+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Math needed for welding

Post Thanks / Like

Math needed for welding

I am currently taking some welding courses, but it moved straight into more hands on training as opposed to classroom getting used to measurements, welding symbols, blue prints, exc. Coincidently, I am also taking a some advanced math courses to shore up those skills.

Any recommendations on the type of math I should gear up on? Trig, Geometry?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Math needed for welding

If yer gonna do any layout, you gots ta have geometry.
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Geometry definitely, particularly if you do fabricating. But trig, is helpful, though I can't hardly remember a thing about it. Accounting math might be nice....got to keep those books.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Trig. Very useful, sine cosine tangent and the like. Algebra as a pre-req, it's a foundation for solving all sorts of stuff.

If you work in the US, knowing how to convert from imperial to metric measurements can be handy, and likely will only become more so with time. Being able to apply the correct conversion with the correct math.

Being able to take degrees and convert that into length measurements on an arc. For example a part that is essentially a large arch (30' length of a circle with radius of 150') had brackets spaces every 7.9°, had to be able to use that information to mark locations for the brackets.

Being able to estimate volume, and convert volume into weight. Very useful if you're dealing with larger items and overhead lifting.

I would also recommend knowing how to do math long hand, without a calculator. Including long division. Sometimes it's more convent to just write the math out than it is to go get a calculator.

As for weld symbols, I'm assuming that you're located int he US and are learning ANSI/AWS weld symbols. I would try and at least take a look at some ISO weld symbols as well. They are similar, but have differences. Particularly in arrow side vs other side designation, weld dimensions, and intermittent weld lengths/pitch. Be familiar enough that you can recognize which a symbol is, and be able to look up how the welds are called out.

Post Thanks / Like

definatly geometry and when iwas in school at ndscs we had a practical welders math book that was the thing also fractions, decimals and a very good calculator where you just plug in formula and get your answer

Post Thanks / Like

Start with sound fundementals...some of the guys I attended welding school with couldn't add, subtract, multiple, and divide; even with a calculator. Know how to perform all these mathmatical operations with fractions and decimals. Be comfortable converting from fractions to decimals and back. Someone else mentioned the metric system. I second this suggestion. Understand how to convert from one unit of measurement to the other.

If you've mastered all this already, then look at geometry. A few simple concepts, like a 3,4,5 right triangle will enable you to build things square. If you don't know, ask someone to show you the proper technique for using a tape measure, plumb bob, and spirit level. Knowing how to use these tools properly will help you avoid a lot of time consuming mistakes.

Best way to learn how to read blueprints is to learn how to produce one yourself. Take a drafting course if you have the time. There are lots of good reference books on welding symbology that can provide the details you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle Fab View Post
    I am currently taking some welding courses, but it moved straight into more hands on training as opposed to classroom getting used to measurements, welding symbols, blue prints, exc. Coincidently, I am also taking a some advanced math courses to shore up those skills.

Benson's Mobile Welding - Dayton, OH metro area - AWS Certified Welding Inspector

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations! I've got the fraction/Dec conversions down cold, and all the adding stuff well in hand as well.

That said, I really like the Drafting course/study idea and that is a great suggestion! Welding symbols and blueprints as well!

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

I find that I use all 4 types of math addin miniusin timesin and dvidin

anything else?

Post Thanks / Like

Look at this and see if you can figure out how to lay it out: http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...091#post247091

That will give you an idea of what you might need to know.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Post Thanks / Like

get a copy of "MATH TO BULD ON" its about $25 a great reference when you need to look up the right formula isbn # 0-9624197-1-0

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Math needed for welding

Simple geometry - like if you have a round steel disk how do you find the center?

Figuring supplies for a job. But there is a hand held calculator made just for welders that can really help you with this task and i have seen it in Welding Journal magazine.

Weights of materials - like you are going to load a 1 ton truck with steel plates and you want a safe load.1/4 inch steel plate weighs 10.2 pounds per sq.foot.What would a safe load be?
    Weights of materials are very important.

How large of a tank to hold 10 gallons of liquid. Etc.,.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Post Thanks / Like

All of the previously posted suggestions are excellent, especially those referring to trig, geometry, and drafting. I would however add a couple of thoughts. If you can find a board drafting class instead of AutoCADD it will serve you better. Unless you are using a CNC cutter you will be doing your layout and cutting by hand. Thus the skills you learn on the board are directly transferable to sheet and plate stock. If you can take a class in Descriptive Geometry that is taught on the board that will improve your math skills in ways that will serve you best.

Another source of info is the Audel’s series of technical books. Don’t just concentrate on the welding books, but also look at the millwrights, carpenters, and other tradesman books that contain math information.

Glad to see someone pursuing your craft with such a focus.

Post Thanks / Like

I need help I need to learn math fast and for free because I don't have the founds to go back to school for it but I was always bad at math really bad and I am realizing that all the good jobs you need to know math can any help me or point me in the direction of some really good websites thank you all

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

same old horse, caught another horse, taking oats away
    Sin=opp/Hypotenuse
    Cosine=Adjacent / Hypotenuse
    Tangent = Opp/ Adjacent
    also A squared + B squared = C squared
    most places you cannot get the job if you cannot do basic trig. making stairs and other jobs it can be useful.

Post Thanks / Like

having nothing but the basic math fundamentals i would recommend the new guys learn all they can. once you get a little older it's very difficult to absorb.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smc1118 View Post
    I need help I need to learn math fast and for free because I don't have the founds to go back to school for it but I was always bad at math really bad and I am realizing that all the good jobs you need to know math can any help me or point me in the direction of some really good websites thank you all

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Geometry is probably where you want to start. I imagine 5 minutes Googling/reading would provide plenty of questions that you can then research further. Rinse, lather and repeat. Check the library for books. Books will probably be easier to learn from than the internet.

Depending on your situation, look for some grants & scholarships. I don't think I would be able to teach myself a big general subject like math, it's just too overwhelming but maybe you can. Add an English 101 class in there too. Not being an *** on purpose; I graduated high school with poor English writing skills. English 101 was worth the time and money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    having nothing but the basic math fundamentals i would recommend the new guys learn all they can. once you get a little older it's very difficult to absorb.
    my preference is to draw it in Librecad and then pick points and it says what dimensions are and i can print it out
    it is available as a portable app which runs from usb flash drive, no need to install anything
    http://portableapps.com/
    nothing wrong with doing math but double check math. embarrassing to make math mistakes worst ones are
    confusing 1" 1" with 11"
    doing big stuff and so busy measuring 1/16" that was off exactly 1 foot measuring opposite corners.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like using math this could be 7 years old , 2009 and now 2016

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of online resources - just do a search for learning math and you will get a bunch of hits. Just don't let anybody sell you anything you don't want to buy. math.com looks like an OK place to start, but there are many places you can go to that have tutorials etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    my preference is to draw it in Librecad and then pick points and it says what dimensions are and i can print it out
    it is available as a portable app which runs from usb flash drive, no need to install anything
    http://portableapps.com/
    nothing wrong with doing math but double check math. embarrassing to make math mistakes worst ones are
    confusing 1" 1" with 11"
    doing big stuff and so busy measuring 1/16" that was off exactly 1 foot measuring opposite corners.
    that's too true. one of the critical things about the fabrication trade is double checking dimensions during the build process. many times i've misread/miscalculated my measurements by one foot or one inch. better to catch it early then after it's out the door. i find my crs especially troublesome between my bench and the saw
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

that's too true. one of the critical things about the fabrication trade is double checking dimensions during the build process. many times i've misread/miscalculated my measurements by one foot or one inch. better to catch it early then after it's out the door. i find my crs especially troublesome between my bench and the saw
    always read tape measure just inches like 121" and then feet inches 10' 1"
    laying concrete block for garage foundation and had somebody helping hold tape measure. i was so proud i had it within 1/8" over like 30 feet. unfortunately i later found out i was exactly 1 foot off. it made everything harder including cutting plywood for roof even after getting the top of walls down to within 4" of square measuring opposite corners, like each piece of plywood had to cut 1" triangle off
    one of those things once you do it, you always remember for rest of your life. double check math, double check reading tape measure in particular feet AND inch errors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    always read tape measure just inches like 121" and then feet inches 10' 1"
    laying concrete block for garage foundation and had somebody helping hold tape measure. i was so proud i had it within 1/8" over like 30 feet. unfortunately i later found out i was exactly 1 foot off. it made everything harder including cutting plywood for roof even after getting the top of walls down to within 4" of square measuring opposite corners, like each piece of plywood had to cut 1" triangle off
    one of those things once you do it, you always remember for rest of your life. double check math, double check reading tape measure in particular feet AND inch errors
    yikes! you're not likely to forget that in a quick hurry
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

one of the critical things about the fabrication trade is double checking dimensions during the build process. :
    Is that why it takes me forever to get anything done?

LoL !

I have gotten many compliments on some of the things I have built in my spare time.

And people will say why don't you do this for a living?

I just laugh and roll my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    Simple geometry - like if you have a round steel disk how do you find the center
    Duh, that's easy you balance it on the tip of a nail. But only if it is of uniform density throughout.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

If I wanted to learn the math for pipe fitting what would be a good source to read or what books would be the best to read?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist