Thread: voltage change on Hobart TR 300 arc welder

Post Thanks / Like

voltage change on Hobart TR 300 arc welder

Greetings I'm new to the forum but am hoping that someone out there can help. I purchased a Hobart TR 300 arc welder but it didn't have a manual. So I contacted Hobart and they were able to find one and send it out. My problem is that I want to switch it to 460 volt and the voltage change over diagram is there but the connections diagram isn't. So when it says change positions of lead No. 3 and white lead, I've got no clue what there talking about. So if anyone can help in this mater, it would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: voltage change on Hobart TR 300 arc welder

I realize this is quite an old post. However, it you or someone who can help would help , I'd be very grateful. I have not been able to find a manual for my TR-300 . All I need at the moment is the voltage change diagram. I'm sure you got yours taken care of. But if not , I can help you with the wire numbers. My wires are labeled. I really could use the complete manual for future issues. Or at least a circuit diagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blklstd View Post
    I realize this is quite an old post. However, it you or someone who can help would help , I'd be very grateful. I have not been able to find a manual for my TR-300 . All I need at the moment is the voltage change diagram. I'm sure you got yours taken care of. But if not , I can help you with the wire numbers. My wires are labeled. I really could use the complete manual for future issues. Or at least a circuit diagram.
    https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/f...rmation-wanted

File doesn't open in last post but maybe they can email you pdf from Hobart.

I can tell you it is easy. It is wired just like a high and low voltage motor.

There are two sets of windings. Find each ones ends. Look how the two loops are wired.

On Low 230 they will be in parallel and lower resistance and on high 460 they will be in series making more resistance.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-09-2021 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Some 300 amp machines had a lot of voltage.
    The one I had start at 208, 230, 415, 460 and 600 volts.
    Other machines just 230 and 460 volts.

I had one from 1970 to 2004. Only thing ever need was cleaning out dust ever year.
    I clean out dust on all my welders they last for ever.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Blklstd View Post

5. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the TR300 is 230/460 but yes my friend has a older Hobart tig I went and looked at to get a picture but it was a multi tapped transformer instead of two identical coils like I believe the TR300 may be.

7. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buildhauer View Post
    Greetings I'm new to the forum but am hoping that someone out there can help. I purchased a Hobart TR 300 arc welder but it didn't have a manual. So I contacted Hobart and they were able to find one and send it out. My problem is that I want to switch it to 460 volt and the voltage change over diagram is there but the connections diagram isn't. So when it says change positions of lead No. 3 and white lead, I've got no clue what there talking about. So if anyone can help in this mater, it would be much appreciated.
    I no longer have a Hobart to check but I found this. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/68...page=18#manual

I cannot say if it is accurate or not as I do not have a big Hobart anymore.

Name:  Hobart Jumper Diagram.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  69.0 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the Hobart TR300 are dual voltage 230 or 460.

Does your name plate denote dual voltage or multi ? There is a triple voltage TR300 that seemed like it was common too.

Be careful searching for manual's for this machine. The links are viruses. Royally messed my computer up clicking on them.

This is what most seem like they are,

Last edited by danielplace; 09-11-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just give Hobart a call. get the phone number from their web site.
    Give them the spec number and your e-mail and the will send it to you for free.
    Or you can buy a hard copy and they will mail it to you.
    ITW hobart ended up with all the old Hobart manuals and they had them scanned so they could be e-mailed out when needed.