math and you will get a bunch of hits. Just don't let anybody sell you anything you don't want to buy. math.com looks like an OK place to start, but there are many places you can go to that have tutorials etc.
    I’m studying engineering at college and I have a lot of math during the week and it would be naive, of course, to believe that it’s possible to learn math following tips or online examples. But occasionally its possible to find solutions at the field level and deal with separate assignment using calc, mobile apps or online helpers like this assignment.essayshark.com/math-help.html
    Last edited by Hankdelroy; 12-05-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    i've run into people who claim to be in the building trades all their life and can't read any kind of ruler. i saw this with my own eyes;one guy must have been about 40 and got into the union on some special program would match up bolts to his tape and put a mark on it.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist