Thread: 6011 electrode difference?

Post Thanks / Like

6011 electrode difference?

Has anyone noticed, or is there, any significant difference in two of Lincoln's 6011 rods...namely the Fleetweld 180 and Fleetweld 35? Sometimes I can find one at one place and then other times I can find the other one at the same place. Guess the vendor can't make up their mind which they want to carry.

I haven't noticed any real difference (DCEP only, no AC, 3/32" and 1/8" sizes).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6011 electrode difference?

Last edited by tanglediver; 05-05-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the Lincoln spec sheets, the 180 has slightly better yield & tensile strength numbers (more C & Mn) but the 35 has better Charpy impact specs.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

I guess then, in a nutshell, that for general welding projects (no buildings, trailers, etc.) either rod will suffice with neither having a distinct advantage. I've been running the 180's and they work just fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would any of them be unsuitable for buildings or trailers?

Post Thanks / Like

We use 6011 on ac for vertical down lifting attachments on hundreds of pieces over couple of decades. Arc blow is uncontrollable on dc on this stuff and I use vertical down to control heat because of the close proximity of plastic.

The vast majority of the rod is Fleetweld 180.
    Last edited by kald; 05-07-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're running DC, why not use 6010?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Why would any of them be unsuitable for buildings or trailers?
    I KNEW I shouldn't have put the word "trailer" in there.... Trailer is a four-letter word.

Yes, 6011 would be suitable for trailers, I myself would prefer 7018 for buildings and trailers, but then that's just a personal preference. At any case, I'm not going to be building any buildings or trailers, so it's a moot point.
    Last edited by shortfuse; 05-07-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    If you're running DC, why not use 6010?
    I just don't use 6010 for everyday welding jobs. Only 6011, 6013, 7014 and 7018. Those will pretty well get the job done and stick together anything I need.

In my OP, I was just curious as to why two 6011's (Lincoln, in this case) could/would be used? Not a BIG difference in the two, apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln has bunches of the same number rods that are just a little different. But as far as I'm concerned a 6011 is a 6011. Good farm rod for burning threw anything on ac or dc. Its almost junk when compared to a 5p but A LOT cheaper.

For me though, as far as rods are concerned, I reckon a box of 5Ps and Excaliburs will have ya covered MOST of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    .... Guess the vendor can't make up their mind which they want to carry...
    Shorty,
    Is there a price difference between the two?
    Like Oldendum pointed out, there's a slight physical characteristics difference, not that it would matter to anyone but an engineer.

Have you used anybody else's 6011?
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking more about it I use to use Murex or Harris 6011 I can't remember which but the rod was white and I used to pick them up at the local Airgas before they closed that store 10ish years ago. It ran very smooth for a 6011 on AC. I just used some last year I found in shop on the back of pallet in an open plastic tube. The label had long since disintegrated. They still ran much better than the Lincoln I'm using now but the Lincoln 180 certainly gets the job done well enough.

Edit: Just did some googlin. I believe it was the white Airco( now Murex?) 6011 I used to use that was very good.
    Last edited by kald; 05-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesyarbrough View Post
    Lincoln has bunches of the same number rods that are just a little different. But as far as I'm concerned a 6011 is a 6011. Good farm rod for burning threw anything on ac or dc. Its almost junk when compared to a 5p but A LOT cheaper.

For me though, as far as rods are concerned, I reckon a box of 5Ps and Excaliburs will have ya covered MOST of the time.
    What gives you the idea that 6011 is a junk rod? Just curious. In the structural field where I have welded it is highly regarded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an excellent discussion on the F3 class electrodes and polarity.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...-for-smaw.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

All 6011 burns the same, hot and dirty. It has it's place I have a box of the big stuff on the truck for 2am repairs when a rusty plow gets ripped off a truck.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post
    What gives you the idea that 6011 is a junk rod? Just curious. In the structural field where I have welded it is highly regarded.
    Its not junk. Its junk when compared to a 6010. The arc quality of a 6010 and the stability of the flux when doing open root joints puts it to shame. But then again 6011 are about half the price of 5Ps.

At school the first rod we ran was a 6011. We had to do all joints with it, even open root butt joints. That rod has a much more violent arc and is more prone to arc blow than a 6010.
    The next semester when they let us use 6010s I was in heaven!

There is a reason pipe welders carry 5P even tho 6011 are a lot cheaper. Its all in performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dubl_t View Post
    Shorty,
    Is there a price difference between the two?
    Like Oldendum pointed out, there's a slight physical characteristics difference, not that it would matter to anyone but an engineer.

Have you used anybody else's 6011?
    Pricewise, the Lincoln Fleetweld 180 and 35 6011 rods are about the same price.

So far, I have used 6011's made by Lincoln, Hobart, Forney and (heaven forbid...HF). I would rate them based on my usage, in that order; Lincoln 1st, HF dead last.

As Tozzi pointed out, they burn hot and dirty. Pretty much sums it up. They all will burn deep, but the Fleetwelds seemed to weld the best of them (for me at least). Maybe others will do just as well, but why go further..."if it works, don't fix it".

Post Thanks / Like

The main difference between the two is that the Fleetweld 180 are designed for low open-circuit voltage welders, i.e. "buzz-boxes". I have noticed that some machines seem to "like" the 35s more than the 180s or vice-versa. Just use the one that runs best on your machine.

Still, if you're on DC you should really try the 6010s. The 5P+ do cost a bit more but the regular old 5P (red rods) are about the same price as 6011s but run much smoother.

John
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon-based View Post
    The main difference between the two is that the Fleetweld 180 are designed for low open-circuit voltage welders, i.e. "buzz-boxes". I have noticed that some machines seem to "like" the 35s more than the 180s or vice-versa. Just use the one that runs best on your machine.

Still, if you're on DC you should really try the 6010s. The 5P+ do cost a bit more but the regular old 5P (red rods) are about the same price as 6011s but run much smoother.

John
    OK, that's the kind of info I was looking for on the 6011's. Thanks.

I've been using 180's. Need to try some 35's since I'm on DCEP. It may have been scattered throughout the various replies, but I may not have put it all together (kinda like me...not all together...).

I've used the red 6010 5P's but not the 5P+. I'll get some and try them out.

Thanks to all who responded and provided answers/suggestions.