+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New (to me) VMC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New (to me) VMC

Quote Originally Posted by el bob View Post
    Congrats! Is having the tool change capability going to be a big deal for you?
    Yes when doing production work. Right now I have to change tools manually. Sometimes I change a tool every few minutes. If I get one of the tools out of order stuff can go bad in a hurry. The parts I'm running this week use 4 tools and take about 10 minutes per part. With a tool change every few minutes it makes it tough to use the time for other things. The new machine will likely be faster and swap it's own tools freeing me up to do other things between parts. It's like cloning me.

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm still playing with the machine, getting it cleaned up, and all the while working to dial in my cam post-processor and convert some of my production work over to the new control. Yesterday I was dreaming of the ATC as I mindlessly swapped tools all day long.

I have a set of programming manuals I've been working from in electronic format but around the shop and especially when learning a new machine a paper version can't be beat. So yesterday at lunch (11:59 AM to be exact) I uploaded the files to Fedex/Kinkos and used their design thingy to layout some paper manuals. At around 3:00 pm I get an email notifying me that the job was done and it was shipped! This morning the manuals arrived! I was very impressed.

If you have manuals you'd like to print you should try it. At first I almost didn't bother because it was crazy expensive but then I realized it defaulted to color.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I just read a bit about this: EtherNet/IP

Using the same Ethernet standard as email, the Internet and other commercial applications, EtherNet/IP (with “IP” referring to Industrial Protocol) is a simple, yet robust communications platform ─ enabling users to effectively manage real-time control and information flow within the machine and manufacturing enterprise. Its genius and simplicity rests on EtherNet/IP’s ability to deliver the real-time performance, resiliency and security of traditional fieldbus solutions, along with the bandwidth, open connectivity and global acceptance of standard Ethernet.

By standardizing on EtherNet/IP, machine builders have one standard network that can lower their Total Cost to Design, Develop and DeliverTM machines, while eliminating the risks and boundaries associated with proprietary and dedicated networks. EtherNet/IP is the only industrial protocol that is designed and established to connect from the device level all the way up to the end customer’s IT infrastructure, and across applications, including discrete, safety, motion, process and drive control. This helps machine builders securely connect equipment to upstream and downstream operations.
    I don't know if this would work for smaller shops, but it seems interesting if several different machines need to run simultaneously. Kind of like what brucer suggested?
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Lincoln WeldandPower 225 AC/DC G-7 CV/CC
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    I prefer the comb binding on mine. I've had both & the spiral bind tends to spin out of the holes if its handled a lot. At least in my experience.
    There were so many options I just picked one. I'll have to try the comb binding on the next round. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBall2 View Post
    I don't know if this would work for smaller shops, but it seems interesting if several different machines need to run simultaneously. Kind of like what brucer suggested?
    Ethernet is becoming the standard for sure.

Even without tying everything together... I can run a lot of machines simultaneously on my "sneaker net". Basically, I run around keeping them fed and running. Just don't get distracted.

My Mori lathe can be centrally run over ethernet using the Mori Server application. I haven't bothered because I do most of my lathe programming on the machine. My lagun cnc mill is already on ethernet for pulling files from the ftp server, as is my cnc plasma table. I'm in the process of hanging the emt conduit for the ethernet drop to this VMC. Now if I could program them to send me a text message when done... that would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that would be plain lazy
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    Now that would be plain lazy
    Maybe. But, It's not uncommon to come in several times in the evening to move parts. Sometimes on the hour all night long. A text message would be a modern alternative to stack lights. Thinking about it I could easily use an un-used M-code and simply have it trigger something. I wonder if this machine has a stack light trigger because that would be too easy. I'm really surprised how few m-code triggers this control supports... my old cnc4 has 8 that I can use for all kinds of stuff.

How about a trac-phone in a ziplock taped to the table. Load a tool holder with a pencil. Select pencil tool and move to XY of phone and press send.
    Last edited by forhire; 06-15-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be funny...but inventive

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

I am excited to see your new machine run! Each time the thread bumps to the top I wonder if this will be the post that does it. Good luck, it seems to have gone well so far!

Post Thanks / Like

The new Y axis way covers finally arrived a few days ago. I've been too busy to get them installed. I stayed late tonight and started stripping the old covers. Gotta love the sheet of plastic way cover that was on the machine. I did find an oil hose that needs replacement... maybe once that hose is fixed the machine won't be such an oil hog. I dry fit the new front cover and it looks good. With some luck I can knock the covers out tomorrow and finally start making chips.

Post Thanks / Like

forhire I have been following this thread and cant wait to see that piece of equipment up and running. I am not even knowledgeable about all that it will do and dont even know if I have ever seen one of those before. But I am learing a lot from you and all the other guys on the web. Wished this site had been around in the late 60s and early 70s, OH By the way perhaps AL GORE hadnt invented the internet then or the machine you are reworking.ha Keep up the good work. richey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richey View Post
    forhire I have been following this thread and cant wait to see that piece of equipment up and running.
    Thanks. It has been going painfully slow. I have a couple pallets of castings to machine and I've been waiting to use the new machine. I ported my programs from the other mill and I'm getting impatient. The new machine can thread mill which will should save me a ton of time. I got the way covers all installed so now I'm just waiting on the oil line to arrive. After it's all re-assembled I'll charge up the coolant system start making chips.

Here's the a photo of the new way covers install. Aren't they pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

very nice. richey

Post Thanks / Like

Alright I didn't fall off the planet. Spent a week at scout camp and then another week on a 50 mile canoe trip. Only to come home and be busy as a dog for a week. Today was the first day I've had to work on the VMC in a LONG time.

The machine is all re-assembled. New oil line arrived while I was gone and installed quick and easy. I then decided on how I was going to clean it up. I messed with several methods but finally just pulled out the power washer and got busy (being mindful of where I was blasting of course). It didn't really cut it... so I flipped to soap mode and hit it with Super Clean and let it soak. I then brushed down all the surfaces. Thank goodness for a good respirator. After the soak and scrub it power washed nicely. I then rinsed it down well and wiped down all the surfaces. Sprayed all the metal parts with a light coating of oil and called it a day.

On the next machine I'm going to power wash it before I move it into the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Looks clean forhire. Ever think about building an electric hot pressure washer, seems like they would clean better while lessening the possibility of forcing water into places it should not go by having to stay on a spot longer to clean it.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2210_200322210
    My business partner has one at the farm and it works fantastic. Not sure of the brand. I thought about borrowing it but I already had the pressure washer so I used what I had. I was worried about getting water where it shouldn't. I was careful. The machine was powered so the air and oil were running. I did the critical areas by hand. Mostly needed to clean the cabinet and get rid of years of build up. The coolant used previously was super sticky and really made a mess. I prefer the semi-synthetic I use on the lathe... no sticky residue.

Post Thanks / Like

I think having the heat option and also having the ability to adjust the strength of the spray is a way better way to go. If I could do it over again I would pop for the heat.
    I think your right. I bought the pressure washer to do the sidewalks out front. It only gets used about once a year. I've only likely run a few tanks of fuel through it in the past 5 years... and it's a gas hog.

forehire do you have any pics of your river trip and boy scout camp you would like to share with us ? I remember taking my boy to his troops yearly Boy Scout outing to a place up in Wisconsin for a weekend, we had a good time sleeping in tents and competing in different events. It was the first time I ever got in a canoe.
    I'll have to see. I was the lead canoe so I spent most of my time picking the lines for the rest to follow.

What kind of punch did you use to make the holes in your collet holder? Man that sure looked nice. I wish I could find and old Roper Whitney foot operated press for cheap.
    http://www.roperwhitney.com/foot-press.html
    I plasma cut them and then had to clean them up because I made them a hair small (0.02"). I would think a hole saw or annular cutter would work. A small punch is on my list of things I'd like. I almost pulled the trigger on a well tooled on last year. I wonder if a Greenlee panel knockout is sized close enough?

I'm going to call these people Monday and see if any of their shorty bushing will work in the collet holder I bought from ENCO.
    http://www.heyco.com/Bushings_Gromme...s_Bumpers_Feet
    Interesting idea. It would make for a clean finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 438471

We are waiting for the chips to fly

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    We are waiting for the chips to fly
    You and me both! Until I have this thing up and making money it has to take the back seat. I've been so busy the last couple weeks. I'm so close... if I can find a half a day I should be up and running.

Fixed the drawbar release button. Last week I took the panel apart and fixed the light and a few broken wires on the digitizer hookup. I ordered a replacement button off ebay and it arrived today. I thought it would light up green but the green cover is opaque... no light comes through. At least with the white cover no coolant will get into the panel anymore.

Does anyone know if get a translucent green cover for a GE CS-2000 button?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you just put a green bulb in it?
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Can you just put a green bulb in it?
    Sure. I could also color it with a green sharpie but the lens helps keep debris out of the switch also.

I finally found the GE catalog and after a LOT of reading I believe the clear lens I'm looking for is a P9ASGPDV. List price is a couple bucks if I can find someone to sell me one.

The switch I bought is a P9SPNVS and here a photo to give you an idea what the lens looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

All this computer stuff reminds me of the old days when I used to know how to set up dos config files and all the commands.

Can't say I miss dos one little bit.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc TM 300 300
    MM 200
    MM 251

30a Spoolgun
    Precision Tig 375
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

Post Thanks / Like

A week or two ago my wife and daughter came home with a full sheet of pink board they had picked up in town for a project. It had been cut down to fit in the VW. They were pretty proud of their find. I kept quite because I have scrap foam board at the shop. Later, I was asked to help cut out some cosplay stuff. Sure, no problem. So a few days ago my daughter and I designed something she liked and today I threw it on the VMC to give it a whirl. Worked good. Not the quietest machine but no louder than my Lagun full out. Figured foam was a good first run test in case something went terribly wrong.

This turned out to be an all day project because when I fired up the machine this morning I was getting crazy errors. I finally traced it out to the tool changer. So I tore it all apart again and found a bad proximity switch. I ordered a new one. Another $95 plus shipping. Then, after I got off the phone, I had the bright idea so see if it behaved poorly in another location and to my surprise it worked fine. So I started tracing wires and found that each time I plugged in and unplugged the switch the voltage would climb a little. Once the voltage was over 14 volts the machine would recognize it. So I blasted the connector with some electrical cleaner and put it all back together.

Feels good to finally make something with the machine. It has been a lot of work to this point.

I have no idea who Dave Strider is but I guess he has some neat turntables!
    Last edited by forhire; 08-06-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Installed the coolant nozzles and filled the sump today. I was surprised how small the coolant reservoir actually was. I expected many trips with the bucket but it only held 15 gallons. Tiny.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stuff!

Did you draw up the design for the cog?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    Cool stuff!

Did you draw up the design for the cog?
    Thanks. Yes, originally I made it a true gear but this is based on a cartoon so I had to redesign it so it was more blocky. I also scaled it down so it would fit in the 30"x16" cut area. Figures first little project and I'm already wishing the envelope was larger in the Y axis.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure it won't be the last either!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist