+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Chris Craft Roamer refit project

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum Chris Craft Roamer refit project

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    ...Hard to find qualified ppl who are actually as "qualified" as they say they are...
    That's worthy of a quote. And even more so around boats, where there are normally neither certifications nor formal training requirements. People get into boat work for love or necessity. Want to make a small fortune in the boat business? Start with a large fortune.

To get good boat workers, one must either be lucky or else really know his stuff. It isn't what someone says about themselves that should guide you. It's what others say about him.

Do your due diligence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    That's worthy of a quote. And even more so around boats, where there are normally neither certifications nor formal training requirements. People get into boat work for love or necessity. Want to make a small fortune in the boat business? Start with a large fortune.

To get good boat workers, one must either be lucky or else really know his stuff. It isn't what someone says about themselves that should guide you. It's what others say about him.

Do your due diligence.
    Well said man!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Problem is...everybody I've fired for incompetence came with great references. It almost seems like they might have mad skills at certain things. But when it comes to the particular skill sets needed to do what I'm doing (or need done), their experience and skills aren't enough. Maybe they were stretching their abilities before and the work just happened to fall within their range, resulting in happy customers. Then my project comes along and the guys are out of their depth but unable or unwilling to acknowledge it.

So from now on, I'm not asking for references. I'm following the sage advice I received here and am just asking everybody to demonstrate they can do the work before I ask them to do it.

In other news, We finally laid some Shiny Awl Craft 2000 on the cabin top and decks!!!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Awl Craft 2000 Matterhorn White on the Cabin top

I'm all giddy.

Q

Post Thanks / Like

If anything can be said about you involving this boat is the fact YOU HAVE EARNED EVERY SINGLE BIT OF THIS MOMENT!!!!!!!!

I think I would have given up during the paperwork fiasco.

It looks amazing.

I was wondering, when you spray the helm enclosure you'll just tape off where the shiny stops right? I'm guessing there's a neutral transition point where you stopped so there's no risk of overspray or Repainting. Does this finish lift if its re coated?

Just wondered. I know some automotive finishes will immediately lift when re coated.

It looks fantastic Q!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked out the link - awesome

Your attention to detail shows.

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Dave!

We're using Awl Grip paint. They have two different flavors--the Awl Grip variety cannot be repaired. It cannot be blended mid-panel but is tough as nails. We're using that for the non-skid sections. Awl Craft 2000 isn't quite as tough, but it can be repaired or touched up without having to paint the whole panel. We're using that one for all of the shiny areas because...things happen. There are plenty of natural break points, so the blend lines should be pretty close to invisible.

Cheers,
    Q

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Thanks for the explanation.

Sounds like the Boatamalans are top notch. You know its gonna look awesome once it's done.

Post Thanks / Like

It's getting more and more done every weekend.

Things have been busy. It's been a while since I've had time to write anything up on the refit. I'll try to catch up this week. My most recent blog article is on making the old mahogany hand rails pretty again.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Refinishing the Mahogany Safety Rail

Cheers,

Q

Post Thanks / Like

What ever became of the engines?
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200
    Bunch of old blue dinosaurs....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wade23454 View Post
    "Naval Academy-trained marine engineer" is not a welder, more like a philosopher of floating objects.
    Awesome quote.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

These boat threads are humbling.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jontheturboguy View Post
    What ever became of the engines?
    After advertising them on craigslist and ebay and getting no responses, I ended up scrapping the blocks and selling the gears. I sold one intercooler and water-cooled carb manifold but still have the other as well as the heat exchangers. As a fan of old mechanical stuff, it was a truly sad day when I brought them to the scrap yard.

Post Thanks / Like

Today's post is on applying the final prime coat of Awl Grip 545 to the aft enclosure. Getting closer to wrapping up this paint job with every passing weekend!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Final Awl Grip 545 Primer on the Aft Enclosure

Cheers,

Q

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The latest blog is about more shiny...this time, it's on the helm dashboard and aft deck interior.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Painting “the Shiny” on the Helm Dashboard

Cheers,
    Q

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome documentary Q.

Looking forward to seeing it done.

Prolly not as much as you tho...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, 7A749.

You absolutely nailed it. lol

Fortunately, at this stage of the game when so much of the prep work is done, every working day brings pretty big, tangible pay-offs. After months of weekends spent on all the prep work, it really is that last two hours spent painting when it all pops into place. I suspect the same thing will happen when the tinted windows go in over a weekend--8 hours of effort but a huge impact in both appearance and weather resistance.

Then begins the interior slog...gad... ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot.

Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Thanks, 7A749.

You absolutely nailed it. lol

Fortunately, at this stage of the game when so much of the prep work is done, every working day brings pretty big, tangible pay-offs. After months of weekends spent on all the prep work, it really is that last two hours spent painting when it all pops into place. I suspect the same thing will happen when the tinted windows go in over a weekend--8 hours of effort but a huge impact in both appearance and weather resistance.

Then begins the interior slog...gad... ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot.

Q
    It's a labor of love I hear.

I don't have the time or mainly the patience for anything of that magnitude.... I envy yours

You're gonna have one bad a$$ boat when it's done. Are you going to be able to get it in the water this year?

I hope so. Such an excellent project!!!!!!!

BTW, I think Awl Grip, 3M & all the rest of the manufacturers of products you use owe you HUGE for the free advertising!!!!!!!

Of course, when you use the best products possible, it generally produces the best possible results. I try to do the same with my (in comparison) menial projects!

Looking forward to the next installment!!!!
    Last edited by 7A749; 08-23-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get her in the water this year. In an earlier article, I wrote before about how the mechanic completely blew off his promised window to get the engines installed, which pushed back closing up the salon roof hatch, which pushed back the paint job and put the project one whole season behind schedule. Since I can't launch in winter, that pushes me back to spring 2014.

Yeah...I keep waiting for the vig from 3M, US Composites and the rest of the vendors. Haven't see a check yet. lol

Speaking of the next installment...

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Painting “the Shiny” on the Aft Enclosure

Cheers,
    Q

Post Thanks / Like

She looks fantastic Q!!!!!!!!

Shame you won't be able to get her in the water, but that's how it goes when other ppl don't meet their deadlines.

Great job on everything man.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, 7A749! I appreciate the kudos. It helps keep the fire going, if you know what I mean.

Big news! I'm firing the replacement welder! lol

I don't mean lol like this is really funny. I mean lol like...wtf else can you do but laugh?

The guy who tested out fine on both 3/4" 6061 plate and beer cans apparently doesn't know what a calendar is. After confirming he was coming out last Friday to weld plates on the transom where we're closing up the original exhaust holes, I showed up on Saturday and found nothing done. I ended up sending a five-man fairing and priming crew home (again) because they didn't have anything to do. It makes no sense to tape off a whole hull for final primer when the bodywork isn't done because yet another clown didn't show up as contracted...or call, for that matter, to say he fell off schedule.

What the hell is it with people???

Anyway, I've got two other welders showing up, one on Thursday and the other Friday this week. I've seen the work of one on a big replating job on an aluminum boat. But I've also been hearing extremely good things about the other one for months. The whole time, though, I could never get his number. Finally got it!

We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned...
    Cheers,
    Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Thanks, 7A749! I appreciate the kudos. It helps keep the fire going, if you know what I mean.

Big news! I'm firing the replacement welder! lol

I don't mean lol like this is really funny. I mean lol like...wtf else can you do but laugh?

The guy who tested out fine on both 3/4" 6061 plate and beer cans apparently doesn't know what a calendar is. After confirming he was coming out last Friday to weld plates on the transom where we're closing up the original exhaust holes, I showed up on Saturday and found nothing done. I ended up sending a five-man fairing and priming crew home (again) because they didn't have anything to do. It makes no sense to tape off a whole hull for final primer when the bodywork isn't done because yet another clown didn't show up as contracted...or call, for that matter, to say he fell off schedule.

What the hell is it with people???

Anyway, I've got two other welders showing up, one on Thursday and the other Friday this week. I've seen the work of one on a big replating job on an aluminum boat. But I've also been hearing extremely good things about the other one for months. The whole time, though, I could never get his number. Finally got it!

We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned...
    Cheers,
    Q
    Man, that really sucks. Big time.

Well, soon enough. You got one hell of a nice boat & the Boatamalans* did you proud.

I was hoping to hear the shiny was on the aft enclosure!

Hell, at this point, grab that 30A, fire up the Trailblazer & burn them plates in yourself. I'm pretty sure your guys can smooth it all out if it is a little rough.

Can't wait to hear more. Hang in there man.

Post Thanks / Like

"Hell, at this point, grab that 30A, fire up the Trailblazer & burn them plates in yourself. I'm pretty sure your guys can smooth it all out if it is a little rough."

I did that before. It worked out OK, but for mission critical areas like the hull at the waterline, cutlass bearings and engine beds, I'm thinking it really should be done by a pro. I know...I'm bein' a sissy.

When I did it before on the aft enclosure, I took the pic below. Three boxes around three welds, and each was done by a different welder--the fabricator who put the aft enclosure together (including twisting the panels and welding two panels in the wrong place), the mechanic/machinist/weldor I fired a bit ago, and me after an hour of practicing for an hour with my 30a/280TB...the same machine the weldor said was a POS that was causing his bad welds.

Last edited by q240z; 08-28-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit

Miller TB280 w/Spoolmatic 30a
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Ancient Millermatic 35
    Zeny Cut50 plasma cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I remember that. I've had difficulty here & there with spoolguns, but usually some tweaking around with wire speed & voltage does the trick. I've found 4043 runs the best for me on a large variety of aluminum. I don't have a great amount of experience with aluminum either tho.

In a lot of field applications, you're not gonna get picture perfect stacks of dimes, although if you have the correct wire, speed, heat & gas very nice welds can be make with that setup you have.

Did any of these "pros" have their own equipment? I would have figured so. I prefer to use my machinery whenever possible, especially on aluminum.

Unless of course the customer has something better

Looking forward to seeing more man.

Post Thanks / Like

The first guy had a shop full of beautiful equipment. I did not know Snap-On made welding gear. But he didn't have any mobile gear.

On Thursday I interviewed a guy whose aluminum plating work I've seen before. Turns out, he's strictly a welder/fabricator and doesn't do things like shaft alignment. BUT he highly recommended the guy who's coming out on Sunday...the same guy who I've heard great things about from a lot of area welders.

But then, I went to the boat on Friday (long weekend) and LO & BEHOLD! The other welder that didn't show up for two weeks was just getting in his truck to drive away. I'd sent him an email telling him ALL STOP, but apparently he didn't get the message. So, he welded a plate in one of the transom exhaust holes and tried to fix the crack in the original mechanic/machinist/weldor's plate welds.

Here's the equipment Guy #2 showed up with. My TB280 is better, but his trailer also held a water pump cooling rig thing and a tig machine.

On the inside, this plate is the one this welder/fabricator fitted and TIGged in. I see some porosity but then this is an old boat with bitumastic coating the inside. Opinions?

Then there's the previous guy's work with the crack at the top. The pic below is what the first guy called finished work, including the big crack along the top.

When I went in the tent to look at the crack repair, I saw cracks propagating in the same place as before. I called the welder over since he hadn't left yet and asked him about it. He said he ground deep into the old welds then made four passes to fill the cracks...but they obviously came back. So he broke out the grinder and TIG and went over it again.

It cracked AGAIN!

So we broke out the router and dug into the crack, which is what you can see in the pix below.

Digging a bit more into the crack area, we could see that--not surprisingly--the crack went all the way through the welds.

The welder/fabricator (who I actually fired for not showing up two weeks ago) is now saying that he thinks the problem is the 4043 filler the first guy used on this 5086 aluminum hull. For the TIG welds on Friday, he used 5052 filler...that cracked.

Thoughts?
    1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit

Miller TB280 w/Spoolmatic 30a
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Ancient Millermatic 35
    Zeny Cut50 plasma cutter

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist