+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hefty cc/cv Parts

Post Thanks / Like

Hefty cc/cv Parts

I recently stumbled accross a Hobart Hefty CC/CV suitcase. The general appearance of the machine was great considering that it is at least 25-30 years old. Without disassembly that is all the info I had at my disposal. So I rolled the dice. After getting it home and further inspection and testing, the drive motor is shot. Everything seems to be working properly even up to and including the voltage to the motor. After trying to remove and check the brushes I knew we had a problem. One would not move.

So to the question, anyone out there know where I can find a new motor? I have an email in to Hobart to see if they can give me a lead. The only manual I can find online for the Hefty II shows a right angled motor where as this one has a straight orientation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hefty cc/cv Parts

Parts may be hard to find as the hefty suitcase Line was sold off a few times. Thermal Arc was the last company selling them. You may be able to find one on eBay if your lucky.

You could try to take the motor and gearbox and clean it. The electric motor could be rebuilt by Eurton Electric.

Have a old Hobart Hefty, it works great and use for flux core wire. Profax sells drive rolls and the contactor.
    Mine needed a contactor, was able to fit one from a Lincoln LN25, it also needed a bridge rectifier which I got at Allied Electric. For a gun used a Profax gun with the Hobart Back end. Made a adapter to be able to use Bernard center fire tips.
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 12-08-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my email to Hobart netted me a digital copy of the owners manual. Of course the motor has been discontinued without replacement.

Called a local motor rebuilder that quoted me in the 7-800 bucks to rewind the armature as it looks as though it had spent some time under water.

Got an email in to the original manufacturer of the motor Allied Motion and I am hoping that they may have one laying around or something I can make work.

Everything else on this thing looks great considering, if I can work out the motor problem, I think I can resurrect a classic.

Post Thanks / Like

Look in the Grainger catalog. Secondly,,, how did you figure it needs a rewind,,, a guess? Not that it doesnt but make sure thats whats wrong.
    I buy old thing, I fix old stuff and use it but,,,,, you gotta be a parts fixer. Take it all the way apart even after finding something,,, to the point you know more aint broke some more. I got a couple I dont like to work for as they really dont appreciate that or I let them go, drive 25 miles each way for a "carburator" kit when we simpluy got to unstuck the valve, then its the spark plug, cant change oil without 4 trips to the store. Gonna run off and buy a 400$ generator for old tractor but dont wanna pay a shop hour to fix the one they have.
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-09-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed a couple last year or so because I rush to trouble shoot and buy something I didnt need to. I am trying to keep that to a minimum. I fix parts in starters and alternators all the time. Doesnt all need to be new or rebuilt. I did a tranny a while back. We did the same thing and panic and call around to see what prices were and once we calm down and even got away from the manual we didnt even have to take it all apart, fluid was like new, put a screen in but could have skipped that too. Put 2 parts in and back together. Another the problem was not in a sub assembly that gives everyone a fit and takes a whole list of tools.
    Another thing for sure. I bought a contactor ebay the other day and couldnt believe how cheap it was, the brand oem real deal for 1/2 the wholesale house and was here in a day or 2.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a pretty good indicator of a rewind. It sat submerged for some time more than likely. The brushes were stuck. I got them loose, and what I saw on the tips of them led me to remove the back cap. I couldn’t make it any worse. So now we travel down the road of finding a replacement or parting this thing out as everything else seems to work and test out okay.

Post Thanks / Like

should be able to disassemble and clean it. get the brushes working and assemble it.
    Did this on a quad a few years ago. got wet and froze. clean with WD40 put it together and it is still working after several years. just don't break the fuse holder caps. they may be hard to find. There are places that will make custom brushes. just look up brush suppliers.

8. Likes bigwilly01 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    should be able to disassemble and clean it. get the brushes working and assemble it.
    Did this on a quad a few years ago. got wet and froze. clean with WD40 put it together and it is still working after several years. just don't break the fuse holder caps. they may be hard to find. There are places that will make custom brushes. just look up brush suppliers.
    Ccawgc, You are a genius! I would have never thought of that. And I would have never thought it would work.

I spent the last couple hours picking out all the debris and cleaning it up. Sanded down the the brush ring. And blew it out with wd-40 then air. Reassembled and tested with my dewalt 20v battery.

This damn thing works!!! I reassembled into the welder and tested it. It works! I couldn’t be happier. This thing is not a total loss. Now to get some wire in it and test out with my Lincoln Vantage.

10. Likes guajilloweld03 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Mike Huelsman in Ohio. He's an old Hobart / Thermal Arc guru with a crazy amount of older Hobart stuff. He is also a repair center and all around good guy. 419 953-5964
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist