Thread: WNP-200 aka "The Bug"

Post Thanks / Like

WNP-200 aka "The Bug"

Hello all,
    I have an old welder-generator made by Chemetron. Powered by Onan. Model # WNP-200.
    It was left abandoned at a neighboring rent house and the Property owner gave it to me.
    After some cleaning and maintenance, it fires up and runs. Here's my problem.. It will only run for about a minute or two and then the governor will move back and forth and then die.
    There is a lever on what appears to be the fuel pump next to the carb. In one position (down), the carb will appear to flood out. In the other position (up) the carb appears to starve for gas.
    Is this a fuel pump cut-off? The carb looks clean but I haven't taken it apart. Could be a float problem?? Anyone know how to get any service manuals or parts for this? When it runs, it runs great. I haven't tried the welder yet, but the generator is working. I also scouted around the rental property and found the welder leads. Yay! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    jeff72432

2. Likes Elizagouveia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WNP-200 aka "The Bug"

If the float in the carb is stuck open, you'll get the condition you describe. Shut off fuel at the pump it starves for fuel, open it and gas runs free - too much. I bet you'll have to take the carb apart and clean it. Onan parts should not be hard to get, though the company is no longer in business. You may not even need parts!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one and also have the service manual. I'll try to scan some of the info for ya if I can. Hope you're not in too much of a hurry. Been working between 11 and 13 hrs a day lately. Then trying to keep up with home too. They're a good welder, mine will do that on the weld sitting, the points get off on it, get too close.
    Rob H.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! 48willys, I'm in no hurry. Ice storm is over and clean up is going to take a long time.
    Lots of oak firewood for the next several years! I'll check the points. Any idea what the setting should be?

Thanks again!
    jeff72432

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to look it up in the manual tonight when I get home, I'm on the office computer now.
    Rob H.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff the points gap is .020, I need to check mine again as well, I had to weld up my grader blade the other day and it started cutting out again. I'm also gonna check out my govenor, I was reading up on it while I looked up the points gap. Pm me your email and I'll try to scan some of the info for you.
    Rob H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff72432 View Post
    Hello all,

There is a lever on what appears to be the fuel pump next to the carb. In one position (down), the carb will appear to flood out. In the other position (up) the carb appears to starve for gas.
    Is this a fuel pump cut-off?

Thanks!
    jeff72432
    If it's like the pump on a Wisconsin engine I have . . . it's a priming lever . . . and should stroke the fuel pump and return when you let go of it. The purpose is to fill the carburetor with fuel before trying to start it. Try a little penetrating oil on the pivot and see if you can get it to move freely. If it sticks, the pump will not deliver fuel.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I had this problem with a generator a few years back. It turned out to be a very small crack in the float, the float would fill up with fuel and stick open and flood the motor.

Hope this helps

-----------------------------------------------------
    Thanks
    Ken
    Van Ness Builders
    boocrewproduction
    Midnight Haunters Society
    Beyond Midnight

Post Thanks / Like

can you send me the manual to thanks hank

Post Thanks / Like

I dont' have the complete manual on the computer, I've got a few pages scanned I can send them too you and might get the time to scan somemore later.
    Rob H.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same welder and the motor works but no power to the generator. Does anyone have a service manual to share with me?

Post Thanks / Like

I am also loking for a manual/info on this old machine. p.s. mine works great. thanks in advance for any help/info. Pappascott

14. Likes Elizagouveia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

May I please get a copy of the specs if you have them still along with any other info you may have on it? Thank you much.