+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Oxy Fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxy Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Oscar, I measured the female part of 3 sizes of welding tips. Your 7/8 or 0.82" is the 300 series type. I assume this is to big.
    The 100 series measured 0.58" and the Junior is 0.52". I dont have a Junior torch but have two welding tips numbers #0 and #1 for a Junior. If you need the JR size, let me know. I will never use them (I have a 300 and two 100 torch handles)and they are VICTOR.

Also for anyone that doesnt have the VICTOR book, heres a link for a digital copy. It tells pressures used for tip sizes. The link was something Southpaw shared a while back with other good weld info but get a copy if you plan to do OA work. I wonder if propane uses the same pressures

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24433816/Welding-Guide
    Thank you for the info. Its definitely not a 100 or Junior size then, no where near ~0.5" on the female threaded portion, lol. 300 it is.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

So your torch is 7/8" or 0.82". I was confused and thought thats what they sent
    The 7/8" is the Journyman 300 type. Can you compare to torches at Homie Depot or LWS so that you dont get another wrong part because of me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    So your torch is 7/8" or 0.82". I was confused and thought thats what they sent
    The 7/8" is the Journyman 300 type. Can you compare to torches at Homie Depot or LWS so that you dont get another wrong part because of me?
    I don't have any "wrong" parts. The parts I have are what came on the torch. One 1-101 #1 cutting tip (with the cutting attachment), and one #2 welding tip. I'm looking to order more online because I don't get out of work early enough to go to the LWS. My home depot don't have oxy-fuel torches on the shelves. "The 7/8" is the Journyman 300 type" ---that is the critical piece of information I needed. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an older Smiths torch setup I'm trying to put back in service. The Orings are crapped out. I tried replacing them with the bulk box I have (111 IIRC) and they don't seem to be right. the cutting head wont go into the torch body without skinning up the orings. Does the Smiths torch use a special oring? I checked some web retailers an they list a oring for the torch but not a durometer or size. And their $0.65 each. is this a proprietary oring?

The cutting head is a SC509.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two 509 torch I'll you can get the proper Orings at your lws if not one that sells Smith they are great little torches and be rebuild some with a lifetime warranty.
    John

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

well the LWS was a bust. They don't carry anything for the smith torch. Been looking on the web and have found a lot of Orings for a MC509 series but cant seem to find any for the SC 509 cutting head. are these the same Orings? I'm assuming that these are the same torch just one was under Smith and one was under the Miller banner.

Post Thanks / Like

Find a lws that sells Miller they will probably have them or can get them.
    John

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Had the local Airgas guy order me some Orings. Picked up a new set of arrestors and The old Smith is back in service.

Post Thanks / Like

Comprehensive Smith/Miller Product Catalog

O/F kits, assemblies, and components for cutting, welding, heating, brazing, and soldering applications. Lifetime warranty and Made in USA.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Was whinging to my father over christmas dinner at his place that no where local was open between christmas and new years for me to get some bottles to play with my new oxy acetylene kit I had got for christmas.

Takes me out to to his shed and points to the far end, he says I have some tanks under that lot with gas in em, at least last time I opened to cocks the gauges were reading.

Went digging and found a full comet 3 setup with trolley and everything - including an E Acetylene Cylinder and a D oxygen cylinder, each about 1/3 full. Only had my sedan, so went down with the trailer today to pick them up.

I asked if he wants the tanks back when I have finished playing - He says, just take the lot, don't want it back when the cylinders are empty. Woohoo! except I know have two oxy acetylene kits

Post Thanks / Like

best value for a set of flashback arrestors?

I was looking at THESE on Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Watch the threads (male/female) on the cheap arrestors. I had some that came with a cheap Chinese torch that didn't have standard fittings.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used MagneGas II as an Acetylene substitute? Particularly in a DHC 2000 torch.

Post Thanks / Like

Magnagas has a bad reputation around here as unproved reliable usable gas from what I know. Dont know about your torch tho. It probably works but not for what its worth or costs. I dont know the details; just the stock de-value.

Ive followed stocks and it had a momentary hi on stock exchange of about $2 last November and presently low at $0.70 . The BREXIT hasnt helped it and is trading at -%7.8 . I wouldnt blame BREXIT for its poor trading tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Magnegas proponents basically admit the gas sale shtick is promotional BS to sell their main products. In my opinion the company is scamtastic and their marketing style reflects that. If they were serious about it as an acetylene alternative they'd effing promote it and I suggested they do so. Nuffin' came of that. You can find the threads if you care.

If you are using a DHC 2000 you aren't scrapping cars with it. Forget Magnafeces and use acetylene. For what acetylene does, it's cheap.

If ya want to cut a lot (or braze) you can use LP as fuel in other torches by changing cutting tips. The larger scrapping torches are nearly all LP.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't looking to cheap out on fuel cost. If it was hotter the thought that it could help with aluminum welds came to mind. Also liked the sound of better handling stability. Since I have seen so little about it. I was skeptical. Thanks for the input.
    Live to pass GAS!

Post Thanks / Like

Can any one tell me the difference between the Victor cutting tips 1-101 vs. 3-101. As I understand it the 1-101 is for the Heavy Duty Torches while the 3-101 are for the Medium Duty Torches. Both series have all the same size tips and all the specs for psi are the same as far as I know.

I ask because I'm looking to slowly purchase a few cutting tips for my " medium duty " Performer Kit in my sig. I am always looking for good deals on ebay and the likes. My Performer kit came with a 0-3-101 cutting tip so I know 3-101 tips work with my torch. What I don't know is will the 1-101 tips work in my Victor 1350 Torch? I'm just trying to find out if I am only suppose to use 3-101 tips or if the 1-101 dips are ok to use in my torch.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 07-20-2016 at 12:17 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like 1s are larger for one thing. http://www.americantorchtip.com/wp-c...seat-guide.pdf
    Live to pass GAS!

Post Thanks / Like

well they do look longer. Hard to tell if they have a bigger diameter at the base though.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Will this help? Name:  tyop1.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  39.2 KBName:  type3L.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  40.3 KB
    Live to pass GAS!

Post Thanks / Like

1-101 is in fractions and the 3-101 is in decimals. I guess I'll have to learn to convert or look up the conversion for 0.36" to fractions or for 3/8" to decimal. OK 3/8 = 0.375 and
    11/16 0.6875
    so yes it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use my O/A torch for brazing, but I decided to try doing some welding with it. I've been experimenting with welding together some 1/4" mild steel rod, but I can't seem to get a good weld. I'm using a neutral flame, easily get both pieces to melt into what seems like a nice puddle, but the resulting weld is porous and brittle. I can easily break the weld...it almost falls apart. I tried adding some filler (RG-45) but get the same result. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't played with a/o welding much, but would like to start doing it some more. The couple times I did do it, I loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Forney C5 Arc Welder
    Lincoln Idealarc 250-250 Ac/Dc Arc Welder
    Miller Bobcat 225g Plus
    Lincoln PowerMig 200

Forney O/A Rig

Post Thanks / Like

-

Hi All,Ive discovered the header tank in my project KF sat for 6 years before I got it has LOTS of yellowish granular goog adhering to the tank walls, due to total fuel evaporation.Tank now out, need to flush.white vinegar any good? Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: -

Hi Wayne,

Unfortunately, a lot of regulars don't look in on the "Sticky" area. I'd suggest posting this question in this one:

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/forums/2-...y-Fuel-Welding
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

26. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist